Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
marurun

Re: What are you playing?

by marurun Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:11 am

I started Dragon Quest 8 on 3DS last week. I'm now about 10 hours in and I like it pretty well so far. The enemy animations are fantastic. I'm a little annoyed by just how quickly the game has started using palette-swap enemies, though. It feels weird to go from one area to the next and find a portion of the enemies look almost exactly the same but a bit harder. And the color changes aren't always that blatant, either. So that feels like a questionable design choice to me. But otherwise the game is lots of fun. I've managed to get people killed pretty regularly and I'm spending too much money to play with the alchemy sub-system. That said, grinding is mostly fun. The Tension system, where you "charge" your power for a big attack, is kind of cool, but also feels a little too necessary. At least with the lead character I feel like I'm constantly charging prior to attacking unless the enemies are pushovers. I do really like the skills system and how each skill has incremental ability and boost unlocks. The music is a mixed bag. On the one hand, they are recognizable and classic tunes. On the other hand there's not enough new music. On yet another hand they sometimes sound very "cheap General MIDI" (and at other times they sound pretty good). The voicework and localization is, on the whole, pretty darn good, so that's nice.

So far the game is balancing complexity and simplicity nicely. It also balances seriousness and silliness well. It feels like a more measured and conservative take than Final Fantasy and I think it really benefits from that maturity. At least until you see Jessica's outfit... I cannot take that character seriously due to the problematic design. Ah well...
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:42 pm

Far Cry 6: Ultimate Edition for PS4/5 was on sale recently for a damn good price, so I snagged it. Also I recently got my code for the PS4/5 version of Prodeus.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

by Raging Justice Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:48 am

Been playing the boring, tedious, cheap, rigged, RNG ridden, grind fest, trash, RPG that is Circus Electrique, with its boring story and boring characters. When I think of a game that represents all of the worst aspects of the RPG genre, it's this one.

On a more positive note, I've been enjoying the Cowabunga Collection.
RobertAugustdeMeijer
24-bit

by RobertAugustdeMeijer Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:25 pm

Tunic! It's amazingly good!

I love the game's use of "fuzzy gates": parts of the game you will have a very hard time getting through unless you find the right item. This keeps the game mysterious ("Should I be doing this difficult part now or later?") and offers exciting choices when it comes to exploration! I think I'll write to Edge magazine about this :mrgreen:
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:16 pm

RobertAugustdeMeijer wrote:Image

Tunic! It's amazingly good!

I love the game's use of "fuzzy gates": parts of the game you will have a very hard time getting through unless you find the right item. This keeps the game mysterious ("Should I be doing this difficult part now or later?") and offers exciting choices when it comes to exploration! I think I'll write to Edge magazine about this :mrgreen:

How far into it are you? I’m entering the final stretch, and it’s really good. TONS of satisfying secrets.
RobertAugustdeMeijer
24-bit

by RobertAugustdeMeijer Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:23 pm

I'm not sure how far I am in the game, but I now have the three hexagons. I think you should be able to jump in this game, but can't so far. I also just found out you can play music, I think? It's a bit vague, but I want to try out more stuff with the buttons!
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

by Raging Justice Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:34 pm

Man, getting to play some of these turtles games again in the Cowabunga Collection is painful. The console games and handheld games are mostly good, but the first game on the NES is pure garbage and the two arcade games are as well. Turtles in Time on the SNES is great though, far better than the garbage arcade game it was based on.

This is why the word "classic" has to be taken with a grain of salt. Some of the "classics" in this collection are awful.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

by Raging Justice Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:43 pm

It's funny, the first ninja turtle arcade game is one of my earliest fond memories of playing an arcade game and more specifically, an arcade beat 'em up. But my god, playing it now as an adult without the rose colored glasses on, I'm amazed at how awful it actually is. Sometimes the past isn't worth revisiting.
Ack

by Ack Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:04 am

Aren't you like 15?
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:39 am

The Turtles arcade game is like beat 'em up comfort food. Not one of the best, but a really fun quarter-muncher. Infinitely nostalgic to those who grew up in that era too, much like the Simpsons and X-Men games.

The NES Turtles game is indeed truly awful. It seems like Konami was crafting a bunch of unique nonlinear action-adventure games at the time, but got lazy when it came to what ostensibly could have been their biggest hit. Ai Senshi Nicol, Esper Dream, Castlevania II, Getsu Fuuma Den, and even The Goonies are all vastly superior.
Return to General Gaming