Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
bacteria
Next-Gen

Re: What are you playing?

by bacteria Thu May 27, 2021 8:42 am

I'm currently playing Red Alert 3, before going back to C&C Generals and Red Alert 2. Only other games I really play sometimes are Quake 3 and versions of enhanced Doom games like Doom 64 for Windows.
I am the Bacman
Ack

by Ack Thu May 27, 2021 12:17 pm

bacteria wrote:I'm currently playing Red Alert 3, before going back to C&C Generals and Red Alert 2. Only other games I really play sometimes are Quake 3 and versions of enhanced Doom games like Doom 64 for Windows.

No shame, you're at least playing good games.
bacteria
Next-Gen

by bacteria Thu May 27, 2021 3:34 pm

I have no interest in modern games and have stuck to the above games as I always go back to them. I prefer Red Alert to Command & Conquer games as they are fairer as opponents and also have a bit more humour. I like quality games that rely on game-play rather than flashy graphics or "trying to be clever" games. If i'm not playing those games I like games like Mahjonng or Picross; depends on my mood at the time.
I am the Bacman
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Thu May 27, 2021 3:57 pm

bacteria wrote:I have no interest in modern games and have stuck to the above games as I always go back to them. I prefer Red Alert to Command & Conquer games as they are fairer as opponents and also have a bit more humour. I like quality games that rely on game-play rather than flashy graphics or "trying to be clever" games. If i'm not playing those games I like games like Mahjonng or Picross; depends on my mood at the time.

Three cheers for old games. Anything past the PS2 era I skip completely, and even in the early 2000s the trend has been to downsize, not grow my collection.
Ack

by Ack Thu May 27, 2021 3:59 pm

Yeah, I have mainly been focused on my PC games for the last five years or so. Making progress on my classic RPGs!
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Fri May 28, 2021 5:10 pm

Beat Kirby's Return to Dream Land single-player on Wii. Now doing multiplayer with my daughter. Great game in the classic straightforward platformer style.

Also been hitting up Millipede on the 2600 here and there.

Will probably try Psyoblade on Mega Drive once these are done.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Sat May 29, 2021 9:58 pm

Ack wrote:Yeah, I have mainly been focused on my PC games for the last five years or so. Making progress on my classic RPGs!

I have dived into Pool of Radiance but the c64 version and it was fascinating but it was definitely diving in too deep waters and I thought I was gonna drown. I should give it another chance soon.

Anyways playing more Batman The Brave and the Bold and tbh it should be considered an essential Wii game. It's helping me learn how to play beat em ups (even though Robin is so overpowered) and makes me wanna find more of the genre that are good for beginners. Any suggestions?

Tried out Mushroom Men: The Spore Wars and the soundtrack is phenomenal. To my surprise Les Claypool composed it
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

by Raging Justice Sun May 30, 2021 2:43 pm

PretentiousHipster wrote:
Ack wrote:Yeah, I have mainly been focused on my PC games for the last five years or so. Making progress on my classic RPGs!

Anyways playing more Batman The Brave and the Bold and tbh it should be considered an essential Wii game. It's helping me learn how to play beat em ups (even though Robin is so overpowered) and makes me wanna find more of the genre that are good for beginners. Any suggestions?

I've not played the Wii version (though I do own it), but there's a version of Batman The Brave and the Bold on the Nintendo DS that is fun. It's a mix of beat 'em up and platforming.

As for beginner friendly beat 'em ups. You can try:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time (Super Nintendo) - It's a classic, and significantly easier than the arcade game that it is based on. The ground slam move really helps you dominate the game. Just attack an enemy once, then get close to him and hold up or down plus the attack button

Some of the River City games are easy to get into, try Tokyo Rumble, which is excellent. River City Girls isn't quite as good, but it's fun and accessible and it may get a sequel. It's also from Wayforward, who made The Brave and the Bold games. They actually updated the game post release to address some aspects of the game players complained about to make it even more accessible. Remember, whenever you struggle in a River City game just focus on increasing your levels or increasing your stats (usually happens from eating food)

Way of the Passive Fist- This is rather unconventional, as it focuses entirely on parrying, but the game lets you customize every aspect of its difficulty. I don't know any other beat 'em up that lets you do that

Streets of Rage 2 - On normal difficulty, the game isn't too bad until the later levels where the difficulty spikes up a bit. By then, you should have lots of extra lives though. You can always play on easy too. Pros say Max is the best character, but I think Axel is the most beginner friendly. Double tap forward + punch does his Grand Upper, which is very strong.

Thor: God of Thunder (Nintendo DS version) - Another Wayforward game, really fun and pretty accessible.

Guacamelee - This is more of a Metroid game, but it features a lot of beat 'em up gameplay. The game gets pretty hard at times, but the first hour or so of the game teaches you how to play and throws you into fairly simple battles to help you learn the combat. Super Turbo Championship Edition is the best version of the game

A little gem no one talks about is A King's Tale: Final Fantasy XV, I believe you can actually get the game for free. It's fun and easy to play.

Other suggestions:

The Ninja Saviors on the Nintendo Switch, or play the original version on the SNES
Three Dirty Dwarves on the Sega Saturn
There are two Power Rangers games on the SNES I think that seem accessible.
For 3d beat 'em ups, try some musou games like Dynasty Warriors 5. Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks is fun too

Two games I've dabbled a bit into recently that don't seem too hard are Raging Justice - hence the user name, and Bladed Fury. If you double tap forward in Raging Justice it does a very strong move that is fast, has high priority, and very little recovery time. I haven't finished either game though.

I love the beat 'em up genre, though I can be a bit picky about the ones I actually like though
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Sun May 30, 2021 10:02 pm

Raging Justice wrote:Ilove the beat 'em up genre, though I can be a bit picky about the ones I actually like though

Well...you are named after a pretty sweet modern beat ‘em up I have on my Switch!

Welcome to the forums, BTW. We love our beat ‘em ups here; so, I hope you’ll check in from time to time to talk about them.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

by Raging Justice Mon May 31, 2021 10:47 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
Raging Justice wrote:Ilove the beat 'em up genre, though I can be a bit picky about the ones I actually like though

Well...you are named after a pretty sweet modern beat ‘em up I have on my Switch!

Welcome to the forums, BTW. We love our beat ‘em ups here; so, I hope you’ll check in from time to time to talk about them.

I certainly will. Thank you!
Return to General Gaming