Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
Ziggy587

Castlevania: Nocturne (New NetFlix Series Announced)

by Ziggy587 Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:19 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONqNEPTPyqU

It's called "Nocturne," and the Nocturne in the Moonlight is the Japanese title for Symphony of the Night. And you hear someone say "Richter" at the end of the teaser trailer. So I guess it's safe to assume that this new series will be covering the Richter era of games. I assume that the story will cover both Rondo of Blood as well as Symphony of the Night. It will be awesome if they keep the same voice actors for characters that are in both the Trevor and Richter era. Dracula, Alucard, and Death.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Re: Castlevania: Nocturne (New NetFlix Series Announced)

by bmoc Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:46 am

Castlevania is one of the best, if not the best, video game adaptations to date. I sincerely hope to can do it again with Nocturne.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

by Raging Justice Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:32 pm

I don't know how to feel about this. I absolutely LOVE the first Netflix series, aside from a few things in season 3. There's been some changes behind the scenes though. I think the original showrunner is NOT on board for this new series...so I don't know if it will be as good as the first one.

Hopefully, it will be though, as this is arguably the coolest part of the time line from the video games. The recent Sonic movies and the first Castlevania series have really upped the bar for video game adaptations so hopefully this will keep the momentum going
marurun

by marurun Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:39 pm

Though Warren Ellis is a good writer, he’s an abuser and it’s good he’s not going to be involved in Nocturne. The directors are still on it and one of the executive producers is taking over as showrunner on this different series. I’m looking forward to it.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

by Raging Justice Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:39 am

I was actually referring to Adi Shankar. He was the show runner, but yes, Warren Ellis is also not involved. That also concerns me. Too many changes. This show likely won't feel like the first one
marurun

by marurun Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:01 am

Adi Shankar is not listed as a showrunner. He was very important getting the show together and running, but Ellis was the writer and showrunner.

I do hope it is different. Not like completely different, but I want the show to have its own identity. I think it has a good selection of continuing names to maintain some connective tissue and will hopefully bring in some new names to liven things up.

Gotta step out of the “all change is bad” mindset.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
opa
128-bit

by opa Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:11 am

I hope it's just a one season thing. After they killed Dracula the show kinda slumped. Although I did enjoy the end of season 4.

(I'm not spoilering drac dying. It's freaking Castlevania lol)
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

by Raging Justice Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:05 am

I don't mind change...when it's good. I think Casltevania was a near perfect series. I had a few issues with season 3, but they bounced back really well with season 4. I just want the new show to be as good and changes behind the scenes can sometimes be a bad thing. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

And personally, I do think pointing out that Dracula dies before the END of the series kind of IS a spoiler, but it's no big deal to me since I've watched the whole thing already.
Rydon
24-bit

by Rydon Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:54 pm

I was going to ask if the OG production was part of this new series. IMO the original Netflix series was really bad. I didn't really like any of the characters, and the plot went no where for at least one of the seasons. So, I have hope this one will be better.
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

by sevin0seven Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:33 pm

Being a big fan of Castlevania 3 I enjoyed the Netflix first series, my only complaint is Trevor's character being a drunkard (though it did grew on me overtime...or I just accepted it). Let's see how this one develops.
Visit my stores: Mercari Store, sevin0seven RacketBoy Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
Return to Old-School Gaming News