Podcast #65 - A Smart Merger

Podcast announcements, feedback, and discussion
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Podcast #65 - A Smart Merger

Post by dsheinem »

Dave and John talk about games (surprise!), about shifting gamer demographics, and about industry mergers old and new.

Games discussed in some detail:
Killlzone Mercenary
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
Tales of Xillia
Tank Command
Civilization V
Planescape Torment
Baldur's Gate 2
Ballz 3D: The Director's Cut

http://www.racketboy.com/podcast/racket ... art-merger
Ack

Re: Podcast #65 - A Smart Merger

Post by Ack »

First, JMustang needs to play more first person shooters. FPS and TPS are different! There is a large break in perspective between looking through someone's eyes versus looking over their shoulder. There is also a large break in emotional triggers in response: manipulating an avatar on screen creates a middle man for the experience versus playing it yourself within the skin of an individual. In first person view in an interactive work, you are not simply manipulating someone, you become them. Their eyes are yours, their skin is yours, the weapon in their hands is the one in yours. Now currently our method of interacting with video games is via a television or video monitor, which may again operate as a barrier between ourselves and the avatar we inhabit in the game. But VR headsets such as the Oculus Rift remove this particular hinderance.

Second, I think it's hilarious that we spent time discussing female presence in video game production and consumption and then later spend time discussing playing with our Ballz.

Third, I bought a 3DO solely for Alone in the Dark...which I still don't own.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Ack wrote:
Second, I think it's hilarious that we spent time discussing female presence in video game production and consumption and then later spend time discussing playing with our Ballz.

In my defense, I had finished several beers between these two points in the show.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

I've played a bunch of both. I just don't see much of a difference besides aiming and control being somewhat different. The emotional trigger and response are the same for me. In one I can see all of my character instead of just his arm and hand.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Jmustang1968 wrote:I've played a bunch of both. I just don't see much of a difference

really? I find FPS fun and TPS kind of meh. I mean, that's a product of the controls of course, but I feel like it's a difference vast enough to make them entirely diff experiences. (See: Ack's post above)
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

noiseredux wrote:
Jmustang1968 wrote:I've played a bunch of both. I just don't see much of a difference

really? I find FPS fun and TPS kind of meh. I mean, that's a product of the controls of course, but I feel like it's a difference vast enough to make them entirely diff experiences. (See: Ack's post above)

To me it is more of a flavor or nuance instead of being a different genre or experience. I see them more as subsets of the same genre.
Opa Opa

Post by Opa Opa »

I think Dave touched on the differences between fps and tps when he mentioned finding cover. See I think third person shooters are less about being a good shot than they are being aware of your surroundings. You can bring a frantic arcade style mindset from CoD over to a game like Re 4, but you're going to get your virtual rear handed to you. Leon may be badass incarnate but you'll need to play smart if you want to progress. While in a game like CoD you're focus isn't so much on playing smart (not that there aren't any tactics of course) but you're focus is more on being accurate and efficient.

Hope that made some sense.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Jmustang1968 wrote:To me it is more of a flavor or nuance instead of being a different genre or experience. I see them more as subsets of the same genre.

guy, that's like saying Phantasy Star and Phantasy Star Online are just a difference of "flavor or nuance."
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

noiseredux wrote:
Jmustang1968 wrote:To me it is more of a flavor or nuance instead of being a different genre or experience. I see them more as subsets of the same genre.

guy, that's like saying Phantasy Star and Phantasy Star Online are just a difference of "flavor or nuance."

No the gameplay is completely different.

I think it it more like the differences in shmups.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Jmustang1968 wrote:No the gameplay is completely different.

Alright then PSO is like FPS and TPS then... since there's guns in it.

I think it it more like the differences in shmups.

Expand on this? Not sure what you're saying.