What are you playing?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
pook99
128-bit

Re: What are you playing?

Post by pook99 »

PretentiousHipster wrote:
marurun wrote:Honestly, the best platform for accessible shooters is the TurboGrafx 16/PC Engine, but there are a number on the Saturn. The Genesis has a few, too. I'll type up something for you a bit later today or tonight.

Thank you so much for the recs. I was thinking about a few arcade ones since I now have a fightstick, but yea pretty much every arcade game I've tried so far is super difficult. I guess it makes sense cause they wanted you to spam quarters?

I was considering buying the TurboGrafx 16/PC Engine. I gotta sort out the moving expenses first but some time in the fall I can afford it. Is it worth getting the console, or just getting the mini?

You should emulate the console first, tg16 and cd emulators are great, so I would emulate it first, see if you enjoy the games, and then you will be able to make a more informed decision about whether or not it is a system you would want to collect for. It will also give you some time to research the tg16 market and see if the prices of getting into it are even worth it for you.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

I picked up a Dreamcast Keyboard and Typing of the Dead for 300 yen a piece today, and I gave that a shot (and I should mention that, while that is cheap for a DC keyboard even here, I've also seen plenty of them for 1000 yen, so I guess they're just way way more common here than in the States).

While I did have a good deal of fun with it, I think it is more or less impossible to complete it for the time being ^^;. I cannot actually both read the questions and the answers for the Chapter 3 boss NEARLY fast enough to be able to do that boss's gimmick, so that's just a brick wall I cannot get past with my current knowledge of Japanese. Maybe someday I'll be able to beat it, but for now it's just a fun thing that I'm glad I didn't pay too much for :lol:
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
dust_hound
24-bit

Post by dust_hound »

I haven't been having as exciting adventures in imports as many of you, but have been enjoying a relatively niche experience nonetheless. I've just reached the end of Armored Core: Silent Line Portable for PSP, played on PS Vita, and now am going backwards chronologically to Armored Core 3 Portable. Both have that in-depth mecha tinkering vibe, with some pretty tough missions. At release, AC3p was slated as it had some kind of input lag (as well as of course the reduced controls on a PSP versus a PS2 controller), but I think this might have been reduced in the version that's available via PSN. Definitely both are enjoyable as long as one spends time getting accustomed to the control layouts. I think these portable versions may have slightly less scope for different builds due to the added control difficulty barrier, and I often resorted to my heavy build with powerful weapons to cheese through the missions, but I still had a good time. The story on these games is basically told exclusively through mission briefings and emails to the player character, and they're fairly bare-bones, but I enjoyed the gradual drip-feed of story and mysterious happenings in ACSL, and it's the same in AC3.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Bomberman 64: The Second Attack is a very rare game in English, but a very cheap game here in Japan, so I picked up a copy for 500 yen a few days back and have been playing it more or less since. It's a pretty rough game, all around, and the American version has some significant improvements according to TCRF, and that amounts to the Japanese version being an overall far harder game. There are two endings, with a different final boss on each. I tried the bad ending's boss a day ago and that guy is legit close to impossible on the Japanese version (Bomberman moves much faster in the English version, so dodging his super fast attacks is actually possible in that game). I gave the good ending's boss a few tries today and that one is indeed easier but still very difficult. I maybe could've beaten it today but the game crashed on me after I'd gotten it to its 3rd and final phase (gotta hit it 12 times) but then died. I'd really like to beat this game, and I'll probably write a review whether I beat it or not, but if it crashes on me again, then that's the final straw. At any rate, I'm calling it a night for that game today. I'm not in the mood to go through the HOUR+ of level before that boss yet again right now Xp
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Syndicate
32-bit

Post by Syndicate »

...I'm still working on Trial of the Fool in Hollow Knight. I'm starting to wonder if I should just go ahead and finish the game at this point.

...doubling back tot he shooters convo from a few posts back, I'm starting to get back into these games now. I've picked up a few lately (Gaiares, Otomedius Excellent, Battle Gareega Rev.2016, and Caladrius Blaze) and I have my eye on a few more that I missed and look interesting (Akai Katana, Raiden V, Vasara Collection, Chaos Field, Silpheed Lost Planet, Astebreed, Guwange, and Triggerheart Exelica) and still have plenty of others to get caught up on. I honestly don't have enough time in the day all of this :lol:
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

Playing chicken little for wii, pretty fun 3rd person platformer/shooter/space fighting game. Gives off a bit of a ratchet and clank vibe, with a great control scheme, I love the way wii handles shooters.

Tomorrow I'm definitely starting bloodstained: curse of the moon 2, I work half day Fridays so I should be home by noon to start it, I'm tempted to bring my switch to work and hide in my office but I will exercise restraint.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay kind of reminded me of Half-Life 2 in the terms of how it flows the same way and blends through different environments seamlessly. I honestly enjoyed it more than Half-Life 2. Will hopefully make a video review of it soon, but still in the middle of the chaos of moving.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I was just playing DKC Tropical Freeze for the first time since it first came out on the Wii U. But I don't know what's going on, I'm having a hard time with the controls. Specially, the two action buttons. Which is grab and which is pound. I'm playing on the Switch now, but I don't remember having this issue when I was playing on the U.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

I been playing a lot of Daemon X Machina and I think the game made a mistake. Since it's from some former Armored Core staff and since every From game has a Moonlight blade. DXM has something similar but only supposed to get it post-game hidden in a wall. I did an online solo mission and I found it in a room. I can't find a mention of this online. Every guide points to the post-game version. So pretty happy about that.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

I started Bomberman Hero today, because I wanna get through my N64 Bomberman games that I went through so much trouble to buy before I try and get super into my PCE Mini :lol:

I remember enjoying it as a rental when I was a kid, and then I also remember quickly losing interesting in it when I tried it a couple years ago, but I'm enjoying it alright now~. From how I remember it based on my most recent attempt to play it, it plays a lot better than I remember it. It's a surprisingly competent 3D platformer that, while it ain't exactly settin' my world on fire, IS more Bomberman to have fun with, which is a win in my book :lol: