Gamestop to begin taking credit/selling retro consoles/games

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
mjmjr25

Re: Gamestop to begin taking credit/selling retro consoles/g

Post by mjmjr25 »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Talked to the guys in my local GS (Augusta, ME). They said it'll be "mostly online only" and that I should never expect to see retro stuff in any Maine GameStops.

Confirmed. They will be sold only in NY and TX stores - the rest will be online only. Games will be priced regardless if instock or not - so you can at least see what they are going to be charging.

All stores can take in retro games - stores have a buy-in price list; then they ship them to the various regional HQ's for the website.

There is nothing to get excited about here.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

My only hope is that specials like "buy 2 get 1" apply to these games. If so, it may be a good way for me to pick up some cheap games from Gamestop's website.
Soldier Blue
128-bit

Post by Soldier Blue »

Well, I'm in Texas so I guess I'll have to check it out.
Racketboy and Seller Feedback: Racketboy +7,
Video Price Charting Store:
https://www.pricecharting.com/offers?se ... rni7irmnam
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Post by Forlorn Drifter »

mjmjr25 wrote:Confirmed. They will be sold only in NY and TX stores - the rest will be online only. Games will be priced regardless if instock or not - so you can at least see what they are going to be charging.

Why these two states? Do they think that these states have the biggest retro game markets or what?

I might check on it, but at school and back here at home I have much better options for retro game buying. That one place up at school actually prices all of their games based on whether or not it has a manual, and box, and all that. And the prices aren't too bad, usually only a couple of bucks higher than I might think, although there are some amazing deals from time to time. I had to fight myself to keep from buying 2 more copies of HM:64.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Forlorn Drifter wrote:
mjmjr25 wrote:Confirmed. They will be sold only in NY and TX stores - the rest will be online only. Games will be priced regardless if instock or not - so you can at least see what they are going to be charging.

Why these two states? Do they think that these states have the biggest retro game markets or what?

I might check on it, but at school and back here at home I have much better options for retro game buying. That one place up at school actually prices all of their games based on whether or not it has a manual, and box, and all that. And the prices aren't too bad, usually only a couple of bucks higher than I might think, although there are some amazing deals from time to time. I had to fight myself to keep from buying 2 more copies of HM:64.

They might be thinking of size (the retro game market in NYC alone is larger than many states'), although I don't know why California wouldn't be included in with that.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Forlorn Drifter wrote:
Oh I had to comment. Curse you Gamestop for taking Retro Games from Thrift Stores and Swap Meets out of my state and selling them back East!

BookOff with six stores has the Franchise Retro Game market in my area covered. New York does have the one lone BookOff, interesting to see how it holds up with Gamestop now moving into the same market. Though always good to have more competition, Gamestop saturates and then wipes out competing stores even though Gamestop has very poor quality control on buy backs. No idea why anyone would want to risk buying a game direct thru their website.

Gee a tough choice, Pristine used games at BookOff or Sticker covered scratched up games at Gamestop! :lol:
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

o.pwuaioc wrote:
Forlorn Drifter wrote:

They might be thinking of size (the retro game market in NYC alone is larger than many states'), although I don't know why California wouldn't be included in with that.

If I remember correctly, their main offices and warehouses are in Grapevine TX and NYC.
bykfiend42

Post by bykfiend42 »

I'll have to check out the Texas stores while I'm there but I won't be holding out much hope. There was a time when Gamestop didn't jack up the price of rare games but I don't think that will continue. They just want to cash in on selling $200 copies of Kirby's Dreamland 3 like everyone else.
arcadifvid
32-bit

Post by arcadifvid »

let us know what you find (if any at all)
im really curious to know what their stock would look like
arcadifvid
32-bit

Post by arcadifvid »

didnt realize their online thing is already running

http://www.gamestop.com/collection/retro-classics

EDIT: and of course im late to find out there's already an existing thread about it :oops: