New RetroTINK products

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
bmoc
Next-Gen

New RetroTINK products

Post by bmoc »

RetroTINK announced some new products over the weekend. They have a Pro version of their classic RetroTINK-2X product that includes a component input and optional scanlines. The 2X-SCART is like the classic RetroTINK-2X but with a single SCART input and also a scanline feature. And finally, the COMP2RGB is a component to SCART transcoder.

https://www.retrotink.com/blog/we-re-back-for-2020-with-new-products

RetroTINK-2X Pro - $129.99
    Professional injection molded enclosure
    Inputs: Component, S-video, Composite (shared with the green jack)
    Output: HDMI
    Automatic format detection: NTSC, PAL, PAL-60, PAL-M*, NTSC-443* and SECAM*
    SCANLINE mode
    Adjustable comb filtering for Retro (notch) and Video (2-D comb)
    USB firmware upgrade capability - no special tools needed
    Note: includes microUSB cord for power. Due to the many different types of plugs, we don't include an AC adaptor. The 2X uses an advanced power supply filtering circuit and is tolerant of virtually any USB source. Best would be the port on your TV or display if you have one.

2X-SCART - $89.99
    Pick between professional injection molded or Special Edition Greg Collins 3D-printed enclosure
    SCANLINE mode
    USB firmware upgrade capbility - no special tools needed
    Full-sized HDMI port
    Plug-and-play operation: RGBs SCART in and HDMI output
    Note: includes microUSB cord for power. Due to the many different types of plugs, we don't include an AC adaptor. The 2X uses an advanced power supply filtering circuit and is tolerant of virtually any USB source. Best would be the port on your TV or display if you have one.

COMP2RGB - $74.99
    Injection molded enclosure
    Multi-format support: 240p/288p/480i/576i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
    Automatic switching between Rec. 601 and Rec. 709 conversion matricies depending on input resolution
    Includes microUSB cord. Due to the many different types of plugs, we don't include an AC adaptor. Use a clean, good quality USB power adaptor or the USB port on your TV or monitor, if possible.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Re: New RetroTINK products

Post by Sarge »

I find it frustrating that the 2X Pro hit right after I just got the original model, but looking at the features, I don't think it would bring me much beyond a nicer case. The scanlines make the image very dark, from my understanding.

I will say I'm very happy with the performance of my 2X. It's light years ahead of my TV's scaling of composite, for example, and S-Video looks very nice.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

https://www.retrotink.com/product-page/5x-pro

The 5x Pro goes on sale May 1st! Not a cheap device but it can do some impressive things. I'm curious how it will compare to the OSSC Pro when it finally materializes.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

bmoc wrote:https://www.retrotink.com/product-page/5x-pro

The 5x Pro goes on sale May 1st! Not a cheap device but it can do some impressive things. I'm curious how it will compare to the OSSC Pro when it finally materializes.

Whoa, that looks impressive. The things that caught my eye were automatic features and no drop when switching to/from 240p and 480i. Those are easily my two least favorite things about using the Framemeister. Profiles helped, but it still felt like you had to spend so much time setting things up when you just want to turn on a game console and go. And the sync delay when switching resolutions made some games unplayable.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

I want to know how well it handles 480i. I've been critical of how the OSSC does it with bob deinterlacing. So much so that I send all my 480i content to a CRT in my setup. There are some Youtube videos out there on RetroTink's channel of its various deinterlacing modes but Youtube compression makes it very hard to tell what it actually looks like. That CRT simulation mode looks promising though.

I just read through the manual and there is a setting to enable a white border around the screen for Sinden lightgun support. I'm not sure how the Sinden lightgun would get x/y coordinate information though. There is a USB port on the 5x Pro but it is used for power and connecting to a PC for firmware updates. Maybe with a powered USB hub, they could have full Sinden lightgun support? If so, that is REALLY exciting.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

I was able to get one and as of this posting, they are not sold out. EDIT: and they are gone at 12:07 EST

RetroRGB posted a very positive review recently if you are on the fence. https://www.retrorgb.com/the-retrotink- ... rived.html
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I just watched that video and I have to say the 5X looks really attractive!
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

So happy to see this and dig the 5X has a menu & remote .. but something significant the Tink devices are missing IMO is being able to adjust 4:3 or 16:9 on the device itself vs TV settings.

Seems like a massive oversight. Not all TVs have this option in modes above 480p. Even RetroRGB video showed some 1440p footage stretched to 16:9 bc his monitor didn't have ability to adjust to 4:3. Seems strange when XRGB models & OSSC all offer it.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

Jagosaurus wrote:So happy to see this and dig the 5X has a menu & remote .. but something significant the Tink devices are missing IMO is being able to adjust 4:3 or 16:9 on the device itself vs TV settings.

Seems like a massive oversight. Not all TVs have this option in modes above 480p. Even RetroRGB video showed some 1440p footage stretched to 16:9 bc his monitor didn't have ability to adjust to 4:3. Seems strange when XRGB models & OSSC all offer it.

That's probably not outside the realm of possibility for a future firmware update.

I was reading Mike Chi's Twitter and there was some talk of custom modes for handhelds. A PSP mode is pretty much done and a Gameboy Interface mode might be happening.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

That would be really nice. I know at least 2 of my TVs are locked to widescreen above 480p. Reportedly some of these type sets will still show game area in 4:3, but it's rolling the dice.

I've been able to test using a BD player and forcing to different resolutions with a 4:3 movie. Over HDMI I can adjust at 480p but not 720p & up. Sure I'm not alone.

Wait... Gameboy interface? Interesting!

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5