02/11 Monster Tale - DS
02/23 Drill Dozer - GBA
03/05 Y's Book I - TG16 via Wii VC
04/29 Captain American and the Avengers - Arcade - MAME
05/31 Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes - DS
06/12 Cave Story - DS
06/20 Green Lantern: Rise of the Manhunters - PS3
06/24 The Walking Dead: Episode 1 - PS3
06/24 Final Fight (Double Impact on PS3)
07/03 Batman Begins - Xbox
07/08 Conan - PS3

Conan was another fun mindless beat'em up game. There was nothing special about this game, but being a fan of the Conan comics and books made this game pretty enjoyable. Oh, and Ron Perlman voicing Conan was pretty cool too.
I do think that the last boss in this game was one of the cheapest ones I have have seen in a while. I don't mind a challenge, but there were times if you weren't in the exact perfect spot you would get swarmed by enemies and could not escape the boss without dying. The game keeps track of how many times you die and I used almost half of all the lives I lost on the final boss.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
Flake

Re: Games Beaten 2012

by Flake Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:53 am

1/2 Cannon Spike (DC)
1/9 Mega Man X4 (GCN)
1/17 Psycho Soldier (PSN)
1/22 Warhammer 40,000: Dark Crusade (PC)
1/28 Police 911 2 (Arcade)
2/7 Soul Calibur V (PS3)
2/26 Metal Gear Solid 2: HD Edition (PS3)
3/7 Street Fighter X Tekken (PS3)
4/14 Sonic CD (PSN)
5/3 Dragon Ball Z: Tenkaichi 3 (Wii)
6/3 Metroid Prime (Wii)
7/1 Metroid: Other M (Wii)
7/1 Kirby's Return to Dreamland (Wii)
7/7 Strikers: 1945 (Arcade)

My buddy and I played the Strikers machine at the local brick and mortar retro store. They had a stand up cab with a credit button bypassing the coin slot. We had to quarter feed the hell out of it after the first few levels but we had a blast all the same. Great game!
The PSTV is amazing.
---------------
Nintendo ID: Mecha_Flake
PS Network: jace-flake
sabrage
Next-Gen

by sabrage Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:27 pm

sabrage wrote:-Serious Sam 3
-Super Mario World
-Donkey Kong Country
-Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge
-Jamestown
-Tyrian 2000
-Super Mario Land 2
-Diablo 3
-Majesty: The Fantasy Kingdom Sim

-Rochard: I didn't like this game at all. Bog-standard puzzle-platformer with some truly awful combat sections and admittedly pretty high production value... But not even Jon St. John could infuse any charm into this soulless physics platformer. I'm just glad it's over, and that I got it for free. I guess if you liked Trine, this might be up your alley.
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:24 am

01/09 Golden Axe Warrior - SMS
01/15 Sonic Generations - PS3
01/25 Back to the Future The Game (all 5 episodes) - PS3
02/04 Soul Caliber - Dreamcast
02/11 Monster Tale - DS
02/23 Drill Dozer - GBA
06/12 Cave Story - DS
07/07 Conan - PS3
07/08 Captain America: Super Soldier - PS3 NEW

In May I was playing the Captain America game and stopped on act 7 of 18. The game is a Batman Arkham Asylum clone with a strong story but repetitive. I liked the story but after seven "levels" that looked exactly alike, different sections of Baron Zemo's mansion, and fighting the same enemies over and over, I got bored and stopped.
Last night after finishing Conan I was in a 3D beat'em up mood and since Captain America was on my summer challenge list I decided to put it in for a couple minutes. By the time I called it a night I was at act 11. Tonight I put the game in after the kids were in bed and finished the last seven acts, which consisted of many boss fights. These boss fights and the story helped keep my interest to finish the game.
If you would have asked me a couple months ago if this was a good game, I would have said no. Now if you asked me I would ask if you are a Captain America fan and if you are the story is worth playing through the boring middle levels.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
MasonB15
24-bit

by MasonB15 Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:53 am

Mega Man 2 - NES
Mega Man 3 - NES
Legend of Zelda - NES
D - 3DO
Contra - NES
Ninja Gaiden - NES
Super Mario Bros. 3 - NES
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - SNES
Super Mario Bros. 2 - NES
Metal Storm - NES
River City Ransom - NES
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - NES
VVVVVV - PC
Portal 2 - PC
Cave Story - PC (Steam Version)
Dark Souls - PS3
Rocket Knight Adventures - Genesis
Actraiser - SNES
Conker's Bad Fur Day - N64
Akumajo Dracula X: Rondo of Blood - PCE
Ninja Gaiden II - NES

Not much to say about this one. It's hard.

