Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

by Nemoide Tue May 17, 2022 2:35 pm

Modern retro-gaming social media/YouTube has definitely infected my brain with some bad collecting tendencies. I have trouble seeing my collection for being the huge, impressive collection that it is and instead only see what I'm missing. There's a stupid part of me that thinks that if I don't have a dedicated game room and/or a complete run of a console's library, that I'm somehow inadequate. Even though even myself from a decade ago would be gobsmacked to see how many games I have.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Wed May 18, 2022 6:25 am

I see no reason to collect games. Its a waste of money and space. In fact, once you have a huge library have you even thought when will you play them? I average about a game/month so 12 games a year = 120 games in a decade. So yeah... 250-300 games collection is not going to get used. Plus I see no reason to keep a game after I am done playing it. IMO you should only keep games you really like, going to play again, or have sentimental value. Plus now with digital you can access a lot more for a cheap price, no worries about damaged CD's, getting lost, or having to own the original console in working condition.

I can see a teenager with a lot more energy and time to play multiple times that but a teenager probably does not have the money or space to get all those games.

@ziggy

You are correct but... back then videogames are supposed to be some high tech. stuff and were expensive, it was a privilege, they were like $60 in 80s dollars and cartridges more expensive than CDs. Today, a game will drop 50% in value in like 6 months and can easily be found used or cheaper in digital format with frequent sales. There is also a lot more games being pumped out today from 1-2 man team to multi-billion corporates. They are creating more games than we can play.

This reminds me of some cultural change, back then there would be one lucky fellow who owns a console and all his friends will gather to play it. Or one guys ones a SNES and the other owns a Sega Genesis and they can share. Today its very expected to see a single kid with Xbox, Switch, and an iPhone/iPad full of games.
Limewater
Next-Gen

by Limewater Wed May 18, 2022 10:43 am

Sure, collecting games is a waste of money and space. But playing games is a waste of money and time.

Gaming is a luxury. Collecting is a luxury. It's good to acknowledge the luxuries that you enjoy.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Thu May 19, 2022 6:45 am

If I am having fun I wouldn't call it wasting, just like playing sports, watching tv, or reading books its a leisure activity. But having a closet full of games...I mean if your hobby is to collect just for the sake of collecting like collecting stamps enjoy yourself but I assumed game collectors mean to play them not just own them, like movie collectors I guess.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Wed May 25, 2022 9:45 pm

i just got an system update for my ps3 ... interesting...
rainingman

by rainingman Thu May 26, 2022 5:22 am

Folks, I just began re-reading Thomas Pynchon's Bleeding Edge, and the novel features a game/program/portal to deep web pages called DeepArcher (playing on the word "departure"). Just thought I'd share this here, what with this being a gaming forum. I think some of you might find the novel very interesting to say the least (if you don't, no biggie).

If you've read the novel and would like to discuss it, I'd be in.

If you'd like to know more before reading, this would be a good place to start: https://thewastedworld.wordpress.com/20 ... yberspace/ (this is not a review/introduction, but it does present a decent account of the book's nuances and concerns).

Also, if anyone has similar books/podcasts to recommend, please do share. Anything with a discussion of transhumanism, the nature of cyberspace, human-machine mutuality or interfacing would be great. Thanks!
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:37 am

Aww I was really looking forward to Breath of the Sonic - I saw the preview gameplay clip earlier. I thought it looked kinda okay- if a bit rough. My thoughts were that it was an early gameplay video after all. A several minute Sega-produced public gameplay highlight video was released by IGN and my first exposure to it was a (rightly-so) critical video that points out a lot of what I might not have picked up on while admiring the shiny tiles and lovely rendered flowers about.
Splash Dash - Sonic Frontiers is Lookin' Pretty Bad
I think there's not enough time between this 7-minute video and release date to make this game more than a badly implemented BOTW clone. Seriously, you have to stop in the middle of a field and play the oldest shitty 2D Apple2 videogame? The terrain doesn't properly deal with momentum and sonic looks like he deals with it like you're on an ATV in Cabella's Big Game Hunter. Disappointed. I'll probably still buy it like I did with Sonic '06; In a pawn shop for $13.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Sun Jun 05, 2022 3:31 am

I am not fan of games that most looks the same environment and has wide open empty spaces. The skyline is pretty dull and empty.
marurun

by marurun Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:30 am

RCBH928 wrote:I am not fan of games that most looks the same environment and has wide open empty spaces. The skyline is pretty dull and empty.

That reads really vague. Do you have some prime examples?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:03 am

As for the skyline I meant the mentioned Sonic game above. As for games that look mostly the same, they are many. The Sonic game mentioned above is just wide green pastures (unless there are more levels in the final release) . Another example is killzone 2, while its not open world if you watch a walkthrough video, any where you click it looks like its still in the same level. Another is the original Quake, almost all levels look the same environment wise. You are either under water or surrounded with brown walls.
Return to General Gaming