Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
Anapan
Next-Gen

Re: New RetroTINK products

by Anapan Tue May 04, 2021 9:45 pm

I like that it can downscale! I still haven't built and programmed my GBS-Control unit, but the downscaling was my main reason for making one. I will probably buy this as well. The deinterlacing is very impressive.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Tue May 18, 2021 12:58 pm

My 5X Pro finally shipped! Hopefully, I will get it before the end of the week. I doubt I will do a write-up on it because there are plenty of reviews out there. My Life in Gaming did a stellar review just a few days ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvFzcn8NCb4
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Fri May 28, 2021 10:28 am

Uggh...USPS may have lost my 5X Pro. It has been a week since there was any movement on it. I've submitted a package inquiry with USPS. If this doesn't do anything, then I have wait another week to submit a missing mail form.
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Sun May 30, 2021 11:09 pm

Good news! My 5x Pro is on the move again. I've never had a domestic package go so long without being scanned. I've had a few that got routed to the wrong part of the country before but never this. It took 9 days for the package to get from CA to SC. I wonder if the package inquiry had anything to do with it.

In other 5x Pro news, someone is working on an add-on for it that flips the scart port around to a better orientation for cable management. It will also have VGA port and a 3.5mm audio jack. I am assuming input and output respectively.

For some concept art:
https://twitter.com/hashtag/SCARTFlip?src=hashtag_click
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Mon May 31, 2021 7:32 am

bmoc wrote:Good news! My 5x Pro is on the move again. I've never had a domestic package go so long without being scanned. I've had a few that got routed to the wrong part of the country before but never this. It took 9 days for the package to get from CA to SC. I wonder if the package inquiry had anything to do with it.

FWIW, I ordered something from eBay that was shipped from FL. The first scan by USPS was on the May 18th, and the last scan was the 20th. Still in FL. Yesterday was the 30th I can I sick of waiting, so I went to do a missing package inquiry. Well, when you go to do it the USPS site is like "Hey, why don't you track it first?" So I did, and then all of a sudden a new line magically appeared in the tracking history. Now it says, "In Transit, Arriving Late. Your package will arrive later than expected, but is still on its way. It is currently in transit to the next facility."

bmoc wrote:In other 5x Pro news, someone is working on an add-on for it that flips the scart port around to a better orientation for cable management. It will also have VGA port and a 3.5mm audio jack. I am assuming input and output respectively.

The 5x looks awesome, but to be honest, I think the orientation of the SCART input was a real bone headed idea. First off, I really dislike side input. They are very annoying to deal with, and not at all something you'd like to see in a high end AV setup. And if it just has to be on the side, for crying out loud, why put it facing that way? Pretty much all SCART connectors have the cable coming out on an angle, why face the angle toward the front of the unit? That's just so stupid!

That adapter you linked from The Real Phoenix looks really neat, hopefully it doesn't end up costing too much. I'm sure everyone would have paid a few more dollars for the unit and shipping if they made it just a tad longer and put the SCART input on the back! Maybe they faced it that way because they thought it would be more user friendly to people wanting to constantly switch SCART cables?

Someone made a stand for the 5v that holds it vertically and has a clip for the SCART cable. It also holds the remote. Being that it's just a little 3D printed thing, it's probably a lot cheaper than that adapter by The Real Phoenix.

https://www.retrorgb.com/retrotink-5x-v ... ofrog.html
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Mon May 31, 2021 11:18 am

Mike Chi isn't a big fan of scart. He only added the scart port to the 5X Pro because Bob from RetroRGB insisted. Because it was a late addition, sourcing a scart port that faced the other way would have added a significant delay to the project.

I've seen that vertical stand as well. It is certainly an economical solution. I think I saw somewhere that it would be around $12. I'm not sure if I will have room in my setup for it to be vertical. I'll try some different placements once my unit arrives.
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Mon May 31, 2021 7:01 pm

Its a Memorial Day miracle! The USPS actually delivered it on a holiday. I am in shock.

I've only spent a few hours with it trying different consoles and settings. Updating the firmware is easy and went very smoothly. 480i content looks fantastic with Motion Adaptive deinterlacing. Sadly, I didn't like the CRT simulate deinterlace setting. It "feels" like bob deinterlacing with ridiculously dark scanlines. It did not look good on my display. One day this week I will take it upstairs and try it on the 4K TV so I can attempt 1440p.
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:45 am

I just saw that some new firmware for the 5X Pro was released a couple of days ago. https://www.retrotink.com/post/retrotin ... re-updates

I'll have to try these new settings out when I get home:

-Scanline generator now has 25%, 50%, 80% and 100% (integer) modes.
-480p style scanlines can be applied to de-interlaced 480i content.

I was playing some Marvel vs Capcom 2 the other day on my PS2 and was thinking it would look better with scanlines. Other than the orientation of the SCART port, this was my only minor gripe with the 5X Pro. And regarding the orientation of the SCART port, the "SCARTFlip" product that is being worked on will have 2 versions. One will be a passive adapter that turns the SCART port around and the other turns it around plus adds the VGA port. The latter will require external power.
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:19 pm

https://www.retrotink.com/post/introduc ... trotink-4k

RetroTINK 4K is coming. Looks like it will be hella expensive.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:22 pm

bmoc wrote:https://www.retrotink.com/post/introducing-the-retrotink-4k

RetroTINK 4K is coming. Looks like it will be hella expensive.

Expensive as hell but undeniably the premier gaming upscaler. If I didn't have a 5X already, I'd definitely get one.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Return to Old-School Gaming News