Game Boy is back sorta as Ultra Game Boy

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
Segata
Next-Gen

Game Boy is back sorta as Ultra Game Boy

Post by Segata »

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/0 ... e_game_boy

It's backlit which can be adjusted or turned off. Charge with USB C. No Preloaded games. 7 hours battery life. Aluminum body. Doesn't seem to be color despite the black cart. About $100. Not sure it's very Ultra but might be nice for some. My OG Game Boy no longer works. I wish I kept my Atomic Purple GBC.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: Game Boy is back sorta as Ultra Game Boy

Post by CRTGAMER »

The screen looks very bright and appears to have blue in the startup screen. Maybe it is color and will support the gameboy color games? That or just the black and white screen reflecting the blue due to brightness. At least did not go with the "aged" green which was hard to see. With GBA and original DS portables so much cheaper, might be a difficult sell. I think the consumer aimed at would be the older crowd that grew up with the original Gameboy.

CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

CRTGAMER wrote:The screen looks very bright and appears to have blue in the startup screen. Maybe it is color and will support the gameboy color games? That or just the black and white screen reflecting the blue due to brightness

It's backlit, like it says in the original post. The backlight is probably blue.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

I've seen a BUNCH of gameboy color clones come out recently. It's no surprise; the Gameboy Color came out in 1998 and patents expire after twenty years.
Inventor(s)
- Charles P. Eck
- Hiroshi Kamada
- Claude Comair
Current Assignee
- Nintendo Co Ltd
- Nintendo Software Tech Corp
Original Assignee
- Nintendo Co Ltd

Segata wrote:Doesn't seem to be color despite the black cart

They all have color screens. To be honest, I don't think anyone manufactures a black & white (or black & pea green) LCD screen at that size anymore. Don't get me wrong; you can still send a B&W image to a color LCD, and it will display in B&W. This would be purely a restriction of the source material, not a shortcoming of the LCD panel.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Considering the creator, and that they are shooting at just below $100 ($99.99?) I can't say there really is much value in this unfortunately especially since it's a GB Pocket with a backlight being cloned here with an internal battery with a glass lens.

The aftermarket as the Chinese got smart, but took years to refine using the closed down designs/molds Nintendo had them do from the GBA SP forward, are now placing out in mass replacement parts using original spec. Ebay costs more, but you can buy a broken SP for very little, then add in a shell with plastic lens ($15~, $20 with glass), a new 101 style LCD for $40~ you can get in for far less less (DIY) with a superior product or about the same price if you find some non-ebay $100/hr labor scammer listing too.

Pay the same if you can't do the work, get all generations Gameboy, or Hyperkin for just a GB (not GBC, not GBA) for the same price. I don't see a draw for this beyond people who just have to have it or don't know any better.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Tanooki wrote:Considering the creator, and that they are shooting at just below $100 ($99.99?) I can't say there really is much value in this unfortunately especially since it's a GB Pocket with a backlight being cloned here with an internal battery with a glass lens.

Yeah, looks like the Game Boy Light with an LCD that doesn't have the bad ghosting and not using AA's.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Interesting, but the Hyperkin logo kills me ;/
marurun

Post by marurun »

Unless they've cloned the original chipset, this is basically a $100 emulation handheld, and GB emulation is already much cheaper. I don't know what they're going for with this, really.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I'd rather either use a free emulator on my phone or use the cartridges with my Retron 5.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I agree on the value proposition here...Now, if they added a Game Gear cart slot, then we’d be talking.