Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
bmoc
Next-Gen

FreePSXBoot - another PSX softmod

by bmoc Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:50 pm

https://github.com/brad-lin/FreePSXBoot

Not to be confused with the recently discovered "tonyhax" softmod, this mod just uses a memory card exploit to run custom code.

The method is fairly simple once the hacked memory card has been obtained.

1. Insert the hacked memory card into slot one with the drive lid open.
2. Go to the Memory Card manager and wait ~30 seconds for the Unirom screen to appear.
3. Insert your backup disc, close the lid, and press R1.
4. Remove the memory card (not necessary if using a Memcard Pro)

I may have to order a Memcard Pro now!
Ziggy587

Re: FreePSXBoot - another PSX softmod

by Ziggy587 Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:52 pm

OK, so this is pretty neat. I was happy to see the Tony Hawk thing come out, but having to first boot into a game to trigger an exploit would be annoying to do all the time. This one I'll probably give a try since I have FMCB (I assume I can prepare the PS1 memory card this way). Although 30 seconds is a long time, it would feel like forever when you're sitting there waiting. I wonder if it's possible to get that wait time down.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:06 pm

I got my Memcard Pro today and very briefly tried FreePSXBoot with a burnt copy of Gunners Heaven. I did have some stuttering audio during the intro but otherwise it ran fine. Maybe I didn't get a good burn or I need to try a different brand of discs. I'll do some experimenting tomorrow.

Also of note, it doesn't take 30 seconds to boot the exploit. It was more like 15 seconds at least on my 101 model. And for the non-Memcard Pro users, FreePSXBoot can now be run from Memory Card slot 2 with the appropriate image file. Pulling the FreePSXBoot memory card out is no longer necessary if you run it from slot 2 and that leaves slot 1 open for regular memory card save functionality.
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:11 pm

Ok, it was definitely the burn speed that was causing the audio problems. The burner in my desktop can only go as slow as 16X. My wife's laptop can do 10X and the burns were much more reliable but not perfect. I'll scrounge around at work for an ancient computer see if I can find a slower burner.
L10N37

by L10N37 Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:50 pm

Guys I sell playstations, ALLLLL the time - that means I test them constantly and thoroughly. My burner is external USB, and my last was internal SATA - both had minimum burning speeds of 16- no issues in ANY of the (at least 40 by now) playstations I've run the discs through, other than the ones with dodgy disc drives. You can try turning the dial up a TINY NIP on the side of the laser, it won't hurt. I usually turn it a wee bit on every console I've modded. The burnt discs don't have as much reflection as the originals.

Other than that, the lasers are usually shot / on their way out.
Also note

Unirom isn't the only package with freepsxboot.

I just finished informing the Tonyhax author about his misguided info on the orca site - he has the builds with freepsxboot in his packaged downloads with each version since freepsxboot was released, but for some reason, he guides people across to the Github for freepsxboot which contains only builds with Unirom.

I'd suggest only using Verbatim AZO if you can't get your hands on Taiyo Yudens (That's! CD-R)

Also check out my new modchips:

Here's a demo of the one for PAL PM41
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahy8XMkAvQc
Return to Old-School Gaming News