Upcoming record label to press retro game OSTs to vinyl !

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
EllertMichael
Next-Gen

Re: Upcoming record label to press retro game OSTs to vinyl

Post by EllertMichael »

Ziggy587 wrote:
EllertMichael wrote:Streets of Rage 2.

Funny you mention that one (I don't know if I can say more).

In that case, Toaplan vinyl box set, please! :P

I, too, am naturally concerned about the source for the audio. Maybe a crazy suggestion but what about ripping the songs directly from the carts straight to a reel to reel to add a bit of analouge warmth to that sweet sweet FM synth? 8)

What's this guy's "other label"? Just curious...

Also, any idea how the artwork is being handled yet?
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

EllertMichael wrote:I, too, am naturally concerned about the source for the audio. Maybe a crazy suggestion but what about ripping the songs directly from the carts straight to a reel to reel to add a bit of analouge warmth to that sweet sweet FM synth?

Of course, that's a completely legitimate concern. This whole hipster vinyl resurgence crap has made some of us scared about the quality of releases (if some one is just pumping something sub-standard out for the cash). I was asking about how exactly retro soundtracks will be mastered for vinyl. I don't have any more details yet, except for that he's already assured me that he has an audio engineer that is very good, that works on analog equipment, yadda yadda.

@ AQ: He's planning on doing 180g releases.

EllertMichael wrote:Also, any idea how the artwork is being handled yet?

I was actually just talking to him about that today. Obviously, the rights for the music doesn't mean you automatically have the rights to use logos, characters, and other such original artwork. From what he's told me, he's planning on doing things right.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

EllertMichael wrote: Maybe a crazy suggestion but what about ripping the songs directly from the carts straight to a reel to reel to add a bit of analouge warmth to that sweet sweet FM synth? 8)

Thats actually a really good idea. I might play around with that this weekend. I just need to buy more reels.
marurun

Post by marurun »

If you can get masters of the CD-released OSTs, many of them use upgraded components compared to the home consoles, enriching the sound slightly over even the native experience.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

marurun wrote:If you can get masters of the CD-released OSTs, many of them use upgraded components compared to the home consoles, enriching the sound slightly over even the native experience.

I know in some cases the composers have the rights, and some of them have masters and original equipment.
dogman91
128-bit

Post by dogman91 »

...this seems really pointless IMO, as the game soundtracks themselves are from a digital source.

What would be great is to somehow get into the vaults of those old school arranged soundtracks from the 80's and press vinyl from the original analog tapes (such as http://vgmdb.net/album/5496 or http://vgmdb.net/album/394 ; but who knows, this could have been recorded digitally).

Other than that... uh... record the output of the original hardware in question to tape and press vinyl from it? The Sega Genesis model 1 with it's analog filters and perhaps the Soundblaster 16 soundcard (AdLib music) come to mind. Though it's more convenient in this day and age for those to be recorded digitally anyway, and has been done; don't think there would be much of a difference in sound quality.

Check out http://www.16bitaudiophileproject.org/ ; all recorded from a model 1 Genesis and sounds MUCH better than the emulated sets (of which the emulated Genesis sets are all pretty inaccurate from the original hardware too I have to say; more so than other consoles). Check out Streets of Rage 1 & 2 from there.

edit: also, if he does get a hold of original masters as stated above, is it possible for them to be released digitally in FLAC format (as is, with perhaps some tagging)? Especially if the only other source out there are ripped lossy compressed formats from the retail game release (eg PC games and PS2/Gamecube era of consoles and up)
EllertMichael
Next-Gen

Post by EllertMichael »

dogman91 wrote:Other than that... uh... record the output of the original hardware in question to tape and press vinyl from it?

Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I'm kinda wondering about the whole digital -> analog dealy, like what's the point? If you remaster it you're filtering it which means you lose the original bit-perfect audio in trade for resampled fake higher fidelity it never had - It's kinda like taking a 16 color icon and blowing it up to full screen - maybe running a parametric EQ to pump up the bass?

I would be interested in some arranged albums tho. Maybe the Konami Perfect Selection, some albums from Taito's Zuntata, or Michiru Yamane.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

Anapan wrote:I'm kinda wondering about the whole digital -> analog dealy, like what's the point? If you remaster it you're filtering it which means you lose the original bit-perfect audio in trade for resampled fake higher fidelity it never had - It's kinda like taking a 16 color icon and blowing it up to full screen - maybe running a parametric EQ to pump up the bass?

Every single stage of audio reproduction, from the DACs in your reciever/tv/etc to the speakers it comes out of are already changing the sound in some way.

Anyone interested in analog isn't interested in bit-perfect reproduction of the music, but is instead interested in the unique character that high quality analog sources would imbue onto it.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

dogman91 wrote:...this seems really pointless IMO, as the game soundtracks themselves are from a digital source.

Anapan wrote:I'm kinda wondering about the whole digital -> analog dealy, like what's the point?

Are you guys saying that if it doesn't sound BETTER on vinyl then what's the point? Because THAT'S not the point. Of course it's not gonna sound any better on vinyl. If that's all you're interested in, then move along. There's other reasons for collecting and listening to vinyls, look at the people that collect and watch Laser Disc.

Anapan wrote:If you remaster it you're filtering it which means you lose the original bit-perfect audio in trade for resampled fake higher fidelity it never had.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_mastering

"Mastering, a form of audio post-production, is the process of preparing and transferring recorded audio from a source containing the final mix to a data storage device (the master); the source from which all copies will be produced (via methods such as pressing, duplication or replication)."

All "mastering" means is taking the source material and preparing it for a medium (CD, cassette tape, vinyl, whatever). REmastering is a misunderstood term. It simply means they went back to the original source to master it for a new medium. So if something was already mastered for vinyl and cassette tape, it would have to be REmastered for CD. It doesn't necessarily mean you're filtering it, or adding fake high fidelity.