Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
dust_hound
24-bit

Re: What are you playing?

by dust_hound Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:43 pm

Having just finished up a playthrough of Klonoa: Door to Phantomile (PSX, played on PS VITA) which I didn't enjoy all that much, I'm going back to a partially-finished run of Tomb Raider Anniversary (PSP, played on PS VITA). I finished and liked Tomb Raider 1 on Playstation back in the 90s, but it's been so long since then that I had quite forgotten what it was like moment-to-moment, so TR Anniversary is basically like a completely new game. It features modern movement controls and Lara's grappling line from TR Underworld (think it might have been in Legend as well). Really enjoying it so far, and will probably do a tiny write-up in the Games Beaten thread once done.

I'm also playing through Steamworld Heist (PS Vita) which isn't retro, but enjoying it nonetheless.
PretentiousHipster
64-bit

by PretentiousHipster Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:10 pm

This is more me asking for advice, but I wanted to have some rough notes for it as well.

I decided to get shmups another chance. Someone recommended to me Darius Gaiden.

Objectively I can see just how phenomenal this is. The different themes for each zone with some gorgeous backgrounds, the variety of each zone combination is astounding which increases its replayability factor, the fantastic looking bosses, the overall psychedelic atmosphere of it, and the music which feels it flows together as one song. I am just in awe of it.

However, to say that I am doing poorly is an understatement. I can seriously lose all 3 of my lives in a matter of seconds. Since I'm playing it on an emulator I can have unlimited continues, but it's still so discouraging.

Any advice on how shmup noobs should play? I find that the highest priority for me is to just spray and pray, and not even look at where I'm aiming. Just hold the button, and try to dodge everything that comes at me. It works sometimes except for the bosses. I also am turned off by the fact that it rewards good players too much. Yes, if you have a game over they give you some powerups, but the longer you stay alive, the more powerups you get, and the easier the game becomes. I find that weird because the game is already easier if you're good and this just makes it even moreso.

Beat em ups, fighting games, and shmups seem to be the big things for hardcore gamers, so I do wanna get into them. It's just my god are they so challenging.
marurun

by marurun Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:57 pm

Darius Gaiden is a hard shooter. There are easier ones to dip your toes into if you're still new to the genre. There are also different styles of shooters, and some styles never really mesh with some players. Shooters and Fighters are genres that reward frequent practice and play. There's a lot of memorization and learning. If you'd like some good introductory shooter recommendations I'd be happy to help (assuming you have access to the various systems I know well enough).
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
PretentiousHipster
64-bit

by PretentiousHipster Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:32 pm

Good to know that one is more difficult. Yea I would love some recs. I have the pseudo saturn cartridge and the everdrive cartridge for the genesis. SNES and NES stuff will have to wait for game copies of it because of all the moving and furniture expenses.
marurun

by marurun Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:32 pm

Honestly, the best platform for accessible shooters is the TurboGrafx 16/PC Engine, but there are a number on the Saturn. The Genesis has a few, too. I'll type up something for you a bit later today or tonight.
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:21 pm

Insector x on the genesis is an underrated, cheap shump on the genesis. Easy learning curve, looks nice, good music. Radiant silvergun another good one to get into since you build on your progress like an rpg, your ship gets stronger each playthrough you save and gets a little easier. I envy you guys that murder shumps above the normal mode, dont see how you do it, even memorizing stages.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:48 pm

Honestly, I feel like Radiant Silvergun is WAY too hardcore for a beginner to properly enjoy. If you credit feed, you'll get through it, but to really understand the mechanics of the game takes intense memorization and LOTS of practice. Same with Ikaruga. Even though I've seen plenty of people recommend them to beginners and even though Radiant Silvergun was actually the first shmup I owned, to me those are games for experts who are bored with normal shmups.

I feel like Deathsmiles might be the best beginner-friendly shooter. YES, it's a bullet hell which might sound like an instant turn-off to a new player, but you can set the difficulty for each stage and Level-1 difficulty is really pretty manageable and not too overwhelming. And once you're comfortable with that, you can crank it up for a much more intense/challenging game, plus you can experiment with different characters (IIRC for most folks Rosa is the easiest to use and Casper is the hardest). It's there for you no matter your level!

As for HOW to play, I feel like you're on the right track: try to focus on where your ship is and dodging enemy bullets while holding down the fire button, dealing damage to the enemies is secondary to staying alive; this is why spread-shot ships/characters tend to be more beginner-friendly. But a lot of older games especially expect you to play AGAIN AND AGAIN, memorizing the patterns of attacks. So while a lot of classic games might be good, it's also very likely that you will lose A LOT; the key is to have fun playing, aim to improve, and stick with it. If you're not having fun with a shmup, feel free to move on to something else. That's one reason I find the genre much more approachable than fighting games, where I feel like games expect players to sink several hours into figuring out combos and special moves before they even start playing.
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:41 pm

I'm horrible at shumps and radiant silvergun kicked my ass the first few play through but you want to keep playing that game. After awhile you'll get the hang of all the different weapons and when to use them, it gets easier. I'm also not looking to complete shumps in one credit either, just be good enough to hang around awhile and enjoy the game. Ikaruga is another beast altogether.
Note
32-bit

by Note Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:00 pm

soliddus wrote:Currently I am juggling Castlevania: Bloodlines, and Thunderforce IV. On a bit of a Genesis kick. I am really, really loving Castlevania.

Nice, I've also been on a Genesis binge lately. Been playing the shmup Biohazard Battle, I really like the style of the game. The design of the creatures are so bizarre. Really fun game IMO, have been able to get up to level 6.

Also been playing Super Monaco GP, I'm still not good at the game, but I've got a little better, and decent enough to beat a rival and hang in the middle of the pack. I'm up to about the 7th race in World Championship mode.

Also, still playing Skies of Arcadia on the Dreamcast, but have taken a break from it the past few days. Most likely will pick it up again over the weekend, I'm pretty close to the end of the game.
marurun

by marurun Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:17 pm

For Saturn, the various Parodius games are all great introductory shooters, except Sexy Parodius, which is a bit tougher. Thunderforce V is also an accessible shooter, though read up on how to beat make use of the Free Range. Galactic Attack starts off pretty forgiving before turning the screws. Easy to start, VERY hard to finish. Game Tengoku (Game Paradise) is also manageable, and has a cool, silly theme. In The Hunt is an underwater shooter and has a bit of slowdown but isn’t too hard out the gate and looks impressive. If you have a PS1, look up Raiden Project as well. Raiden and Raiden II are two of the more accessible and visually interesting arcade shooters of their time.
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
Return to General Gaming