Podcast #66 - Hand Motions

Podcast announcements, feedback, and discussion
Ack

Re: Podcast #66 - Hand Motions

Post by Ack »

Luke wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:I've kinda noticed that there's been a bit more focus on modern games lately as well, at least in...

...every thread.

Games Beaten, what are you playing, etc. Besides Together Retro it's all Vita, WiiU, Xbone, PS4 talk.

Not entirely. Luke, you and I continue to play through our older titles, and admittedly some of the other guys like Bone have been talking about modern updates of retro classics like Lemmings.
Opa Opa

Post by Opa Opa »

I like the modern game talk... mostly because I'm not really much of a retro gamer though...
I guess I need to find some other podcasts. :lol:
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

Ack wrote:Not entirely. Luke, you and I continue to play through our older titles, and admittedly some of the other guys like Bone have been talking about modern updates of retro classics like Lemmings.

I agree, not entirely at all. Exed is also plowing through great older games like a madman. But overall, I'd say this site is a gaming community, not a retro-gaming community. Look at the majority of the games the mods play and beat...they're not retro games.

Not saying it is a bad thing, but this isn't a retro game forum. It's a game forum.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Luke wrote:
Ack wrote:Not entirely. Luke, you and I continue to play through our older titles, and admittedly some of the other guys like Bone have been talking about modern updates of retro classics like Lemmings.

I agree, not entirely at all. Exed is also plowing through great older games like a madman. But overall, I'd say this site is a gaming community, not a retro-gaming community. Look at the majority of the games the mods play and beat...they're not retro games.

Not saying it is a bad thing, but this isn't a retro game forum. It's a game forum.

I was gonna say something after Ack's post but I see my retro-focusing efforts have been well covered :lol: I'd have to agree with Luke especially on the Beaten thread -- the number of modern games people beat are staggering. By keeping my collection to the 6th gen and earlier, I try my best to meet the ideology of this site, because that was the main draw and what brought me here in the first place. But with the 8th gen looming and 2 major console releases in the next few weeks, I think the forums & podcasts here are occasionally going to have more of that newer flavor, it's just the nature of gaming. People aren't going to stop paying attention to what's new out there, but I feel at the same time they won't stop embracing the past. The Games Acquired thread and similar threads here reflect that. My choice to play older stuff is simply personal and doesn't reflect the modern shift I've seen here lately, and that's all right. If we still have events like TR, and people that buy, collect, and play the older stuff and threads that reflect and embrace that, that's great.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

RB has always seemed to me like a place for people who just love games in general old and new, and aren't particularly concerned with when those games actually came out. I don't think there's really any reason to think the community is actually "abandoning" retro stuff or anything like that.

It's probably safe to say that the majority of us take an interest on the history and development of the medium over time as well.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Luke wrote:

I think part of it is the fact that threads about current and upcoming games/consoles simply lend themselves to more active and organized discussion. Take something like the Xbox One - everyone has thoughts about the system, regardless of whether or not they actually plan to buy it, and the thread is constantly being bumped with news about upcoming games, hardware specs, etc.

On the flip-side, if I started a thread about my latest console purchase (VIC-20) I'd probably get a couple of responses from people who already have a vested interested in the system before the thread shrivels up and dies.

Maybe once the PS4 and Xbone launch we'll see the hype die down and the return of more retro discussion? Who knows.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Oh shit, Bone, you got a VIC-20?!?!
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

I've always thought that we discussed gaming without much of a regard to their age. The average user of the site simply plays a little bit of everything.

Right now we have new consoles being launched and I didn't take my medications so we have threads about the Xbone and the PS4. It's just the time to talk about this, just like when we ranted about games journalism, analyzed the downfall of Sega or created twelve threads about sexism in gaming in a row (yeah, sorry for that, I suppose).
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/