Guinness is Falsely Copyright Claiming Hundreds of Speedruns

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
Ziggy

Guinness is Falsely Copyright Claiming Hundreds of Speedruns

Post by Ziggy »

Guinness is Falsely Copyright Claiming Hundreds of Speedrunning Videos!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXughXH7YTc

This is really dumb. I've thought a lot about starting a YouTube channel, but everything I hear about copyright claims just makes it sound like it would be nightmare. But THIS is taking it to another level.

Hopefully this gets resolved in favor of all the runners affected by it, I feel bad for them.
Ziggy

Re: Guinness is Falsely Copyright Claiming Hundreds of Speed

Post by Ziggy »

Apparently Guinness is already working to fix this. There's a pinned comment from them, but people have their suspicions what really happened.

Whether or not Guinness intended to "acquire" the rights to a world record speedrun video and/or claim copyright to hundreds of speedrun videos so they could get the ad revenue, who knows? But if nothing else, this shines a light on how broken the entire system is right now. The content creation that exists right now is unprecedented, but many of these content creators have to walk on eggshells in regards to copyright infringement.
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

I've never understood how companies can claim copyright on videos of video games. You're not distributing the software, assets, or music. It's literally just a video; not the actual content contained in the game code.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Gunniess just reinstated Billy Mitchell's records in their records. The wording behind their reasoning is completely unrelated to the reason it was removed. Their credibility was already questionable, but this is just so totally unscientific and unprofessional. SMH...
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Omerta
Next-Gen

Post by Omerta »

Anapan wrote:Gunniess just reinstated Billy Mitchell's records in their records. The wording behind their reasoning is completely unrelated to the reason it was removed. Their credibility was already questionable, but this is just so totally unscientific and unprofessional. SMH...

Didn’t these guys used to make all of those big annual picture books that accumulate at Goodwills? Or are they a beer company? I don’t know. I used to know when there wasn’t an internet. I wouldn’t want to waste a perfectly good Googling on them.

The struggle for relevance is real.
"Farewell, good hunter.
May you find your worth
in the waking world."
Ack

Post by Ack »

Both, from what I recall. The world record book was created as a way to help drunk folks at the pub have a way to back up claims. I think they split at some point, and the brewery is now owned by Diageo.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Guiness’s reasoning is actually pretty sound. They are VERY hesitant to invalidate records without very solid proof, because they are normally sticklers for verification for inclusion. Their reliance on Twin Galaxies may have been a mistake due to the buddy-buddy nature of the original founder with Mitchell, but the fact is they allowed those scores in, and nothing short of a smoking gun or admission of guilt will generally reverse them (according to one source I read).
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Here's a sort of follow up video...

Guinness World Records Should Stay Out Of Gaming