Ristar: Together Retro Discussion

Join in on our classic gaming club!
videogamerretro

Post by videogamerretro »

I decided to give this one a whirl on my DS too. Got jEnesis DS V0.7, loaded it on to the DS and the game worked like a charm. Graphics, sound, control, everything seems good. Granted I only played the first level, but I was impressed with the results. Save states are simple to use with jEnesis also (the upper screen is game play, the touch screen is game information and save states). One slight annoyance is the fact it does not display the full screen. You have to use the left and right top buttons to move the screen back and forth, which can be tedious. Then again there maybe a setting to change that (I haven't checked out all the settings for the application). This seems to be another viable option for gameplay however.
ncd

Post by ncd »

Well, I finally got around to playing this.

First response. pretty good. It's a very colorful platformer and has an intuitive style of playing.
Although, I found it a bit too intuitive at first. With just two buttons to control it's pretty neat, but it some of the moves are a bit frustrating to do (like the spinning around the bar and releasing at the right time - could never get it right). What really comes to mind when I play this is Kirby (the first one). It's got a lot of the same appeal.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

Been busy with other stuff lately, but now I fired this up in Fusion and beat 2 worlds. Pretty fun game still. Hope to finish it.
Rababunny

Post by Rababunny »

The bosses are by far the highlight of this game (My favorite being the mole boss of the 3rd world, although all of them have their moments.)

The levels got very annoying after the 4th, felt like there were many cheap deaths and repeated mechanics. Automaton made me want to rip my hair out with its anti-gravity sections.

If this game had one other interaction aside from grabbing and letting go of things it could have had real potential. Some sort of star dash or something would have been neat.
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

After finishing, I have to say I like it a lot. It didn't feel too repetitive for me, although I can certainly see where those complaints are coming from.

As an indication of my good opinion of the game, I intend to take another go at it in KEGA, so I can hear the sound and music, try to get all the treasures, and tackle the hard mode. But that will have to wait a bit.

Ivo.