PS3, PSP, PS Vita: The (digital) End is Nigh!

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
Anapan
Next-Gen

Re: PS3, PSP, PS Vita: The (digital) End is Nigh!

Post by Anapan »

I modded a PSTV I had NIB for just that reason. I had no idea that PKGj could do it that easily in-system, but having the files right off the server and able to be backed up is pretty easy if you follow the reddit Vita Hacks Guide. When I get my Vita back from my neice, I should be able to just sideload the same onto it. After installing Adrenaline, I see no reason to use an original PSP ever again - I gave my pile of them with all accessories to a friend.
I was never really worried about PS3, I've seen the files floating around online and have no doubt I'll be able to deal with the loss of the Sony store for it.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Well, it's official. I just got an email from Sony. PS3 and Vita stores will be shut down July 2, 2021 and PSP on August 27th.

From the email...

Sony wrote:What does this mean for you?
You will no longer be able to purchase PS3, PS Vita and PSP digital content, including games and video content.

You will also no longer be able to make in-game purchases through games on PS3, PS Vita and PSP.

While the PSP storefront was previously closed in 2016, the remaining PSP purchase functionality (e.g. in-game purchases) will now be fully retired.

What about content you already own?
• You will still be able to download your owned PS3, PS Vita, and PSP content, including games and video content.
• You can download your owned content onto your PS3, PS Vita, or PSP by accessing the Download List on the respective device.
• If you have purchased a PS3/PS Vita cross-buy bundle and have only downloaded either the PS3 or PS Vita version, you will need to download the other version prior to the closure of PlayStation™Store on the relevant device.
• Video content that you own can be streamed on PS3, PS4 or PS5 through the My Videos app, or on mobile devices through the PlayStation™Video app.
• You will still be able to re-download and play game titles you have claimed through PlayStation®Plus as long as you remain a member of the service.

What about vouchers, wallet funds, and cross-buy content?
• You will still be able to redeem game and PlayStation®Plus vouchers on PS3, PS Vita, and PSP devices once PlayStation™Store and purchase functionality for these devices close.
• You will no longer be able to redeem PSN wallet fund vouchers (e.g. gift cards) on PS3, PS Vita, and PSP devices once PlayStation™Store and purchase functionality for these devices close.
• Your PSN wallet funds will remain in your PSN account, but you will only be able to use your wallet funds to purchase PS4 and PS5 products on PlayStation™Store on the web, PlayStation®App, or on PS4 and PS5 consoles.
• You will still be able to purchase cross-buy content through PlayStation™Store on the web, PlayStation®App, or on PS4 and PS5 consoles and access both the PS4 version and the PS3/PS Vita/PSP versions.

So that's good. Games you've purchased you can still download (for now). I wonder if that means that game update patches will still be available.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

Your last part is my main concern. But guess I won't miss what I didnt know about in a game anyway. I'm not gonna sit there and load up the 50 ps3 games I haven't played yet.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

stickem wrote:But guess I won't miss what I didnt know about in a game anyway.

Well devs don't give free updates that add content to the game. That is DLC, which they are happy to charge money for. The update patches are to fix bugs, and some games can have really horrible bugs. So you might miss the patches!
theclaw
Next-Gen

Post by theclaw »

Not unexpected with how slowly these games sell, but dang. I assure you the likes of Suikoden II and The Misadventures of Tron Bonne are going to leap in price after this shutdown!
Lum fan.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

Ziggy587 wrote:
stickem wrote:But guess I won't miss what I didnt know about in a game anyway.

Well devs don't give free updates that add content to the game. That is DLC, which they are happy to charge money for. The update patches are to fix bugs, and some games can have really horrible bugs. So you might miss the patches!

Yeah my modern gaming knowledge about these things are close to zero :D
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Spent $60 today and rounded out my PSN collection! I bought 5 PS1 games (Finger Flashing, GaiaSeed, Lucifer Ring, Lup Salad, Misadventures of Tron Bonne) and 3 PSN games (Qbert Rebooted, Retro/Grade, and Vessel). That’s it for me. They can go ahead and close the PS3 store now.

Next, I’ll be loading up all the physical games in my PS3 collection I think I’ll actually play in the near future (I.e., the next ten years) to make sure I have all the patches, updates, and DLC I might want.
Last edited by prfsnl_gmr on Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

Picked up a few last night after watching the metaljesus video on the subject. Gaia seed was one of those, its hard lol. Dezeamon plus was one of his I'm having more fun with. I still need a few ps1 RPGs and I'd like the first hotline miami before it closes.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

If you’re into shmups, ZANAC X ZANAC is a must.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:If you’re into shmups, ZANAC X ZANAC is a must.

Terrible at them but yes. I'll take a look, thanks!

An update: purchased it and like it alot. Thanks for the recommendation, good looking, approachable shmup. I was never into this genre (or a few other ps1 games I thought were just kids games I've purchased) .I'm just now experiencing most of these.