The OSSC Thread

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
Ziggy

Re: The OSSC Thread

Post by Ziggy »

Well as of right now, this thread has 400-some-odd views. So you know people are reading it. Whether it be forum members or people finding it in Google searches, it's being read.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Now that there's an audio upgrade option, this us much more attractive to me. I'm still leaning towards a XRGB personally, but I can see the appeal.

Any one try this on a 4K set yet? I know the TV will accept the 1080p output. Just curious how it looks the resolution scaled 5x by the OSSC, then doubled by the 4KTV.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

Jagosaurus wrote:Now that there's an audio upgrade option, this us much more attractive to me. I'm still leaning towards a XRGB personally, but I can see the appeal.

With the next batch, you won't even need to upgrade it. Digital audio out via the DVI port will be a standard feature.

Jagosaurus wrote:Any one try this on a 4K set yet? I know the TV will accept the 1080p output. Just curious how it looks the resolution scaled 5x by the OSSC, then doubled by the 4KTV.

I tried it briefly on a 4K TV. The TV in my living room is 4K and it worked with all the modes at the time. 3X 480i is new since I tried it so I'm not sure if that one will work because it is 1440i. 4X 480i (960p) is also new but I am pretty sure that will work because 240p at 4X worked.

But like I said, I did not put much time into it because my OSSC lives in the basement with all my retro consoles. With the 20ish minutes I put into it, it looked pretty great at 4K resolutions. I might have some time this afternoon to take some pictures. If the dominoes fall correctly, I'll post some later today.

Until then, here is a youtube video (not mine) of a high end OLED 4K tv utilizing the 5X mode. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwE78la ... ture=share
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

These pictures are not they best quality because I could not eliminate the glare from other light sources but hopefully you will get an idea of what to expect. All the images except for the last two are from 240p sources.

http://imgur.com/a/0nSeJ

On this particular 4K TV, I think it looks best at 960p. 1080p is stretched a bit and on some games, the amount it crops is too much. It does not look bad by any means but I personally liked 960p better.

I also experimented with 480i at 3X and 4X. As expected, 3X does not work because it outputs 1440i. 4X (960p) worked but you won't get any decent scanlines. Look at the last two pictures for a comparison of 2X and 4X.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

First, those pics look great to me. Well, except for the one :lol:

I'm impressed the 4K set accepts 480p over HDMI. I just recently picked up a 4K for the living room so I was curious. I remember that resolution being an issue for the PS2 & Wii HDMI converters that were essentially a pass through. A lot of folks' 1080p TVs didn't accept 480i/p over HDMI.

One thing that scares me about the XRGB & OSSC is the sheer time I know I would put into tinkering & optimizing for each console on each of my TVs... then 3D versus 2D games :lol:.

Great to hear about the sound board being included moving forward. All you need now is a simple DVI to HDMI conveter.

No composite (even over SCART) or S video is a bummer for those non RGB consoles, or those that require mods. Think I mentioned that way earlier in this thread. No goofy mini DIN or JPN21 is a plus though.

Not sure I ever would've noticed this:
One thing I noticed was that the colors of the RCA plugs are not in the standard order for component.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Post by JoeAwesome »

Jagosaurus wrote:No goofy mini DIN or JPN21 is a plus though.

Speak for yourself :lol:
I'm trying to find something to convert my JP21 cable (supergun) to a US standard other than an XRGB.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

JoeAwesome wrote:
Jagosaurus wrote:No goofy mini DIN or JPN21 is a plus though.

Speak for yourself :lol:
I'm trying to find something to convert my JP21 cable (supergun) to a US standard other than an XRGB.

Well then do I have good news for you. JP21 can easily be rewired into SCART. If you can solder, you can pop open your JP21 connector and change it to SCART. If you're unable to, you can get a simple passive JP21 to SCART adapter. If you cannot find one for purchase, just bug people on forums until you find someone to make one for you.

Once you have SCART, now you have a ton of options besides the XRGB.

https://www.amazon.com/TNP-Converter-Ad ... scart+hdmi

https://www.amazon.com/SPECIALTY-AV-SCA ... +component
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

More info on the new hardware revision is out https://www.videogameperfection.com/201 ... ew-update/

Turns out that HDMI is going to be the new standard output method. I'm not sure if that has been mentioned prior to this article. If it has then I completely missed it. Still, I'm sure this will be welcome news for a lot of folks.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

Preorders are open to everyone now. https://www.videogameperfection.com/201 ... -everyone/
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

I just found out about some new HDMI cables that have an upscaler/anti-aliaser chip built into them. http://www.marseilleinc.com/mcable-gaming-edition/

The following review specifically mentioned retro games and I agree that it did not do Super Mario World any favors. However, they did not mention how they were converting SNES to HDMI. I suspect they may have been using a PC with an emulator. At $119+, I'm not likely to try them out anytime soon but I am super curious how well they would pair with an OSSC.

My questions are:

1. If the OSSC does the heavy lifting on upscaling, would this cable improve things further?
2. 3D games would stand to benefit the most from the added anti-aliasing but would it add anything worthwhile to 2D games?
3. Would this cable allow some the "off-spec" OSSC output resolutions to work an otherwise incompatible display?