Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
Ziggy587

Rendering Ranger: R2 (SNES) - Limited Run Games !

by Ziggy587 Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:59 pm

This Japan exclusive Super Famicom game has had a hefty price tag, keeping it out of reach for many people. Limited Run Games is making a proper North American SNES release for the game!

https://limitedrungames.com/collections ... er-r2-snes

The standard edition is $60, and the collectors box is $100.

Personally, this kind of thing is what I want to see more of from Limited Run Games.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

Re: Rendering Ranger: R2 (SNES) - Limited Run Games !

by sevin0seven Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:28 pm

I agree, more physical unreleased games from 90s era would be nice. Unfortunately I don't think well get Star Fox 2, Live A Live or Secret of Mana 2 Limited Run Edition though.
Visit my stores: Mercari Store, sevin0seven RacketBoy Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
ZRofel
24-bit

by ZRofel Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:55 am

Yeah, I was really, really excited to see this. Rendering Ranger: R2 is genuinely fantastic game, so it's a great to finally see it officially hit western shores. Like Ziggy said, I love that over the last few years we've gotten cartridge releases of a bunch of lost or extremely pricey retro games such as Mega Man: The Wily Wars, Zombie Nation, Mad Stalker, etc. I definitely hope this trend continues.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:22 am

I’ll probably get this, too. Normally, I’d go for an original copy, but this game is so obscure and pricey, that I doubt I’ll get it any other way. I think it’s also be cool if they release a digital version of the game for other platforms. I would definitely double-dip to play this on my Switch.

Edit: Pre-ordered (after checking prices for the original online…yikes!)
nickfil
Next-Gen

by nickfil Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:04 pm

I never really get these releases. I'd either want an original cart, or play it on a flash cart. This is like buying a flash cart with one game on it. Just feels weird.
marurun

by marurun Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:24 pm

nickfil wrote:I never really get these releases. I'd either want an original cart, or play it on a flash cart. This is like buying a flash cart with one game on it. Just feels weird.

I'm not sure I understand. Why would an authorized, licensed re-release be more like a flash card with a game on it than an original? Even originals had re-releases, sometimes as "best seller" releases and sometimes with bug fixes. Majesco re-released some Genesis games when they took over distribution from Sega in the waning days of the Genesis. Are those re-releases original or more like a flash cart? What makes these feel weird to you, specifically?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
nickfil
Next-Gen

by nickfil Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:54 pm

It just feels very strange buying a new snes cart of an old game in 2022. Don't get me wrong- if it is a new game running on the snes. Fuck yeah. That rules. This however just feels like a cashgrab to me.

Collecting retro games to me is about specifically collecting older games. I'm not saying you have to do that. I have flash carts. Games are expensive! I just don't even think about this game as a retro game. Its a modern snes game and I don't know why you'd ever slot it into a collection. Part of the cool thing about a retro game collection is the age and authenticity that the age brings. This robs you of that.

I just don't understand how like a gba pokemon bootleg is that far off from this. The licence I guess? To me that doesn't make it authentic, that makes it feel like a new grift from a publisher who has the licence and wants to make a buck because they are looking at the secondary market soar. They want a piece of that.

So now we are collecting modern carts of old games because the licence is the same? It just feels like a flash cart with more steps and a worse product. For me, I'd always *always* be on the side of instead of putting money into this, save it, wait a little while longer, and then buy the real thing. Its far more interesting/impressive than a 2022 preorder.

But buy them if you want to! I'm not trying to come down on it. Absolutely enjoy it if it is your jam. I'm not trying to convince you otherwise, I just don't get it and was curious if others felt the same way or if I was a weirdo.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:10 pm

nickfil wrote:It just feels very strange buying a new snes cart of an old game in 2022. Don't get me wrong- if it is a new game running on the snes. Fuck yeah. That rules. This however just feels like a cashgrab to me.

Collecting retro games to me is about specifically collecting older games. I'm not saying you have to do that. I have flash carts. Games are expensive! I just don't even think about this game as a retro game. Its a modern snes game and I don't know why you'd ever slot it into a collection. Part of the cool thing about a retro game collection is the age and authenticity that the age brings. This robs you of that.

I just don't understand how like a gba pokemon bootleg is that far off from this. The licence I guess? To me that doesn't make it authentic, that makes it feel like a new grift from a publisher who has the licence and wants to make a buck because they are looking at the secondary market soar. They want a piece of that.

So now we are collecting modern carts of old games because the licence is the same? It just feels like a flash cart with more steps and a worse product. For me, I'd always *always* be on the side of instead of putting money into this, save it, wait a little while longer, and then buy the real thing. Its far more interesting/impressive than a 2022 preorder.

But buy them if you want to! I'm not trying to come down on it. Absolutely enjoy it if it is your jam. I'm not trying to convince you otherwise, I just don't get it and was curious if others felt the same way or if I was a weirdo.

I get this, especially this part:

“Collecting retro games to me is about specifically collecting older games. I'm not saying you have to do that. I have flash carts. Games are expensive! I just don't even think about this game as a retro game. Its a modern snes game and I don't know why you'd ever slot it into a collection. Part of the cool thing about a retro game collection is the age and authenticity that the age brings. This robs you of that.”

And, I agree with this part:

“For me, I'd always *always* be on the side of instead of putting money into this, save it, wait a little while longer, and then buy the real thing. Its far more interesting/impressive than a 2022 preorder.”

I don’t really see this as a cash grab, however. Tracking down the IP rights and producing a lavish, cart l release seems more like a labor of love. (Put another way, the amount of effort that went into this would probably be more profitable if it were devoted to making more numbered Switch games.) They aren’t trying to pass these off as original carts; nor are they selling someone else’s IP without permission, which seems like more of a cash grab to me.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:10 pm

Double post. Weird.
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:23 am

This game was originally released only on the Super Famicom. So this actually is a brand new SNES release. They've also made a new instruction manual in English for it. So it's not just a "grab a ROM, throw it on a cheap cart and sell it on etsy" bootleg. It's a proper release of a game that was never released in this region. It's just 25 years late lol.

I'm also hoping it'll be a well designed PCB, which is almost always NOT the case with pirate/bootleg carts.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
Return to Old-School Gaming News