Next-Gen

Re: Retro Game Store Directory

Post by CRTGAMER »

Chula Vista Video Games
424 Broadway
Chula Vista, CA 91910
Phone: (619) 961-0408

https://www.facebook.com/chulavistavideogames/?_fb_noscript=1

A recently opened store with a good selection of older games. I saw some rare titles for the PS2 and Xbox (already own) I have not seen for years. Get the impression many from personal collections due to the volume of uncommon titles. A selection of Gamecube games were under glass with Ebay prices, but many games for various systems though not stickered could be a decent price.

I picked up three commons that I did not have yet (PS2 Mercenaries 2, PS2 Mark Of Kri and Xbox Kingdom Under Fire) for only five bucks CIB each and NO SALES TAX! I suspect the store offered the "introductory prices" (5 bucks pretty good considering independent store) to entice me as a returning customer, I'll go back again this afternoon with my list. Hopefully the store will sell online as well to to survive, though the independent movie/game store down the street did that and closed down after five years.

http://www.placestogoinchulavista.com/places/1113989-Chula-Vista-Video-Games/?PageSpeed=noscript[/b]

Welcome! At Chula Vista Video Games we buy, sell and trade all things Playstation, Xbox and, especially, Nintendo. Bring us your old games. We'll give you way more than Gamestop in cash or store credit towards our large selection of video games and consoles, especially old school stuff that they don't carry.
We are also an official store for YuGiOh!, Magic the Gathering and Pokemon. Join us for free play and check our Facebook for schedule of tournaments and special events.

Buy, sell, trade all things Playstation, Xbox and, especially, Nintendo. Bring your old games for cash or trade! Official store YuGiOh!, Magic, and Pokemon

Business Info:
Price Range: $ (0-10)
Parking: Street, Parking Lot

Mon: 12:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Tue: 12:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Wed: 12:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Thu: 12:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Fri: 12:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Sat: 12:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Sun: 12:00 pm - 8:00 pm

CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

ZBomber
8-bit

Post by ZBomber »

mas wrote:I have been talking about a certain retro game store for sometime now and now I can finally post what store this is in this directory. Some people here have shopped here and I may get a little heat but whatever.
That's Entertainment in Worcester ma. They also have a place in Fitchburg ma also.
They have everything. old and new toys, dvd's blue ray's, comics, sports, board games, magic tournaments, everything anybody can go for. It's a great store to look around but here is my beef on it.
They lately have been overcharging on video games because they have told me that they need to compete with amazon and ebay. Grant it there a business and they need to make money but lately too many employees buy the games and they charge at there own discrepancy. Like one employee will give you 10 dollars cash or 13 in trade for a game and the next day another employee will give you 8 in cash and 10 in trade for the same game.
The other thing I noticed is that even though they use price charts.com I believe that they are going for what the highest price sold one that game went for and price it for that price. Like they have all gamecube Zelda games and is charging 60-70 for each game when I think you can get a cheaper copy on ebay if you just wait.
I just feel like they have gone up on everything because there is no more competition and they can just do it. I saw some Mario wii games going for 30 and up when I know you can get those games thru ebay for 20.00 or so. I have been going there for over 20 years and now I don't have any ambition to go back any more. I want to give a +1 for the crew and what they have in the store but I will give a -1 for the prices that they sell the stuff for. If they just went average like they did a year or so ago then it would be cool but that's not going to happen.
P.S I do know if someone says I can get that game for cheaper or even show that that game sells on gamestop for a lower price they will say "go to gamestop then" I have seen that before and I thought that was not customer focused.

So you raise a few good points. I've been going to That's E for about 10 years and their prices certainly have been climbing lately. I've noticed this especially with vinyls, which no one else was really buying 10 years ago, but now that it's the popular thing they've raised the prices quite high. That said, I can still get some great deals from them, you just have to be a little more vigilant/aware. I got a working Game Gear with 4 games for $25 a few months back a Virtual Boy (with cords/stand/controllers/etc) with 2 games for $80. and then recently Perfect Dark CIB for $20 and my friend got CIB Faxanadu for $30. Now, those latter two aren't steals, but they seem to be about the average price, and not having to deal with shipping fees or worrying about the games getting lost/damaged in transit is worth it. Vinyl deals are harder to come by, but I found a copy of The Who Sell Out in good shape for about $8.

So I've gotta give them a +1, because I don't think they should be at a a -1. Certainly not as great as they once were, but still pretty damn good.
meat
64-bit

Post by meat »

Phat boyz in Kinston NC closed.
youtube@gamingtrucker1
twitter@gamingtrucker1
twitch@gamingtrucker1
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Found a new retro gaming store in Tupelo, MS: Alpha Gaming. Guy seems to do his own repair work on consoles, and also has some pretty nice carts, although the prices are nothing to write home about. Still, impressed to see a few Saturns and some rare-ish SNES carts like Knights of the Round and Legend. Couldn't bring myself to drop the cash, though.

https://www.facebook.com/AlphaGamingLLC/

There's also a book/comic/movie/game store that I stumbled across the last time I was there, picked up a spare copy of Threads of Fate, and the co-owner really knew her JRPGs. Worth a look if you're ever in the area.

http://www.ghmusicandbooks.com/
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

These guys are gone swapped owners a few times before going out completely. It is now a furniture store :P.

Games 'n' More:
1107 Hoods Creek Pike
Ashland, Kentucky 41101
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Games-n- ... 3000408894
mikenac
16-bit

Post by mikenac »

Game Trader
133 James Luscinski Dr # 101
Murfreesboro, TN 37129
(615) 217-7717

Ive found a lot of good stuff there in the last year or two
marurun

Post by marurun »

Really, there's a place in Murfreesboro? Other than McKay's, I think all the little retro stores are gone from Chattanooga. I only manage to visit every year or two, so I may be mistaken. Maybe I need to get over to Murfreesboro.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

marurun wrote:Really, there's a place in Murfreesboro? Other than McKay's, I think all the little retro stores are gone from Chattanooga. I only manage to visit every year or two, so I may be mistaken. Maybe I need to get over to Murfreesboro.

the game trader in the boro is pretty good, been there for years. the one in nashville has more shit but seems a little high to me, and the workers don't seem so friendly. also game galaxy moved from antioch to smyrna a few months ago.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Game Quest LLC
14221 Powell Rd
Spring Hill, FL 34609
(352) 797-2999
https://www.facebook.com/gamequestLLC

So happy to have a REAL game store in this county finally. One of the guys quit GameTraders (also in this list) to start this store himself. Better prices too!
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.