Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
BrokenGeode
16-bit

Re: Games Beaten 2012

Post by BrokenGeode »

Here's my List:

Portal 10/4/12
Metal Slug 7 20/6/12
999 9 Persons 9 Hours 9 Doors 25/6/12 (Technically, only got 7 endings, but CBA getting the others)
Insert Cool Signature Here
lisalover1
Next-Gen

Post by lisalover1 »

I just beat Sailor Moon for the Genesis completely on a whim. I started playing it just for a quick round, and about 3 stages in I thought "Well, since I'm this far, I might as well beat it". What an easy beat-em-up! The bosses were total jokes (especially if you use a turbo controller), save for the last boss who uses screen-filling, undodgeable attacks. Plus, you get infinite continues and 5 lives per continue. Still, I had a good time with the game; it was pretty fun. :)
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
NihonRobot
24-bit

Post by NihonRobot »

1. Skylanders (360)
2. Sine Mora (XBLA)
3. Afterburner Climax (XBLA)
4. Mass Effect 3 (360)
5. Uncharted 3 (PS3)
6. The Simpsons Arcade (XBLA)
7. Motorstorm RC (Vita)
8. ModNation Racers: Road Trip (Vita)
9. Super Stardust Delta (Vita)
10. Lumines: Electronic Symphony (Vita)
11. Resident Evil: Revelations (3DS)
12. Journey (PSN)
13. Twisted Metal (PS3)
14. Resistance 3 (PS3)
15. Warhammer 40K: Space Marine (360)
16. Mighty Switch Force (3DS)
17. VVVVVV (3DS)
18. Saints Row: The Third (360)
19. Resident Evil 4 HD (XBLA)
20. Dear Esther (Steam)
21. Ys Seven (PSP)
22. Fez (XBLA)
23. Captain America: Super Soldier (360)
24. Max Payne 3 (360)
25. Lollipop Chainsaw (360)
26. The Darkness II (360)
27. Sega Vintage Collection: Streets of Rage (XBLA)
28. Sega Vintage Collection: Golden Axe (XBLA)
29. Need For Speed The Run (360)
30. Gravity Rush (PS Vita)

I have very mixed feelings about this game. I absolutely adored the "flight" mechanic (really you're just falling everywhere, but it's like flying!) and falling all around the city was a fantastic experience. Looking for collectibles and hidden items has never been this fun in an open world game.

However, I felt that combat encounters were extremely clunky, and the enemy design wasn't interesting at all. Every time I was assaulted by a group of enemies, I sighed in exasperation. I shouldn't dread combat encounters in an action game. Also, the story sequences were extremely long considering how simple the story was. Oh, and if you play, don't forget to turn of the tilt camera controls, because that gets annoying real fast.

I would have preferred if Gravity Rush was just a puzzle platformer instead of the action game it intended to be, but overall it was still enjoyable. I'd give it, like, a 7 or something.
BurningDoom
Next-Gen

Post by BurningDoom »

Cronozilla wrote:
Balasubbie wrote:
Cronozilla wrote:I beat Super Mario Galaxy 2 last night ... which means I'm still less than half way through the game.

You might as well shave your head now, couple of those special-world stages'll have you ripping your hair out anyways.

Yeah, I'm noticing that. Who says all modern games are easy?

Game Trade/Want List:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28206

Consoles Owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Super GB, N64, Gamecube, GB Player, Wii, Sega Power Base Converter, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, TurboGrafx-16, PlayStation, PS2 Slim, XBox, XBox 360, Game Boy, GBC, GBA-SP, DS, Game Gear, GG Master Converter
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

Post by Cronozilla »

Balasubbie wrote:THOSE WHO FAIL AT AWESOME!

Honestly though, wait 'til you clear Stone Cyclone, I don't think there's a gaming achievement quite like it. This is, of course, without even darting for the Star Coin, which is a whole other bag of misery on top.

I can get the star coin pretty easily. However, I can't exactly ... get all the star pieces so well.

Wii remotes are pretty good pieces of Nintendonium. (not quite as strong as Nintendite). Sadly, if you leave fully powered batteries in them they explode battery acid everywhere :( (I found one completely corroded ... the only thing that kept it contained was the silicon sleeve)
Nanten
16-bit

Post by Nanten »

I just finished Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island for the second time.
Consoles: NES, SNES, DC, PS2, PSP, PS3, 3DS, PS4.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

January-June
Bride of Pin*Bot (from Pinball Arcade) - Vita
Pac-Man Championship Edition DX - PS3
Super Stardust Delta - Vita
DoDonPachi Resurrection - 360 *new*
Bit.Trip Beat - PC *new*

TOTAL: 41

2011 Games Beaten
2010 Games Beaten

I scored a 1cc on Novice/Easy mode (respectively) in each of these, and I am going to list them anyway as both games are tough and I think the even the low difficulty modes were a good challenge.

