Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
ZRofel
24-bit

Gaming news sites

by ZRofel Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:53 am

So, I feel like at this point all of the sites where I used to get news about more niche or quirky video games have shut down, and I'm not really sure where to turn. Most of the major gaming news sites now just cover the big releases and also seem to spend an equal amount of time covering other media, like new Marvel shows or horror movies. So outside of trolling forums or reading twitter feeds, where do the rest of you get your gaming news that's outside of the mainstream, say info about indie titles, mid-budget studio games, or new, untested IPs? Is there someplace like 1up that still exists that I'm just missing?
marurun

Re: Gaming news sites

by marurun Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:35 am

I think the problem is there's just too much stuff these days. Video games media doesn't generate much profit at all, so outlets can only afford so many staffers and freelancers, and they have to focus on stuff that has wider appeal. I'm not sure there's really any ability for an outlet to truly take on the insane amount of more niche content coming out outside of maybe genre-specific outlets. Like, I could see a VN-focused site diving into more niche VN titles, but that may be the only way to discover less mainstream fare.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:54 pm

I rely on this forum. I try and post things I find in the Old School Gaming News Forum.

viewforum.php?f=38

If everyone pitched in and posted threads in that forum for news and new products, I'd be all set personally.

In fact, that reminds me, I have to post something...
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
chupon
Next-Gen

by chupon Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:47 pm

I’m sure you already visit RPGfan.com but I still love everything about it. And they definitely talk about indie games, one man jobs, and niche stuff. But they hit the major triple a titles too.
Buy / Sell / Trade List: viewtopic.php?t=17958
Last updated: 11-10-16

PS3 ID: dakkenblackblade 360 ID: dakkenblackblad
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:38 am

My go-to for hardware is RetroRGB. Bob's weekly news Vlog and podcast are pretty inclusive, and it regularly gains new news posters. I support Bob and Tito regularly on Patreon because my main interest now is video fidelity and console modding.

Tho it isn't really news, I try to once a month visit itch.io to see what's making chart status and search the same site on google to see what's up with the indie not-on-steam games. There's a complete other side of pc gaming there.

Aside from those, and my ~40 Patreon subscriptions, I just spent too much time on Youtube and I'm subscribed to a lot of niche gaming channels. Between myself and my nephew who's obsessed with pre-alpha games and indie game modding (he asks me to fix crashes like his phone and pc aren't completely destroyed ) , I find out about stuff fairly real-time as it happens in the gaming and emulation world. I reserve posts here about retro games and rom-hacks because I feel like my interests might not coincide with the regular folks here. I semi-regularly post a rom hacking update for those who might like to know about highlights and noteworthy things, but I think a regular visit to cdromance to get them while they're hot is warranted.

Sadly, Social media is where everything is landing now. Some sites I never really followed like Kotaku, Resetera, Nintendolife, AndroidAuthority, etc are stiil reporting everything relevant, but it really depends where your interests lie.
As it used to happen on Facebook, now it happens on Discord.
I don't use Discord unless necessary because I dislike being in so close communication with that many people despite is being an impersonal chat program. I'm sure I turned off the right settings, but there's constant news bulletins. Probably I'm just suing it wrong.
I absolutely need to use it to communicate with people who develop, make, and sell things I subscribe to or buy. I dislike having my chat program subscribed to so many news channels, so I mostly leave it off. The things I care about happen real-time there, but it's too much noise.

Where my Google searches used to end up in forums like this or NeoGAF, SegaXtreme, NesDev, Shoryuken, PocketHeaven, GBATemp, RomHacking forums, now they mostly land in Reddit. Reddit is where the particulars of each niche get posted and sorted. The wildly bad or good things float to the top. If you visit or subscribe to the right Reddit topics, you'll have the news real-time as it unfolds, but again, if you subscribe, it's all just so much noise.

I miss when Zophar's Domain was the go-to site for romhacks, translations, ripped game music, hacks, and everything else. There was another site called The Well, it hosted rom translations.
Did any of you watch RetroRGB's interview with Zophar himself a few months back? I thoroughly enjoyed it. A lot of nostalgia and talk of Bloodlust Software even.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

by Raging Justice Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:03 pm

I have indeed noticed that reddit is a great resource for just information in general. Often times I google search something, get ready to give up, then type in the topic + reddit and find what I'm looking for.

I also get news on various things from youtubers, particularly pop culture stuff like movies, comic books, and TV shows. There are some great youtube personalities who are good at critiquing that sort of stuff and offering recommendations. I've discovered things from those people I would never have heard of otherwise. I find youtube pretty useless for gaming though, as youtube "influencers" just seem there for casuals and the like and only ever focus on whatever big, AAA, flavor of the month game comes out. Twitch streamers aren't much better. Seeing these people represent gamers in Free Guy was cringe

There are some gaming sites I check regularly. I'm not saying they're the best, but they generally work for me:

keengamer
noisypixel
psnprofiles - Great resource for trophy hunters
gamefaqs - I use it just to check release dates and know what's coming out every week
http://www.psu.com
nichegamer
nickfil
Next-Gen

by nickfil Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:05 pm

Anapan wrote:My go-to for hardware is RetroRGB. Bob's weekly news Vlog and podcast are pretty inclusive, and it regularly gains new news posters. I support Bob and Tito regularly on Patreon because my main interest now is video fidelity and console modding.

Retro RGB's weekly round up is really great. I've been catching it every week for well over a year!
ZRofel
24-bit

by ZRofel Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:54 am

marurun wrote:I think the problem is there's just too much stuff these days. Video games media doesn't generate much profit at all, so outlets can only afford so many staffers and freelancers, and they have to focus on stuff that has wider appeal. I'm not sure there's really any ability for an outlet to truly take on the insane amount of more niche content coming out outside of maybe genre-specific outlets. Like, I could see a VN-focused site diving into more niche VN titles, but that may be the only way to discover less mainstream fare.

Yeah, I think this is pretty much the issue. There's just too much content and not "enough" money to be made covering it ("enough" is in quotes because I think the way journalism of all stripes has been savagely monetized over the last few decades is extremely problematic, but that's a much larger conversation). Sites like 1up and USGamer are just not considered lucrative enough to be worth supporting by the bigger media conglomerates. Regardless, I appreciate all the suggestions and recommendations. If anyone has anymore, definitely feel free to put them out there. I know there's a lot of great YouTube news updates out there, but I'm particularly looking for written content. For a variety of reasons, I feel like I can dig through written content much faster than video or audio content.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:28 pm

I feel like this topic could be expanded into "good places for videogame content" because I very rarely check game news sites. When I do, it's typically Silicon Era or Kotaku.
But I follow some video game journalists on Twitter and feel like I absorb a lot of news that way (and they'll link to stories they write for sites I infrequently check, like Vice or Verge). I like watching clips of the CUPodcast on YouTube as they often talk about news with a retrogamer perspective.
Return to Old-School Gaming News