What are you playing?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
pook99
128-bit

Re: What are you playing?

Post by pook99 »

Syndicate wrote:...I'm working on wrapping up Hollow Knight but the Trial of the Fool is just tough. I also have Streets of Rage 4 in rotation and have finally made it back to the AC series and started Assassin's Creed III today. I'm going to try to get through the main games to get caught up before Valhalla launches this holiday.

I really enjoyed AC 3, it has a pretty bad reputation but I think its a solid game
TheSSNintendo
128-bit

Post by TheSSNintendo »

Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

A few weeks ago I tried Ancient Stone Tablets, but I must have screwed up the .msu file or something because it didn't carry over. I was too frustrated to repeat the first week again. I've decided to try it again today, and I used a version from a website that makes it automatically save. It once again didn't save... Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I'm at the point where I might just play the master quest version without the broadcast mode.
soliddus

Post by soliddus »

Currently I am juggling Castlevania: Bloodlines, and Thunderforce IV. On a bit of a Genesis kick. I am really, really loving Castlevania.
opa
Next-Gen

Post by opa »

I'm playing a bit of Mario Galaxy for the first time since '08. The game looks gorgeous with component cables. It's not as sharp as the Wii U Mario games but it's not that far off.

The controls still suck though. I've never been all that comfortable navigating the planets in Galaxy.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

Started diablo 3 on the ps3 a week ago, up to level 61 wizard about to finish Act 4. enjoying it more than diablo 2, only other i've played. I much rather use a controller than mouse and keyboard.
dust_hound
24-bit

Post by dust_hound »

Having just finished up a playthrough of Klonoa: Door to Phantomile (PSX, played on PS VITA) which I didn't enjoy all that much, I'm going back to a partially-finished run of Tomb Raider Anniversary (PSP, played on PS VITA). I finished and liked Tomb Raider 1 on Playstation back in the 90s, but it's been so long since then that I had quite forgotten what it was like moment-to-moment, so TR Anniversary is basically like a completely new game. It features modern movement controls and Lara's grappling line from TR Underworld (think it might have been in Legend as well). Really enjoying it so far, and will probably do a tiny write-up in the Games Beaten thread once done.

I'm also playing through Steamworld Heist (PS Vita) which isn't retro, but enjoying it nonetheless.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

This is more me asking for advice, but I wanted to have some rough notes for it as well.

I decided to get shmups another chance. Someone recommended to me Darius Gaiden.

Objectively I can see just how phenomenal this is. The different themes for each zone with some gorgeous backgrounds, the variety of each zone combination is astounding which increases its replayability factor, the fantastic looking bosses, the overall psychedelic atmosphere of it, and the music which feels it flows together as one song. I am just in awe of it.

However, to say that I am doing poorly is an understatement. I can seriously lose all 3 of my lives in a matter of seconds. Since I'm playing it on an emulator I can have unlimited continues, but it's still so discouraging.

Any advice on how shmup noobs should play? I find that the highest priority for me is to just spray and pray, and not even look at where I'm aiming. Just hold the button, and try to dodge everything that comes at me. It works sometimes except for the bosses. I also am turned off by the fact that it rewards good players too much. Yes, if you have a game over they give you some powerups, but the longer you stay alive, the more powerups you get, and the easier the game becomes. I find that weird because the game is already easier if you're good and this just makes it even moreso.

Beat em ups, fighting games, and shmups seem to be the big things for hardcore gamers, so I do wanna get into them. It's just my god are they so challenging.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Darius Gaiden is a hard shooter. There are easier ones to dip your toes into if you're still new to the genre. There are also different styles of shooters, and some styles never really mesh with some players. Shooters and Fighters are genres that reward frequent practice and play. There's a lot of memorization and learning. If you'd like some good introductory shooter recommendations I'd be happy to help (assuming you have access to the various systems I know well enough).
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Good to know that one is more difficult. Yea I would love some recs. I have the pseudo saturn cartridge and the everdrive cartridge for the genesis. SNES and NES stuff will have to wait for game copies of it because of all the moving and furniture expenses.