DDP Resurrection is arguably as good as DDP DOJ, but I haven't really spent enough time yet with this newest entry (and it's been a while since I played the last...) so comparisons are still tough. Both are excellent entries in my favorite Cave franchises.

Bit.Trip Beat provided several "OMG OMG I am going to die!" moments throughout, and I think I need a better mouse to be any good at the later levels of this game (some of the patterns are simply insane). I thought the boss fights, while inspired and grin-inducing, were a bit easy compared to the levels themselves. Still, well worth the pick up in the Steam sale...
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

Lollipop Chainsaw - 8/10 (PS3)

Damn, I was just starting to really get into this game....and it ends. This is a really short game by modern standards. However, if you consider how retro this game feels its short length kind of fits. It feels like I just finished a fun little arcade style game that could have been right at home on the Sega Dreamcast. In fact, the reviews on this game might have been better had it been released back then.

This game has great characters. There were times where I was turned off by juvenile humor and excessive vulgarity, but by the time the end credits roll the number of cool and funny moments outweigh the ones that make you roll your eyes. The game's visual style is fantastic and the soundtrack is excellent, with a lot of cool license tracks sort of like Brutal Legend. Speaking of Brutal Legend, this game has songs from Arch Enemy and Children of Bodom, which will mean something to the metalheads on the board.

The combat in this game isn't too deep, but it's fun. Again, think of it as an arcade game. It's a Suda game, so it's really about playing to see whatever crazy thing is going to happen next. I don't think this game hits the levels of all out weirdness of his previous games, but there's a lot of wacky, silly moments. Like I said, it's feels like an old school arcade game. A lot of them back in the old days were very crazy and over the top. It's maybe more comparable to a game like God Hand, another wacky, retro flavored beat'em up, but I enjoyed this game a lot more than God Hand. Though, it's undeniably not as deep or challenging as God Hand, if that's what you're looking for.

The game has a fun scoring system and ranks your performance at the end of each stage, which are replayable. The bosses are pretty neat, especially the epic last boss. There's also one awesome stage in the game that is a love letter to retro gaming. I mentioned how short the game is. On the plus side, there's apparently more than one ending. I got the bad one. There's other items that have unlocked in the store that I need to check out, and I haven't fully upgraded Juliette (or purchased all her moves/combos), or acquired the best rankings for all the stages, or played very hard mode. So there's some replay value. I think I'm gonna go for the platinum trophy on this one
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
NihonRobot
24-bit

Post by NihonRobot »

Gamerforlife wrote:Lollipop Chainsaw - 8/10 (PS3)

I'm glad to see other people like this one. It definitely has an acquired taste, I think.
NihonRobot
24-bit

Post by NihonRobot »

1. Skylanders (360)
2. Sine Mora (XBLA)
3. Afterburner Climax (XBLA)
4. Mass Effect 3 (360)
5. Uncharted 3 (PS3)
6. The Simpsons Arcade (XBLA)
7. Motorstorm RC (Vita)
8. ModNation Racers: Road Trip (Vita)
9. Super Stardust Delta (Vita)
10. Lumines: Electronic Symphony (Vita)
11. Resident Evil: Revelations (3DS)
12. Journey (PSN)
13. Twisted Metal (PS3)
14. Resistance 3 (PS3)
15. Warhammer 40K: Space Marine (360)
16. Mighty Switch Force (3DS)
17. VVVVVV (3DS)
18. Saints Row: The Third (360)
19. Resident Evil 4 HD (XBLA)
20. Dear Esther (Steam)
21. Ys Seven (PSP)
22. Fez (XBLA)
23. Captain America: Super Soldier (360)
24. Max Payne 3 (360)
25. Lollipop Chainsaw (360)
26. The Darkness II (360)
27. Sega Vintage Collection: Streets of Rage (XBLA)
28. Sega Vintage Collection: Golden Axe (XBLA)
29. Need For Speed The Run (360)
30. Gravity Rush (PS Vita)
31. Theatrhythm Final Fantasy (3DS)

This game is packed with content, so I'm considering it "finished" since I went through and completed each main series within the game. But since there are tons of stuff to unlock and more Challenges to conquer I can see myself playing many more hours of this one.

I ended up liking Theatrhythm a lot more than I thought I would. The design is very simple (you're either holding a note, tapping it, or swiping), but can quickly get out of hand in the Expert and Ultimate songs. And between the three different types of presentation (Emotional Music, Battle Music or Field Music) you definitely have to pay attention.

On top of being able to play music from all the main numbered Final Fantasies 1-13, the characters you use level up and earn new abilities, you can unlock more characters, earn items and find collectible cards. Street Pass also lets you trade a random pairing of two songs (some that can't be found in the other modes), each with a random selection of enemies that show up.

Final verdict: I can't put it down.