What are you playing?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: What are you playing?

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:KING’S FIELD

So when you say you're playing King's Field are you playing the game called King's Field or the other game called King's Field??
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:KING’S FIELD

So when you say you're playing King's Field are you playing the game called King's Field or the other game called King's Field??

I’m playing the original, Japanese King’s Field using a fan translation. The graphics and animation are VERY primitive, but the game is nonetheless quite engaging. (Also, everything about it is so cryptic, I am not sure the translation is entirely necessary.) I’m on the second floor of the King’s Cemetery now, and the game’s moving along now. Unlike later games, the enemies respawn; so, you can actually grind a bit for golf and experience. This also means that you don’t have to kill everything to ensure you’re leveled appropriately. (I got back into the rhythm of King’s Field combat pretty quickly, though; so, I still kill everything in my path.)

Again, these games really need a re-release or remake. If you fixed a few issues (i.e., control scheme, turning speed, and MP regeneration) and updated the graphics, the outstanding atmosphere, dungeon design, and basic mechanics would really shine through.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

Age of Calamity is um, something... that's for sure.

I like the part where you fight a Moblin. And then there's a part later on where you fight a Moblin... and then another... and another... and oh this one is blue.... and another... and two at once wow! ... and another... and oh this one is elemental, oh k back to normal, oh another elemental one... oh a blue and a elemental one at once... and fighting a skeleton one... etc.

Of course with mushu games the "minion enemies" are disregarded, but even if we include them I wouldn't be surprised if the first Zelda game has more enemies than this one. At least if you do distinct enemies instead of just "8 versions of the same enemy"
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I started MO: Astray last night. It’s an outstanding puzzle-platformer in which you play a nice little blob escaping a gruesome laboratory/planet. The pixel art is stunning, and it has fantastic atmosphere. Moreover, it ISN’T a metroidvania, which is actually a bit refreshing.

I’m thinking of following it up immediately with Carrion, where you play as a much less-friendly blob escaping a laboratory...
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

I am not exaggerated I might legit like Zelda's Adventure more than Age of Calamity. At least the former had some great concepts to it. The latter has some of the worst grinding I've seen for items (even worse than Skyward Sword), an inexcusable camera, and the most braindead combat. Not to mention the plot is terrible anime stuff and I hate anime in the first place. Weird because I remember liking Hyrule Warriors a lot, maybe it was the more enemy variety and more arcade-like nature of it.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Doing a decent job getting into the Myst series. Working on my video for it and it's going to be by far my most ambitious project (plot-driven and one skit will involve me singing a cheesy as hell 70s hard rock ballad with myst-lyrics).

Myst - Great setup for the plot, and the feeling of isolation it gives is fantastic. I really hated the maze part though and having to retrieve one page at a time
Riven - Fantastic world, with mindblowing transitions (although the myst clone Obsidian had my favourite transitions), only like two puzzles, but the marble one seems impossible. Even the strategy guide said a bit of it is total guesswork!
Myst 3 - My favourite of the bunch so far. The ages in there are just phenomenal, especially the plant-based one. There was a sequence in another age where you combine all the puzzles together and it was a jaw-dropping segment. Plus Brad Dourif plays the villain!
Uru: Complete Chronicles - This screams ambition. It was probably the most atmospheric of the bunch so far. But like, platforming, in MY myst?

Now I'm playing Myst 4. The initial puzzle of changing sound waves was maybe the most frustrating puzzle I have ever played in a video game. Even with Atrus telling you exactly what to do each step of the way you will be lost simply because of how finnicky it is. It is picking up after this at least, and I gotta say, even though this is 3D from 2004, to call the graphics gorgeous is an understatement. It still looks amazing to this day.

I hope I'll complete my video within 3 months.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Yeah, the sound wave puzzle made absolutely no sense. I just fiddled with the machine until I met whatever dumb criteria he was looking for, because it never felt like any of it was explained, even when it was being explained.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

There was another infuriating puzzle of using the wind cranks to call monkeys. Not only was the puzzle complex, but it would have been fine on its own, the thing is once again the mouse controls were so finnicky. Fortunately it was followed by a segment so damn beautiful that it made me cry.
Last edited by PretentiousHipster on Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ack

Post by Ack »

If it helps, the monkey puzzles are considered some of the most complicated in Myst IV. Not saying the rest is a breeze, but once you finish that section, you're through the worst.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Rome: Total War Remastered. Mostly got it because now I can play it on Linux without Wine. Before, executable mods wouldn't play right with it. They changed the UI a little bit, but overall it's still the same great game, just updated.

Enjoy a discount if you already have the classic game in your Steam library.