Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
bmoc
Next-Gen

Re: Polymega/Retroblox: New 1080p "Clone" 2600 to PCE-CD to

by bmoc Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:15 am

nightrnr wrote:I still want to know if they would work if I were to play Marvel vs Street Fighter or something. I'm leaning yes, but time will tell.

Any supported controller can be used with any system on the Polymega provided it has enough buttons.

I really hope this thing starts shipping next week like they claim it will.
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:22 am

There aren't many days left in February and Polymega has gone dark again on social media. I got impatient so I emailed their support address asking for a shipping update. This is what they had to say:

We know this has been a long wait and we appreciate your patience as we process your Polymega pre-order. We have already begun shipping pre-orders to customers and if you pre-ordered from polymega.com in 2018 - 2019, you will be receiving your order soon. If you ordered in 2020 or later from our website or from our affiliates such as WWD (Europe), or Amazon / Rakuten / Yahoo in Japan, please know that we will begin processing those orders starting in Q2 2021 or as soon as all 2018 - 2019 pre-orders are fulfilled.

Please let us know if you have any other questions, we appreciate your support and have a great day!

They can't have shipped too many because I purchased almost as soon as preorders went live in 2018. Hopefully, they aren't just blowing smoke and I'll actually get this thing in the next couple of weeks.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:52 pm

So outside of the pre-order concerns, which are justified...

Has this thing lost some of it's luster since.. my Feb 2017 :shock: post ... over the past 4 years?

Things like... ODEs, SS Satiator, PSIO, MODE in 3 consoles now, & Terra Onion solutions for SCD & TG16... have come a long way. And for the most part are much more readily available. I know a lot folks were most interested in CD games.

Thoughts from folks who invested in it?

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:00 pm

Without having used one yet, I think the current price of $450 for the base unit is outrageous. Mister is a far better solution if you are spending that kind of money. I preordered when they were $250 which I thought was pretty reasonable for what it does. At $250, I saw it as a low cost point of entry into TG16, PC Engine, and NeoGeo CD scenes with the added benefit of playing PS1, Sega Saturn, and Sega CD in a different room. Losing the ability to use flash carts killed all my interest in the cartridge adapters.
marurun

by marurun Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:35 pm

bmoc wrote:Without having used one yet, I think the current price of $450 for the base unit is outrageous. Mister is a far better solution if you are spending that kind of money. I preordered when they were $250 which I thought was pretty reasonable for what it does. At $250, I saw it as a low cost point of entry into TG16, PC Engine, and NeoGeo CD scenes with the added benefit of playing PS1, Sega Saturn, and Sega CD in a different room. Losing the ability to use flash carts killed all my interest in the cartridge adapters.

Apparently the ability to emulate the Saturn quite well is the feather in this thing's cap. And I'm sure it won't be any time at all for someone to have made it able to load ROMs and CD images. Software emulation solutions will always have trouble with flash carts. I agree that the high price is off-putting, and for that reason it's not on my immediate want list, but if they continue to support it it may someday get on my list. If it does well I can imagine part costs coming down over time.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

by nightrnr Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:57 am

Okay, here's the scope of it from my end:

I ordered the deluxe model when it was $500, sometime mid 2020. Still way too much, but I know I'd end up wanting the add ons (having a satisfying amount of most of the systems, plus I'd love to use Sega 6-button controllers for games like Killer Instinct).

One of the main deciding factors for me (and others) is the future light gun support. There will be other ways to play, I'm sure, but this will be a simple option for any modern TV.

For a while, I thought I was just the wrong audience for this system (I've said as much in past posts). But the longer I talked myself in and out of it, the more I realized, I'm totally the target audience for this (assuming I had the cash to burn, and yes, I kind of hate myself for that too). But this revitalizes my interest in my collection and rekindles the fun of searching out a few more games to add to it.

And I don't think I'll hack it if that becomes a thing. I'll have well enough to put on it as it is and it will be really neat to have a digital collection focused on the games I actually own.
I may try the game patching feature though. That could be fun.

But I know I'm a unique scenario. I'll agree that this is mostly pointless outside of Saturn compatibility (especially if you go with only games you can physically access). And getting a Fenrir or MODE wouldn't be much cheaper anyway. If I didn't already have my Rhea and Phoebe Saturns, I would rectify that first.

I'll continue to wait for the Polymega, but looks like it might be a late spring early summer arrival for me (just in time for the light gun release, hopefully).

I'll be interested in hearing Bmoc's experience with it.
...just another lost soul...
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:28 pm

Seems the latest production issues are because of the unrest in Myanmar. The Polymega is being assembled there. https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/ ... n_problems

It is disappointing that I had to find this out on the news rather than from Playmaji. I suppose I should just be thankful that the recent attempted coup in the US was unsuccessful or we might be facing similar hardships. The stuff happening in Myanmar is way more serious than me not getting my 12th game console.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:02 pm

So... hm ... saw their business license was suspended :shock: ...

The saga continues... even if a clerical error as they're claiming lol.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:05 pm

A few quick updates.

1. The business license thing is now fixed. If you search on the CA gov website for Playmaji, you can see for yourself.

2. They think that they will ship the first 5000 units in May and are moving assembly to China from Myanmar. Source: https://youtu.be/ynHskhbrVqY?t=3936

Why they are "announcing" that in the chat of a Youtuber instead of social media is beyond me. (Eric Christensen is a cofounder of Playmaji)
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:05 am

Well it has been 4 months since "launch" and Playmaji is still radio silent on social media. They will respond after a few days if you email their support but they never have encouraging news.

Since preordering this thing almost 3 years ago I've acquired a Satiator for Saturn games and pretty soon I will have a Memcard Pro which should allow me to use FreePSXBoot for fan translations and unaffordable games. I still have a working Sega CD so that just leaves TurboCD and NeoGeoCD. Given the relatively few games I am interested in within that space, the Polymega is starting to look a lot less appealing.

I know the chip shortage and Myanmar coup are not their fault but the least they could do is provide the occasional status update. I going to hold onto my preorder for now, but if something better comes along like the Analogue Pocket, Analogue Duo, or even the fabled Switch Pro, I am likely going to ask for a refund to get one of those instead.
Return to Old-School Gaming News