Page 6 of 8

Re: Turbografx 16 mini announced by konami!

Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:35 am
by PartridgeSenpai
pierrot wrote:I find the inclusion of Snatcher to be pretty cool, in general. I might actually need to play is again, to experience the "definitive" version of the game, if I end up getting one of these. That would be something, if they also translated it. I can't see Konami putting that kind of effort into this, though.


Same. Honestly the addition of Snatcher alone makes this something I'm pretty close to buying (if it were just a little cheaper XP). It's hard enough to find for consoles I do have that an option like this is definitely appealing.

Re: Turbografx 16 mini announced by konami!

Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:00 am
by Erik_Twice
Given how Turbografx CD emulation can be such a pain, I can't say I'm not intrigued!

Re: Turbografx 16 mini announced by konami!

Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:43 am
by marurun
Download Ootake. Problem solved! That said, I will eventually get one of these.

Re: Turbografx 16 mini announced by konami!

Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:44 am
by samsonlonghair
PartridgeSenpai wrote:
pierrot wrote:I find the inclusion of Snatcher to be pretty cool, in general. I might actually need to play is again, to experience the "definitive" version of the game, if I end up getting one of these. That would be something, if they also translated it. I can't see Konami putting that kind of effort into this, though.


Same. Honestly the addition of Snatcher alone makes this something I'm pretty close to buying (if it were just a little cheaper XP). It's hard enough to find for consoles I do have that an option like this is definitely appealing.

Wait... wait... wait. Did Snatcher get confirmed? I thought that was just a rumor.

Edit, oh I see now. It's in Japanese. So a game with heavy text in a language I cannot read. Alright then. :?

Re: Turbografx 16 mini announced by konami!

Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:17 am
by marurun
I wonder why the SegaCD version is considered definitive.

Re: Turbografx 16 mini announced by konami!

Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:54 pm
by pierrot
Because it’s the only version most people in the English speaking world have played? Kojima hates that it even exists. Considering how devoted some fans are to the gospel of Kojima, it is curious that no one has any qualms about the Sega CD version. I think there are a few factors, but it doesn’t bother me if people like that version. I do think it would be neat if more people had the opportunity to experience it a different way, though.

Re: Turbografx 16 mini announced by konami!

Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:30 pm
by PartridgeSenpai
pierrot wrote:Because it’s the only version most people in the English speaking world have played? Kojima hates that it even exists. Considering how devoted some fans are to the gospel of Kojima, it is curious that no one has any qualms about the Sega CD version. I think there are a few factors, but it doesn’t bother me if people like that version. I do think it would be neat if more people had the opportunity to experience it a different way, though.


What makes the PCE CD version definitive over the Mega CD, PS1, and Saturn ports? I'd never heard of a PCE version until it was confirmed for this, tbh :O

Re: Turbografx 16 mini announced by konami!

Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:53 pm
by pierrot
It's the least censored home console release. It also includes the third chapter, which wasn't part of the original PC releases. I've mentioned this a few times before on the boards, but the main source I have is from Hideo Kojima's radio show in Japan. Since you could potentially understand it, I may as well actually link to it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_MdjBuYzls. His costar mentions that she's started playing the PC Engine version of Snatcher, and Kojima eventually gets into the history of his work on the game. Around 5:30 he starts to bitch about Konami making the other three versions without his consent. None of them actually add anything significant over the PCE version, and in the case of the PS1 version especially, are fairly censored in certain places. I think the Saturn version was actually the least censored of those three (Sega CD, PS1, and Saturn), but it still has a bunch of subtle changes that he doesn't like. I really loved the credits music in the Saturn version, but I guess the music is a really big sticking point for him.

Re: Turbografx 16 mini announced by konami!

Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:43 am
by PartridgeSenpai
pierrot wrote:It's the least censored home console release. It also includes the third chapter, which wasn't part of the original PC releases. I've mentioned this a few times before on the boards, but the main source I have is from Hideo Kojima's radio show in Japan. Since you could potentially understand it, I may as well actually link to it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_MdjBuYzls. His costar mentions that she's started playing the PC Engine version of Snatcher, and Kojima eventually gets into the history of his work on the game. Around 5:30 he starts to bitch about Konami making the other three versions without his consent. None of them actually add anything significant over the PCE version, and in the case of the PS1 version especially, are fairly censored in certain places. I think the Saturn version was actually the least censored of those three (Sega CD, PS1, and Saturn), but it still has a bunch of subtle changes that he doesn't like. I really loved the credits music in the Saturn version, but I guess the music is a really big sticking point for him.


Oh wow, that's so cool! Thank you so much :D
I shall have to see if I can listen to that and actually understand it later X3

Re: Turbografx 16 mini announced by konami!

Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:30 pm
by IMJ
I love my vintage TurboGrafx stuff, and I'm a fan of original hardware. But I've got to admit that there's something to be said for having an awesome array of mini-consoles in a game deck, all HDMI'd to the T.V........

On the other hand, nothing is as much fun as sliding those lil' chip boards into your vintage system.... coolest game engagement in system history.