Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
Anapan
Next-Gen

Trip World DX for GBC physical release

by Anapan Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:31 pm

https://limitedrungames.com/collections ... rld-dx-gbc
The original is getting a physical re-release as well as ports of the DX version for Switch, PS4&5 and PC.
It's being produced in collaboration with Sunsoft and original Trip World director and producer Yuichi Ueda.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Note
Next-Gen

Re: Trip World DX for GBC physical release

by Note Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:38 pm

Great to see this game being released again! Think I might go for the original version, as opposed to the DX, but cool to see it being updated as well.
Vetus
8-bit

by Vetus Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:31 am

Great news. Still I won't give my money to such an awful company like Limited Run Games. I'll wait for rom release of the GBC version. Seriously, do these assholes have the monopoly or something at retail releases of games for retro consoles and for indie games?
marurun

by marurun Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:59 pm

What precisely makes them an awful company? I know some folks chafe at limited physical releases, but that does not an awful company make.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:30 pm

I think the gist of it is: it would be cool if there was a publisher rereleasing retro games that actually released them in "less limited" qualities and wasn't embedded in hoarding / reselling / YouTube unboxing culture. Yes, Limited Run isn't bad, it's certainly better than nothing, but it's kind of a tacky look. Thankfully all this stuff is just available digitally as well.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:08 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I think the gist of it is: it would be cool if there was a publisher rereleasing retro games that actually released them in "less limited" qualities and wasn't embedded in hoarding / reselling / YouTube unboxing culture. Yes, Limited Run isn't bad, it's certainly better than nothing, but it's kind of a tacky look. Thankfully all this stuff is just available digitally as well.

I thought they were doing that now?
Michi
Next-Gen

by Michi Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:20 pm

They are, for the most part.

I'd say around 90+% of the games LRG produces these days are all pre-orders now, Trip World included. The only exception I've seen recently has been when they release a game simultaneously on the PS4 and PS5, and the PS4 version will be limited, while the PS5 version is not. Occasionally, some of their more "special editions" or items, like the Doom helmets, will also be limited, but for the most part all their games are "made to order" now.
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Sun Apr 30, 2023 4:47 am

Most games are not made for noble reasons - they are made to profit from consumers. Unfortunately, retro games - especially re-releases are mostly a niche market, and the process has been streamlined by LRG to target overpricing small batches for this market. I don't like their marketing strategy, but I think in many cases - this included that without the partnership they contracted this would not be possible. I never thought I'd be able to own a physical cart of this one holy-grail DMG game, but here it is. No salt from me on the price; Soon it will be mine - officially even!
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Note
Next-Gen

by Note Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:28 am

With the pre order window for this game closing over the weekend, I ended up going with the regular GameBoy version, as opposed to the DX.

Did anyone else end up ordering it? If so, what version did you go for?
Michi
Next-Gen

by Michi Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:59 pm

I was weak and ended up buying two copies: the DX version for the Switch, and the original GB version. I kept waffling between the two, because I was being horribly indecisive, before finally saying, "Screw it. Por qué no los dos, it is!" :lol:
Return to Old-School Gaming News