The OSSC Thread

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
bmoc
Next-Gen

Re: The OSSC Thread

Post by bmoc »

Glad you figured it out. I've found with my smart tv, I occasionally have to do the same thing to get the gremlins out. My old circa 2010 tv has never had that problem.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

bmoc wrote:Glad you figured it out. I've found with my smart tv, I occasionally have to do the same thing to get the gremlins out. My old circa 2010 tv has never had that problem.

Yeah my circa 2000 plasma and LCD lasted 15 years without issue. Lucky to get 5 years out of any I've bought the last 10 years. I guess I did somehow knock the metal sd card tray out of commission on the OSSC, but I really doubt I'll want any firmware upgrades anyway. I'm happy with the setup.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Hadn't updated my OSSC's firmware in quite a while because functionally it's always done exactly what I needed with only minor tweaks for certain consoles.
The biggest improvement for me is that in 0.87 (from 2 months ago) the OSD now shows a lot more. All the options are displayed vertically on your screen, so navigating around is much more intuitive.
If for no other reason, I recommend everyone upgrade for the new OSD.
http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?title=OSSC#v0.88
I haven't messed with it yet, but the new profile import (and web-app for creation) could be pretty useful.
http://www.firebrandx.com/osscprofiles.html
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

What's the deal with the ossc and hdmi switchers? To save on cords I wanted my retrotinks and ossc to go to an hdmi switcher. The retrotinks displayed while the oscc did not. Anybody have a switcher that you are using with your ossc?
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

I go straight from my OSSC to my TV to avoid any problems a switcher might introduce. However, there is a good thread on shmups about HDMI switches that work well with the OSSC. https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=63585
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

bmoc wrote:I go straight from my OSSC to my TV to avoid any problems a switcher might introduce. However, there is a good thread on shmups about HDMI switches that work well with the OSSC. https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=63585

Thanks, I'll check it out. That's what I do now. But for the sake of wires cleanup, I wanted to go through a switcher. Mo systems, mo problems lol.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

My setup is PC into HDMI1, OSSC into HDMI4, and then all the rest of my HDMI consoles into HDMI2 & 3 behind switchers. Most if this is pragmatism; when I first set things up I was just using the first three HDMI ports and had the switchers in the cabinet with the consoles. When I switched from my dying X-RGB3 to RetroTINK + OSSC that went in a completely different part of my media center; hooking it up with the existing switches would have had cables running the wrong direction.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
RetroKingPin

Post by RetroKingPin »

The OSSC is such a great little device! I use it for all of my captured footage. I've experimented with both 4x and 5x modes and I think 4x is a better option that has the full text from the top and the bottom of the screen showing.

Current setup is:
Console
RGB Cable
Scart Switch
OSSC
Capture Card