RetroFreak (11 consoles in 1)

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
the7k
Next-Gen

Re: RetroFreak (11 consoles in 1)

Post by the7k »

I wonder why a Game Gear on TV console hasn't come out yet. There's always a few people out there (myself included) that really would like to be able to play their GG library again without messing with a cap kit.

Still, TG support is cool.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

CFFJR wrote::lol: Well I certainly wouldn't argue with a Retro 15!

It better have a slot for Saturn ram carts though or I swear...

In any case, sorry for being snippy.

Neither would I, but imagine the development and wait time on that. We haven't even heard anything about this Retron x86 that they mentioned last year yet.

It's ok, I shouldn't have just came out and said that either. I really had no idea how popular a system that would support Game Gear would be. Is it really a widespread problem with units dying due to bad caps?
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

ExedExes wrote:Neither would I, but imagine the development and wait time on that. We haven't even heard anything about this Retron x86 that they mentioned last year yet.

I'm not convinced that's a real thing. Technology companies have a bad habit of publishing product announcements on April 1st. If the product does not generate enthusiasm, it was all an April Fools joke. If the product is well-received, then it wasn't an April Fools joke... unless it was...or was it?

ExedExes wrote:It's ok, I shouldn't have just came out and said that either. I really had no idea how popular a system that would support Game Gear would be. Is it really a widespread problem with units dying due to bad caps?

I own three game gears. None of them work properly. All three have leaky capacitors. In fact, I have never found a game gear in the wild that works completely right.

Genesis, on the other hand, is an unstoppable tank. Nothing seems to harm a Sega Genesis. Left in a basement or garage? No Problem. Hasn't been used since the Clinton administration? Genesis still works fine. Buried under a pile of trash for twenty years? Just clean her off; she'll work fine.
marurun

Post by marurun »

If anything keeps this from coming to the US, it's this bit:

The most distinctive feature of retro freak, is "install feature" of the game. By installing the game from the connected cartridge, after that you can play the game without connecting the cartridge. Since the insertion and removal of the cartridge is not required, as well as prevent the deterioration of the precious cartridge terminal, to change the playing style of retro games up to this greatly.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

No doubt that would stop it in the courts if Nintendo, Sega, NEC or any others wanted to take a whack at tying it up. That was the reasoning Hyperkin gave alone for not doing it with the R5.

And on that, when I was talking to the tech regularly he did say that Retron x86 thing was real, didn't know much, but it was being made. Unless they scrap it, behind their doors, in some form it exists.
arcadifvid
32-bit

Post by arcadifvid »

the7k wrote:I wonder why a Game Gear on TV console hasn't come out yet. There's always a few people out there (myself included) that really would like to be able to play their GG library again without messing with a cap kit.

Still, TG support is cool.

i wonder about Game Gear as well. They made an effort for GBC,GBA; for Master System, they might have relied on the power base; but gamegear? same goes for ng pocket and wonderswan i guess. i dont expect lynx since this is from japan.

Hyperkin's excuse was there wasnt enough demand or so i heard.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

ExedExes wrote:It's ok, I shouldn't have just came out and said that either. I really had no idea how popular a system that would support Game Gear would be. Is it really a widespread problem with units dying due to bad caps?

Indeed it is.

I have one game gear, from my childhood. It has always been well cared for. But the sound is cutting out and the screen is too, both a result of the caps. It also has a loose connection where the adapter plugs in, so if I'm playing the system and say, shift it to the left a bit, the power will cycle.

All of these issues are fixable of course, but then you're still left with the GG's unfortunately blurry screen.

I love my old GG and I intend to have it fixed, but I'd also love to have an alternative.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I've not seen a single Game Gear in the last 8 years (since I started collecting) that didn't have screen issues and/or no sound due to capacitor issues. Not a single one. It's not just widespread, it is nigh-on universal. Finding one fully working that hasn't had capacitor replacements is like finding a needle in a haystack.

And like has been mentioned, even after having them replaced (which I had done recently) the best way to describe the Game Gear screen is 'just about functional'.

Plus, you have to use one of those fat adaptors and plug it into the wall to play unless you fancy spending stupid amounts of money on batteries.

All of these things are great reasons to want an affordable and functional Game Gear playing clone console. I have lots of ways to play NES and Mega Drive games and have them look great, but I have literally no good way to play Game Gear games.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Color me educated. So as far as portable systems go, that's a shame for those who have a ton of games and no way to find a working unit that can play them.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
arcadifvid
32-bit

Post by arcadifvid »

well is there a chance retrofreak adds in game gear support? 8) or maybe retron in the future