Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
bmoc
Next-Gen

Re: PS3, PSP, PS Vita: The (digital) End is Nigh!

by bmoc Mon May 03, 2021 11:37 am

Nice list. Gravity Rush is really great. I have the PS4 remaster. It did get a physical release but it was an Amazon exclusive in NA and kind of pricey now. I bought an Australian copy on eBay a while back.

I looked at a variety of sources when picking out what I bought on the PSN. I was just concerned with PS3 and I could not find a definitive list of digital-only titles. There were two Reddit posts that helped me out a lot.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS3/comments/m ... c_updated/\
https://www.reddit.com/r/PS3/comments/6 ... ames_list/

Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection is one that I also need to get eventually. There is a physical PSP version but the PS3 version is digital-only in NA and widely considered the best version of Tekken 5.
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Tue May 04, 2021 9:41 pm

So Sony is still closing down the PSP digital store, but has decided because of the negative response to postpone the closing of the PS3 and PS Vita stores. I'm guessing because of the news, all of a sudden these stores are making a lot more money, and as a result it's worth their while to keep them open again. Whatever the real reason, this is good news...
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Wed May 05, 2021 3:32 pm

It was a slow day at work so I decided to throw a spreadsheet together of PS3 exclusives and notable PSN titles. I used https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category: ... only_games as the basis for PS3 exclusives. I've removed unreleased games and games that got ports on other systems such as the Uncharted Series. For games such as Demon's Souls that got substantial remakes, I left those in. It still needs a lot of work but I thought I would go ahead and share to get some input.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

I've added a few filter views but you can create temporary ones as well by clicking on the Filter button next to the printer icon in the top left corner. I'll also take suggestions for other filter views.

To-do list:
-Verify list with other sources besides Wikipedia
-Check which ones are still available to buy on the PSN store in North America.
-Fill out the notable PSN titles tab (I've barely started on this one)
Last edited by bmoc on Wed May 12, 2021 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Thu May 06, 2021 11:16 am

That Wikipedia article for PS3 exclusives wasn't even close. There are a lot of JP only games that were missing. I'm still working on the full list but I think I may be close now. So many otome games....

I'm probably going to rework the notable PSN games tab to be notable PS3 North American titles and just include a filter for PSN availability. There are a lot of good ones that are disc only that may have a port here or there on other systems and/or regions other than North America.
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Fri May 07, 2021 9:14 pm

So I got frustrated at the search feature on the PS3 PSN because they don't accurately tag PSOne games in a lot of cases. Most especially the PS1 imports. I've added a list of PS1 imports on the PS3 store to my spreadsheet along with descriptions. If I am missing anything please let me know. I should have all the Monkeypaw and GungHo ported games but I am sure there are other companies that ported import titles. A few games were drastically renamed from the Japanese title (which I included in the description for those).
Return to Old-School Gaming News