What Techniques Have You Found Helpful in Samurai Shodown?

Join in on our classic gaming club!
marurun

Post by marurun »

If you play Charlotte, learn to use her quicker poke attacks. You can usually preempt an attack from almost any other character. Approach and poke as soon as you are in range. If they try to attack when you do you will beat them because your poke is faster. If they jump your poke is fast enough you can follow with that green dragon-punch style attack.

In you're Hanzo, learn to love his crouching strong attack. It's a little slow, but if you hit on counter your opponent will suffer badly. His crouching strong slash is stronger than Galford's.

In general, learn to use your kicks. Kicks are not second class attacks. They are fast and give you a good lead in to stronger attacks. With Haomaru, for example, jump in and do a kick right before you hit the ground. If it connects you will likely also be able to connect with a very close range standing strong slash.

If you play Wan-Fu, use your leaping attacks well. Leap and throw your sword. Learn which button does which variation. If you get good at it you can often land your sword right behind your opponent and hit them even if they try to block. But then you have to learn to use your punches and kicks well in order to get your sword back.

With Nakoruru it's all about the mix-up. Keep your enemy guessing. I've seen people successfully hop up on the bird, fly around a bit, and then immediately drop to the ground and do a low sword dash. They could just as well have dived from the bird, though. Use that ambiguity to get ahead.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.