Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Nintendork666
Next-Gen

Re: What are you playing?

by Nintendork666 Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:47 am

PretentiousHipster wrote:I honestly can't get into JRPGs because of their slow setup, mediocre plots, and grinding. I might have finally found one that is super special, but I doubt if most people would count it as a JRPG: Everywhere Road Trip. I absolutely love its charm and the overall gameplay of it is driving me (not intended) to be a completionist.

Interesting, as I've gotten older jrpgs are the one genre which I feel has actually aged the best as far as retro games are concerned

Even former favorites are getting difficult to return to
AMD Ryzen™ 9 7900X // MSI GAMING X TRIO GeForce RTX 3090 Image
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:35 pm

Dysmantle for Switch has been my jam for about a month now.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Fri May 06, 2022 11:16 pm

You guys definitely gotta get on Ripened Tingle's Balloon Trip of Love. It's up there amongst the greatest zelda games and I am being 100% serious. The perfect mix of being wholesome/charming and disturbing, and a constant change of mechanics and genres. There is one instance that might be the biggest act of trolling against you, the player.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Fri May 06, 2022 11:45 pm

Nintendork666 wrote:
PretentiousHipster wrote:I honestly can't get into JRPGs because of their slow setup, mediocre plots, and grinding. I might have finally found one that is super special, but I doubt if most people would count it as a JRPG: Everywhere Road Trip. I absolutely love its charm and the overall gameplay of it is driving me (not intended) to be a completionist.

Interesting, as I've gotten older jrpgs are the one genre which I feel has actually aged the best as far as retro games are concerned

Even former favorites are getting difficult to return to

I'm the opposite. I used to love (some) RPGs as a kid, but now they do nothing for me. The stories were great for a developing mind, but they aren't powerful to me anymore. I'd rather read a book.

Action RPGs I'll forgive, though. I can ignore the bad writing if that means I'm actually doing something with the game.
marurun

by marurun Sat May 07, 2022 8:57 am

I have actually come to appreciate the simpler RPGs, the ones focused more on just telling a story instead of getting mired in bad philosophy. RPG deep thoughts are usually pretty badly handled, but RPGs excel at simple adventure stories.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Sat May 07, 2022 9:34 am

marurun wrote:I have actually come to appreciate the simpler RPGs, the ones focused more on just telling a story instead of getting mired in bad philosophy. RPG deep thoughts are usually pretty badly handled, but RPGs excel at simple adventure stories.

This is why I have a problem with a lot of anime. When they try to come across as "deep" they just make the plot so unnecessarily convoluted. It pretty much always fails in that regard.
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Sun May 08, 2022 10:01 am

I've been playing Super Cyborg on the switch- a really good contra clone and Super Nano Blaster on steam- fun shmup with and interesting plane swap gimmick. Both pretty cheap.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Sun May 08, 2022 8:26 pm

stickem wrote:I've been playing Super Cyborg on the switch- a really good contra clone and Super Nano Blaster on steam- fun shmup with and interesting plane swap gimmick. Both pretty cheap.

Nice. I picked up Super Cyborg the other day and played through the first level. It’s just on the right side of being a reskinned Contra ROM, but that’s fine with me. If you’re going to copy something so blatantly, you might as well copy the best!
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Tue May 10, 2022 1:46 pm

PretentiousHipster wrote:You guys definitely gotta get on Ripened Tingle's Balloon Trip of Love. It's up there amongst the greatest zelda games and I am being 100% serious. The perfect mix of being wholesome/charming and disturbing, and a constant change of mechanics and genres. There is one instance that might be the biggest act of trolling against you, the player.

Just beat it. Seriously, I don't care what you think of Zelda. Play it ASAP
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Tue May 10, 2022 1:54 pm

I'm still mostly fucking hard with Dysmantle for Switch. I'd be surprised if it wasn't my most played Switch game of all time. It's a survival action RPG with a heavy emphasis on destroying damn near everything and using the resulting materials to craft new items or upgrade current gear. I recently got the sledgehammer and now I can destroy cars.
Return to General Gaming