Turrican news!

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Turrican news!

Post by Sload Soap »

Turrican news! The series is getting two anthology style releases for you and your Switch (and probably PS4 and PC). So that's nice. But it doesn't have the C64 game which is a shame and splits what is basically only 6 games over 2 volumes which is a bit lame. Unfortunately despite speculation, no new game was mentioned but we have Gunlord so that's okay.

First disc volume has Turrican and Turrican 2, Super Turrican and Super Turrican Director's Cut and Mega Turrican Score Attack whatever that is. The second has Turrican 3, Mega Turrican and Director's Cut, Super Turrican 2 and Score Attack. As ever with these, I'm sure the physical versions will sell out in roughly a pico-second.

I'm excited about this, Turrican is a series I've heard people wax lyrical about for yonks but I've only ever really played them in emulators in bits so it'll be good to have them in one place.

BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Look cool as hell. I'll keep an eye on the eShop.
Michi
Next-Gen

Re: Turrican news!

Post by Michi »

For those interested, there are several versions available, including a Turrican Ultra Collector's Edition for €199.99, a regular Collector's Edition for €99.99, the two separate volumes for €34.99 each, and several authentic cart versions for Mega Drive/Genesis and Super Nintendo (PAL and US versions) for €49.99 each.

Oh, and they're being sold here by Strictly Limited Games, which usually sells items at a much slower rate than their competitors, Limited Run Games. Everything I see right now still has 50%+ stock remaining at this time.
Last edited by Michi on Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Is there someone knowledgeable enough to give a rundown of the series?
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Look cool as hell. I'll keep an eye on the eShop.

+1

I’d love a convenient way to play Turrican and Turrican 2.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

MrPopo wrote:Is there someone knowledgeable enough to give a rundown of the series?

I'm not knowledgeable about the minutia of the games themselves but I know the backstory. The basics are that the series started on the C64 and was programmed by the same guy who did Giana Sisters, Manfred Trenz. It was a bit of a technical marvel and got a port to the Amiga which became its natural home.

Turrican and Turrican 2 (and their ports) are fast paced platformer/shooters with quite mazy levels that some people, I think inaccurately, compare to Metroid. The levels are big but not interconnected, as far as I'm aware anyway. If you've heard of Gunlord, then this is what that game was aiming for. Big Europlatformer type levels with loads of nooks and crannies for secrets.

Then you have the games that are more straight run and guns which is Turrican 3, Mega Turrican and Super Turrican 2. They eschew the mazy levels and are much more linear. I think there is an air of PC snobbishness about these from Amiga fans as Turrican 3 is seen as the weakest of the series there but Mega Turrican (which is sort of a port) and Super Turrican 2 (which is its own thing) seem very well received by console players. Mega Turrican is seen as being in the bracket just below Contra: Hard Corps and Gunstar Heroes as far as that sort of game goes on the MD.

All the games move really fast, have really nice sprite work and pumping soundtracks.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

I just ordered the Genesis cart! I've always wanted to play this game but never really bothered tracking down a cart; this new version is pricey, but still less expensive than ebay versions and I expect that the "director's cut" means it will have some extra features.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Sweet!
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
marurun

Post by marurun »

Turrican seems to be one of those polarizing titles with a lot of love and a lot of dislike. I know the mechanics just don't mesh with me well at all, but it's clearly popular given just how many were made and how much effort went into them. If only the TG-16 port hadn't been so lackluster...
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I think the games that were designed for consoles fared a lot better.

I feel like the early computer entries and their respective ports have inherently janky controls. Then again, I'm not European.