And so it begins, Disney closes LucasArts

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
fastbilly1
Site Admin

And so it begins, Disney closes LucasArts

Post by fastbilly1 »

Star Wars games will be continued, but no mention of any of their other series.
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/arch ... sarts.aspx
bmoc
Next-Gen

Re: And so it begins, Disney closes LucasArts

Post by bmoc »

This doesn't bother me as much as it should. I don't think I have looked forward to a LucasArts game since Shadows of the Empire.
wip3outguy7
Next-Gen

Post by wip3outguy7 »

Definitely not surprised. I wish them the best.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

bmoc wrote:This doesn't bother me as much as it should. I don't think I have looked forward to a LucasArts game since Shadows of the Empire.

They had excellent WWII flight sims in the early and mid 2000s
Duane Dibbley
128-bit

Post by Duane Dibbley »

Your link didn't quite make it inside the BBCode.

LucasArts made some great games in the '90s and early 2000s, but I haven't played any since then (aside from the LEGO games). Still, it's sad to see another once-great game company fall by the wayside.
My games for sale: Racketboy, Amazon, eBay
My systems: NES, Nintendo 64, GameCube (Game Boy Player), Wii / Game & Watch: Ball, Game Boy Advance, Game Boy Advance SP (x2), Nintendo DSi / Genesis (Sega CD, 32X), Saturn / Game Gear / PlayStation, PlayStation 2 / Xbox / Mac (Windows PC) / iPhone, iPad
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Somebody on GOG described how I feel about this in better words than I could have come up with:

RaggieRags wrote:Man. I feel like a friend just died.

Sure, a friend I fell out of touch years ago because he became kind of a douchebag and we had nothing in common anymore, but we had our time.

The last LucasArts game turned out to be Kinect Star Wars. That's just so... tragic
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

J T wrote:Sure, a friend I fell out of touch years ago because he became kind of a douchebag and we had nothing in common anymore, but we had our time.

This sounds like half the posts in the Smile/Frown thread from Luke.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Retrodude
128-bit

Post by Retrodude »

Even if they hadn't closed, this was gonna be Marvel all over again (and LucasFilm proper still will be, I'm certain). Anything they did that was good, LucasArts would get the credit. Anything they did that was bad, Disney would get the blame. I think Disney foresaw this and it might have factored into their decision to just take the criticism now and get it over with.
I'm not a glitch, I just have pixlexia.

Raiiban wrote:That's a moral dilemma. Capitalism has no morals.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Retrodude wrote:Even if they hadn't closed, this was gonna be Marvel all over again (and LucasFilm proper still will be, I'm certain). Anything they did that was good, LucasArts would get the credit. Anything they did that was bad, Disney would get the blame. I think Disney foresaw this and it might have factored into their decision to just take the criticism now and get it over with.

I disagree. Disney doesn't really care about criticism. Instead they most likely felt that LucasArts could only operate with a deficit, so they are closing it. Disney operates purely around profit, and that is all. That, and cannibalism.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Besides all the popular series we knew and loved, let's not forget games like Zombies Ate My Neighbors, Metal Warriors, and who knows what other console classics people may not be aware of!
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.