Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
marurun

Retroid Pocket 2+ coming soon

by marurun Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:29 pm

So, I haven't managed to type out a full impressions thread of my Retroid Pocket 2, but I did get an email today that there's a Retroid Pocket 2+ coming soon. It's got a faster CPU (still 4 cores, but much more modern cores), faster GPU (PowerVR instead of Mali), 2 GB of RAM instead of 1, Android 9, and a touch screen. What's really weird is they're selling an upgrade board to replace the one in the Retroid 2 to make it a Retroid 2+ (albeit without touch screen). You can also get a touch screen, though. But by the time you've kitted out your Retroid 2 to a 2+, you'll have spend just $4 shy of just buying a 2+. Maybe the upgrade board is worth it for someone who doesn't want the touch screen. I will say, I think a touch screen would make a huge difference. Constantly switching input modes to control an Android retro console with an analog stick or dpad is kinda balls, TBH. Case and controls are identical AFAICT.

Basically, $99 for a flawed beast. I bet it finally gets DC and N64 emulation with a usable frame rate.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
ujnhunter
64-bit

Re: Retroid Pocket 2+ coming soon

by ujnhunter Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:05 pm

I think this is what was on my radar... I have one of the older... PocketGo that was like $39.99 and it's served me well for my NES/SNES/GB/GBA/Genesis/Etc type games... and I think I was close to ordering a Retroid Pocket 2... good thing I held off as this upgraded version seems to be the same, but better. What color are you getting? ;)
marurun

Re: Retroid Pocket 2+ coming soon

by marurun Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:43 pm

ujnhunter wrote: good thing I held off as this upgraded version seems to be the same, but better. What color are you getting? ;)

I got a Pocket 2 (SNES colors) and it's perfectly adequate for the little time I have to give it. Probably won't put up for a 2+ for another year at least.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Return to Old-School Gaming News