Podcast #66 - Hand Motions

Podcast announcements, feedback, and discussion
AppleQueso

Re: Podcast #66 - Hand Motions

Post by AppleQueso »

noiseredux wrote:oh I meant to comment - the mixing sounded really good on this one. Don't know if John got a new mic or Apple just really cleaned everything up, but it sounded really even. And I liked the brevity of the what-I've-been-playing/what-I've-recently-bought segment. Good show, guys.

He did get a new mic, and I'm always trying to find new, better sounding, and more efficient ways to edit the thing.

Glad you're happy with that.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

alienjesus wrote:Hey guys, I've been listening to more of these lately whilst I'm at work, and they're fairly enjoyable.

I've noticed though that there isn't actually much retro gaming talk happening. It seems a little odd considering we're on a retro site. I think the issue is that the segments are very focused on whats going on right now.

The games you're playing are often newer releases, the games you've picked up are often recent releases and even stuff like the news for the retro gamer is focused on stuff thats just been revealed. This is all great, but it kinda shifts some of the retro focus away.

Maybe you could do a section each podcast where you talk about a retro favourite of yours in some depth? Highlight a game people can play and get a little more retro-themed content in there at the same time.

Anyhow, just my suggestion. Thanks for the great work guys.

Appreciate the feedback. For the news stuff it isn't really news if it is actually retro. But we try to bring up things like remakes of classics or games made in a retro style.

As for pickups and what we are playing, it is mixed. Most of my pickups are retro games, atleast 2/3 or more. And while I discussed FFXIV last show, I also discussed a lot of tactics ogre, baldurs gate, and Shining Force in previous recent shows.

I don't mean to sound defensive, because I don't feel that way. But what we play and or buy will be a mix of modern and retro though more often than not, I think we focus more on the retro. I woukd enjoy more dialogur on the subject and this can perhaps make us more conscientious of our topics.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Jmustang1968 wrote:Appreciate the feedback. For the news stuff it isn't really news if it is actually retro. But we try to bring up things like remakes of classics or games made in a retro style.

yeah I think that's what he's saying. Like the news on a retro-themed podcast should focus more on remakes, re-releases ("hey what's new on PSN's PSOne Classics this week?" etc), compilations, retro-themed games (see: 1,000,000 recent Kickstarter campaigns), or things that you could at least tie-in with retro games.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

noiseredux wrote:
Jmustang1968 wrote:Appreciate the feedback. For the news stuff it isn't really news if it is actually retro. But we try to bring up things like remakes of classics or games made in a retro style.

yeah I think that's what he's saying. Like the news on a retro-themed podcast should focus more on remakes, re-releases ("hey what's new on PSN's PSOne Classics this week?" etc), compilations, retro-themed games (see: 1,000,000 recent Kickstarter campaigns), or things that you could at least tie-in with retro games.

That's basically the news we always do... I can't think of an example when we haven't.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

noiseredux wrote:

Actually, I'm not even too worried about the content in the actual sections at the moment too much. Especially with the more streamlined approach to pick ups and what you're playing. I just think maybe you could spend some time each episode discussing something which isnt new. Maybe you could give you opinions on a classic game, or talk about an old console launch and what you remember from that time. I want me a healthy scoop of nostalgia is basically what I'm saying :lol:
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

I've kinda noticed that there's been a bit more focus on modern games lately as well, at least in the finds/now playing sections (which in the past have tended to take up a significant portion of the non-interviewee shows) but it's not something I thought was of any real concern. It's not like it's intentional or anything after all.

alienjesus wrote:Maybe you could give you opinions on a classic game, or talk about an old console launch and what you remember from that time. I want me a healthy scoop of nostalgia is basically what I'm saying :lol:

Oh, idea: how about a "This month in gaming" bit? Just take one item and use it to springboard some discussion. "This month was the release of the TurboGrafx-16" etc.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

I blame Dave for the modern talk. :lol:
I also forgot we discussed Last of Us a bit ago.

If you want nostalgia listen to our nerdgasm rpg show we did, I think it was chock full of it haha

These are pretty good ideas. It may exploit the hokes in our gaming knowledge I fear. We do have a new topic thing we added so it kinda fits there. I believe our last was the game company mergers discussion.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

Jmustang1968 wrote:These are pretty good ideas. It may exploit the holes in our gaming knowledge I fear.

It's okay, there's already several times when I'm yelling at the podcast going "NO NO NO THAT GAME DIDN'T COME OUT ON THAT SYSTEM YOU'RE THINKING OF ____"

...but I do that with a lot of podcasts.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

AppleQueso wrote:
Jmustang1968 wrote:These are pretty good ideas. It may exploit the holes in our gaming knowledge I fear.

It's okay, there's already several times when I'm yelling at the podcast going "NO NO NO THAT GAME DIDN'T COME OUT ON THAT SYSTEM YOU'RE THINKING OF ____"

...but I do that with a lot of podcasts.

Do we mess that up often? I know I screw up on pronunciations a lot. But I think my RPG knowledge is pretty solid heh.
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

AppleQueso wrote:I've kinda noticed that there's been a bit more focus on modern games lately as well, at least in...

...every thread.

Games Beaten, what are you playing, etc. Besides Together Retro it's all Vita, WiiU, Xbone, PS4 talk.