Currently playing Resident Evil for the PS1 and Earth Defense Force 2017 with a buddy on the 360.
Luke
Next-Gen

by Luke Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:25 am

Beat SFII on the snes with every character on level 7 (or seven stars) last night.

It's aged a bit in my eyes, more than it has in the past. Still, a classic and one of the most influential games in my life.
final fight cd
Next-Gen

by final fight cd Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:28 pm

snatcher - sega cd
keio flying squadron - sega cd
lords of thunder -sega cd
robo aleste - sega cd
android assault - sega cd
task force harrier ex - genesis
thunderforce III - genesis
steel empire - genesis
lightening force - genesis
phelios - genesis
whip rush - genesis

not much to say about these games. just your average run of the mill genesis shmups.
if you took a shit, please put it back
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:20 pm

01/09 Golden Axe Warrior - SMS
01/15 Sonic Generations - PS3
01/25 Back to the Future The Game (all 5 episodes) - PS3
02/04 Soul Caliber - Dreamcast
02/11 Monster Tale - DS
02/23 Drill Dozer - GBA
06/12 Cave Story - DS
07/07 Conan - PS3
07/08 Captain America: Super Soldier - PS3
07/09 Sonic CD (PS3) NEW

I played Sonic CD with the intent of making sure that I went to the past and completed each level. Yesterday on the Stardust Speedway I accidentally zoomed past the "goal" without fixing the future. With that error, and the game automatically saving, I decided to "beat" the game anyway even though I wouldn't "complete" it. I will go back one day and play through this game again and fix all of the futures to see the "good" ending.

After looking at this list, I feel that I have beat a lot of games in the last couple of weeks, but that is deceiving. The Green Lantern, Captain America, and Sonic CD were all games that I started earlier but gave up on for some reason or another. It wasn't until this summer, and the summer challenge, that I decided to buckle down and finish some of the games that I had started.
BLOG | BST
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:36 am

Super Mario 3D Land 3DS
Professor Layton & The Spectre's Call DS
Trip World 3DS VC
Streetpass Quest II 3DS
Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse - Episode 301: The Penal Zone PC
Kirby's Fun Pak VC
Golden Axe Warrior SMS
Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse - Episode 302: The Tomb of Sammun-Mak PC
Ax Battler: The Legend of Golden Axe Game Gear
Gitaroo Man Lives! PSP
Panzer Dragoon Saga Demo Saturn
Asterix SMS
Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse - Episode 303: They Stole Max's Brain! PC
Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure DS
Picross DS DS
Half Minute Hero PSP
Soul Calibur Dreamcast
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials & Tribulations DS
StarTropics VC
Faselei! NGPC
Ninja Commando VC
Wario Land II Game Boy
Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse - Episode 304: Beyond the Alley of the Dolls PC
Poképark Wii: Pikachu's Adventure Wii
Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse - Episode 305: The City That Dares Not Sleep PC
Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut GC
LostWinds: Winter of the Melodias WiiWare
Dead or Alive 3 XBox
Ys: The Vanished Omens SMS
Trauma Center: Under the Knife DS
Art Style: Rotohex WiiWare
The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary Edition DSiWare
Lords of Thunder VC
Punch-Out!! Wii
Ufouria: The Saga VC
F-Zero: Maximum Velocity 3DS VC
Kirby & The Amazing Mirror 3DS VC
Xenoblade Chronicles Wii
The Sky Crawlers: Innocent Aces Wii
Wario Land 4 3DS VC
Kid Icarus: Uprising 3DS
Kirby's Adventure Wii Wii
Battalion Wars 2 Wii
Game Boy Camera Game Boy
Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love Wii
Red Steel 2 Wii
Final Fantasy IV Advance GBA
Kirby: Mouse Attack DS
Command and Conquer PS1
Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts SNES

