Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
nickfil
Next-Gen

Re: Rendering Ranger: R2 (SNES) - Limited Run Games !

by nickfil Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:23 pm

Gha! I goofed the quote train. Sorry.
nickfil
Next-Gen

by nickfil Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:27 pm

opa wrote:Are the original programmers seeing any of the money? Or just some random company that holds the rights 30 years later?

If the latter, just pirate the game.

I'm pretty confident that the original designers and programmers aren't going to see a dime of this. It has to be the company holding the ip.

The team working on this was probably either salary or freelance. Their work was owned by the companies.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:13 pm

I don't have an SNES and if I ever get one I'm inclined to just get a flash cart, but I really like these retro-rereleases that have been happening of late. While Retro-Bit has released shoddy products in the past, they've stepped up their game and I similarly trust companies like Limited Run or Strictly Limited to release a high-quality product that won't harm the original hardware.

I do get why some folks wouldn't care, but I'm still living in the world where playing an old video game means putting a cartridge into a system so I really appreciate being able to own an actual cartridge that's being made at a high standard.
ZRofel
24-bit

by ZRofel Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:28 am

nickfil wrote:
ZRofel wrote:But, when the only alternative is scouring eBay for an ancient, overpriced cartridge that may be in terrible shape or with text in a language I can't read, I'm overwhelmingly in favor of companies like Limited Run bringing out lovingly curated re-releases whenever and however they're able. Sure, an original Super Famicom cart of Rendering Ranger would be cool, but this is an official western release, and all of Limited Run's stuff always looks super professional. It's definitely a win in my book.

While this is a western release, the box is translated. Not the game. The game is still running the JPN rom.

Sure, but I meant more the overall package. I think, from playing the original ROM, it's essentially all in English anyways.

nickfil wrote:
ZRofel wrote:It certainly has led me to purchase some games I'm not that enthusiastic about so I don't end up having to pay out the nose to a reseller years later if I do suddenly get into the game, and it's definitely frustrating when I've missed a physical release because I didn't hear about it in time.

to me, the fear of missing out is part of the grift. "Buy it now because you might need it" was a mantra I had through the ps2 and ps3 era. Now I'm playing a lot of those "must play" ps3 games and not enjoying them. Either because they weren't for me, or because they didn't age well. Completely cured me of this fomo stuff because I wish I had just saved the money. I wish that I got a game and then played it before getting another game.

I agree, but I feel like that's on me. I'm not going to fault someone selling something for making a persuasive argument for why I should buy it. I'm usually really into most of what Limited Run is selling, and the nice thing about when I'm occasionally on the fence about a title is that, for the most part, they do seem to hold their value on the secondary market. If I end up not liking it, I can always sell it on and recoup most of my initial expense. Plus, most of their stuff is typically at a budget price to start anyways.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:27 am

The only one of these classic re-releases for a retro console I've bought is the Mega Man: The Wily Wars, but that's mostly because I collect Mega Man stuff in general and it was a cool package. The Toaplan collection was tempting but I already have most of the original copies.

I think it's cool for people who really want the shelf-candy like I did with Wily Wars but unless it's something personally meaningful to me I don't really feel a drive to buy these type of releases just to have an "official" version.

I do still understand the desire with games like Rendering Ranger R2 where people have given up on getting the original due to price and just want to seize the opportunity fill that piece of their collection. Yeah they're pushing people's FOMO buttons but that's Limited Run's entire business model. The retro cartridge releases aren't unique in that regard.

The weird releases to me were stuff like the Star Wars games where the original copies are neither expensive or hard to find.
marurun

by marurun Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:38 am

As a librarian I encourage people to pick up authorized, available, legal copies wherever possible. I happen to also think the contours of copyright in the US (and the world at large) are presently overbearing and inappropriate for an information-driven society, but regardless we must respect the rules (within reason). I am a supporter of emulation as well. There are lots of titles which are not widely available in the market right now. I wouldn't feel any guilt over emulating those. But if there is a legal, current release I would encourage interested parties to prefer that option before leaning into less legal options.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:23 pm

Gunstar Green wrote:The weird releases to me were stuff like the Star Wars games where the original copies are neither expensive or hard to find.

I agree. Those are just bizarre.
Return to Old-School Gaming News