The OSSC Thread

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
Anapan
Next-Gen

Re: The OSSC Thread

Post by Anapan »

I'll second the XRGB3, it does S-Video really well. The budget (Composite+SVideo) transcoder solutions are all really bad. I've bought at least 6 of them hoping the smaller shell meant different motherboard innards that didn't suck - all are equally shitty from my experience.
For less budget I've usually had Google steer me toward Altona products. I own two of their products, and have called their tech guys to ask questions before I ordered another. The solid answer is these are strictly scalers. You will never get 1:1 or 1:2 etc scaling. They all run the same SOC scaler and it is not capable of a clean 1:1 picture. Very blurry and slightly green tinted in the darker color range. Also, lag.
I have been able to tune a PC video capture card (with S-video input) to feed raw YUY2 data to some optimized filters and get a good full-screen image output to VGA without too much lag and a perfectly tuned image (still interlaced, to reduce lag), but this took a lot of trial and error with a hacked driver back in the day and I was using the composite out (multi-output video cable from the consoles) to play the game while capturing the raw video due to the slightly still-present lag & interlacing. With a quick deinterlacing filter running, the game was beautiful and playable on a crap computer that I had in 2009. Probably a decent used usb3 capture card nowadays would easily beat it...?
I have seen some project/bread-board solutions. These are off the shelf parts that turn S-Video Chroma-Luma to RGB 15Khz, ready to be output through SCART or BNC. They were solutions for arcade monitor enthusiasts. If they were simple, I'd have made one up for compatability to my various hardware, but I didn't really need one due to RGB modding I've done to all of my retro consoles (oldschool NES PC10 and SNES done by Jinn); It's easier to pull RGB off of most consoles motherboards than it is to make the S-Video transcoding board you'd have to build. Google will steer you right if you want to make your own solution with ~$20 parts from Digikey or Mouser. Post a topic in the hacks forum with the parts list and I'll play along with you. I do want one of these transcoding boards so we can build it together. Mouser's parts take 3-6 days to arrive to me if they're in stock.

I did make an S-Video to Chroma & Luma RCA cable so my monochrome displays didn't have colour fringing. It's super effective. The 9" green monochrome monitor never looked so crisp and retro with my Saturn and PS1 games.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Thanks for confirming. I've never tried 480p over HDMI on my sets but my BR player does let me manually chose resolution. I'll test it.

In general, the Framemeister lag is going to be less than many (most?) TV's native upscaler, correct?

With the OSSC there is zero lag other than your TV HDMI port would have a current gen system, right?

Appreciate it :).

Add: @Anapan, if you could gather up PC parts for a modern s vid to VGA solution vs 15Hz... that'd be legit :shock:

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

The Framemeister is going to add about 1.5 frames of lag to your display's inherent lag. With the OSSC you are only dealing with your display's inherent lag whatever that may be. The OSSC won't add any additional lag like the Framemeister.

You might be able to find how much lag your display has at this website if you know the model number. https://displaylag.com/display-database/
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

OSSC Remote Control overlays are coming soon from VideoGamePerfection.com. I don't use my remote much now that I have everything set the way I like it. Still, I may pick one up if the price is reasonable. Shipping might make it too much coming from the UK.
Jerkface Killah
32-bit

Post by Jerkface Killah »

bmoc wrote:OSSC Remote Control overlays are coming soon from VideoGamePerfection.com. I don't use my remote much now that I have everything set the way I like it. Still, I may pick one up if the price is reasonable. Shipping might make it too much coming from the UK.

I ordered one of the overlays. I think t came to like $8 after shipping to the US, which is fine.
JFK
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Okay... sanity check here... pretty sure but want to double check:

The OSSC & XRGB mini will both allow me to have 4:3 over HDMI selected at the device level, correct? My TV does not have the option to force 4:3 over HDMI, meaning cheap scalers that auto fit to 16:9 aren't a good option for me. Making sure I can change this to 4:3 within the OSSC or XRGB settings. 99% sure, but confirming.

Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

You can with the Framemeister. It's the "Auto / Wide / 4:3 " toward the bottom of the remote.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/XRGB-Mini-Fram ... xygPtSwvBd

PS, If you get a Framemeister get yourself the translated remote overlay.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

I can't speak for the XRGB mini, but the OSSC defaults to 4:3. http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?titl ... Output_opt.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Okay, awesome. Thanks for confirming! I was looking at some budget scalers with decent reputations. Unfortunately most of the users are using their TVs to force to 4:3 versus the scaler itself.

I've even considering being satisfied with S video from console & XRGB 2 outputting RGB VGA at 640x480.

Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Jagosaurus wrote:I've even considering being satisfied with S video from console & XRGB 2 outputting RGB VGA at 640x480.

FWIW, when I first got my Framemeister I scaled 240p to 480p for a while. I just preferred the smoother look.