Beat the Beat: Rhythm Paradise Wii *NEW*
Grim Fandango PC *NEW*
Total: 52

Rhythm Paradise is only the second game I've beaten this year which was actually released this year. It was definitely worth it though, I enjoyed it a lot. As usual, the series stays on just the right side of bizarre, and has enough catchy tunes to keep you playing, even if a few too many can be a little irritating or could use real instruments rather than the synthesized stuff the game uses. The mini games in this one seem way easier than the DS game, which is both a good and a bad thing. The DS game is incredibly frustrating to get perfects on, but the Wii game might be a bit too easy - of the 24 perfects I have, the majority I got on my first attempt. Most of the mini games are good, and there a few standouts to me, such as Micro-Row, Cheer Readers and Karate Man. There's also a nice little Game & Watch tribute whenever Working Dough shows up, with Mr, Game & Watch appearing in his Cement Factory, Chef and Judgement guises respectively. There are a few duff games though, including the absolutely dire Love Rap, which has horrible timing, poor music and annoying voices... and appears in 5 of the 50 stages, making it probably the most commonly appearing mini game overall. There's a two player mode, which is nice, but you can only play 8 of the 50 mini games in it. Luckily, there are a few really fun endless games available in 2P too, which are really fun and not in single player. In single player, there's a small selection of Toys, Endless games and a few bonus stages too, but because they're kinda hidden away and don't unlock anything if you perfect them, they kinda get forgotten. It would probably have been better if they were levels in the actual main game instead. Still, despite one or two annoyances, Beat the Beat is really good fun and I'm definitely glad I picked it up.

Grim Fandango thoughts, from Snickerdoodle thread: So I spent the morning playing (and finishing) Grim Fandango, and I have to say, although I wasn't really into it much a few days ago, the last two years have somewhat turned me around, and I think it's a great game. On the other hand, it isn't the pinnacle of the genre many claim it to be, at least in my opinion.

The first year had a rough learning curve with the controls, which I must admit still caused me problems once or twice since. The game controls with the movement keys and tank controls, which was ok, but sometimes Manny liked to enter doorways or go up ladders I didn't want him to, and other times he refused to go through said doorways and I had to back up and try again. The inventory system could be confusing when you have lots of items, as you often do in year 1 and 2, because it only displays one item at once. keys 2-9 work as shortcuts to the inventory, but as you cant sort it, accessing items 9+ takes a little mor effort than I'd like. Year 2 was the biggest sore spot for me - the town of Rubacava where it takes place is just WAAAAAAAYYYY to big, and it takes AGES to get around. There were also one or two puzzles in that year that I thought were just unfairly difficult. There were a few problem puzzles in every year of the game actually, and I used a hint guide quite a few times. Many of the troublesome puzzles involved having to look at specific places - one puzzle that took me a while involved me trying to open the safe door. The handle, safe wheel and lock were all seperate items to interact with, but it was hard to see any indication of that.

One thing I can't fault though is the story and characters. Manny and Glottis were likeable all the way through, and many of the other characters (who return throughout the story, even the most minor characters) were also really likeable and fun. The villains were a bit generically evil, but it did the job, and the film noir aspects were fairly well done. The humour, whilst not as much at the forefront as the likes of Sam and Max, was spot on in its timing. The story had the odd pacing problem, particularly in Year 2, but I do wonder if that is a symptom of the puzzles and exploration taking longer in that year more than anything else. Overall, its a fun game, I'd recommend it to genre fans.

Next up: Resident Evil 4 (really, honestly (hopefully)), Oracle of Ages.
geozeldadude
32-bit

by geozeldadude Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:56 am

glad to see i'm not the only one who couldn't get through the "love rap". i actually really like the song, but the rhythm just seems really off. easily the most frustrating sections for me. is it some sort of complicated polyrhythm? i could never really get a handle on it.

oh, and i totally missed the G&W cameos. sweet.
Return to General Gaming