Cancelled Dreamcast game Castlevania Resurrection discovered

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
Note
Next-Gen

Cancelled Dreamcast game Castlevania Resurrection discovered

Post by Note »

Thought the board might appreciate this news. A development version of the cancelled Dreamcast game Castlevania Resurrection has been discovered. The original blog post about the finding is in French, so I've pasted in the translation (from Google) below. The original link also includes a short video of gameplay footage.

Awesome to see a new Dreamcast game found!

https://youtu.be/lXzbJMFwmCc

https://www.sega-dreamcast-info-games-p ... -dreamcast

Proof of the existence of Castlevania: Resurrection Dreamcast
Over the years, some canceled games have become "holy grails" for collectors and video game archaeologists. Castlevania: Resurrection on Dreamcast is one of them.

It is a title that we thought lost forever, a game that we have been fantasizing about for 20 years. We just knew it was shown to the press, in a tight circle, in a partially playable version.

A few days ago, I was sent a message with the photo of the prototype. I couldn't believe it, he was there in front of my eyes. I thought I had fallen from my chair, I was witnessing his resurrection !!!

This game would have taken place in 3D environments. A time travel would have brought Sonia Belmont and Victor Belmont to meet.

The story was set to take place in 1666. Victor Belmont was an 1800s vampire hunter who had abandoned his lineage and left the region in fear of his fate as a vampire slayer. The player would face a female vampire as the main opponent.

In addition to this, you need to know more about it.

According to art director Greg Orduyan , the game was canceled due to Konami's lack of trust in the Dreamcast.

The content of the prototype:

This prototype is a pre E3 demo.

There are 5 environments and a boss fight that correspond to a stage of the game. Most areas do not connect with each other. They are accessible from the Start menu. One of them does not charge. This beta is an early build.

Conclusion:

Be careful, I don't know what my acquaintance intends to do with it. I do not wish to harbor false hopes. It may be necessary to be satisfied only with the photo and the video proving its existence.

The discovery of the prototype being major, with the agreement of its owner, I can disclose it and show it to you. We can also thank him!
Ziggy

Re: Cancelled Dreamcast game Castlevania Resurrection discov

Post by Ziggy »

I've only read the thread title so far, but I just want to say, if this is an April Fools joke I'm going to be VERY mad! :twisted:

edit: Just read the translated post and watched the YouTube video. Looks neat, but a very early build. If this is real, I wonder if someone would flesh it out a little. Either way, it's still awesome that someone found it.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Wow!
And I was just happy to stumble upon the music from the game:
https://downloads.khinsider.com/game-so ... amcast-rip

I'd jump at the chance to demo the prototype on my DC. But I won't get my hopes up.

I recall a cancelled 32X game and a game dot com port of SotN, but I think those 2 were gone before they even really started.
...just another lost soul...
Rurouni_Fencer
Next-Gen

Post by Rurouni_Fencer »

So in the last couple days, the original owner of this prototype posted it to eBay, racked up 99+ bids @ $22,000+, (when I was last able to check it, with 8 days remaining on the auction,) and then ended the listing, (and the page is no longer accessible, so I guess he/she deleted it.)
Anybody heard anything or come across any info on what happened to this auction, or what may be going on? Really hoping this gets out into the wild and gets dumped!
B/S/T Thread *Updated 7/30/11*
Rurouni_Fencer »» 39 (as of 6/27/2018)
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

Rurouni_Fencer wrote:So in the last couple days, the original owner of this prototype posted it to eBay, racked up 99+ bids @ $22,000+, (when I was last able to check it, with 8 days remaining on the auction,) and then ended the listing, (and the page is no longer accessible, so I guess he/she deleted it.)
Anybody heard anything or come across any info on what happened to this auction, or what may be going on? Really hoping this gets out into the wild and gets dumped!

I hadn't heard about the auction at all, so I appreciate the info. That's pretty wild that the listing went that high with that many bids and then was ended and removed.

It looks like the original seller does intend to back it up and eventually release it? I saw that update listed at the bottom of this blog post about the situation:

https://www.segasaturnshiro.com/2021/04 ... from-ebay/

I hope it gets out there!