NEW RB Server - Forum Upgrade - Some WIP

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
racketboy
Site Admin

Re: NEW RB Server - Forum Upgrade - Some WIP

Post by racketboy »

Note wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:27 pm Just want to say thank you to Nick for getting the forums back up! Appreciate all the work it took to get things going again.

I really miss the custom look of the forum though! Hopefully we can get something similar when the time comes to make cosmetic changes. Also, not sure I can get used to the avatar and user info being on the right side. Just doesn't feel right to me. Lol.
Same here -- that's one of my next major tasks.
The developers I've contacted haven't been especially responsive, so I might see if I can figure out a solution myself.
Another good learning experience!
This whole ordeal is going to force me to brush up on my tech stuff as I reach my mid-40s :)
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Seems the report button is now broken. I tried on the current spam post and on a couple others to no avail.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

o.pwuaioc wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:27 am Seems the report button is now broken. I tried on the current spam post and on a couple others to no avail.
Oh interesting -- I will investigate.
Thanks for letting me know!
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Is there a way to check out new replies to post I am involved in? There was a button that shows that.

How does a database crash happen? I have been here for over a decade never happened before. Thanks Racketboy for the effort!
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

You can subscribe to topics, that will notify you any time there are replies to that topic. Or, under the current prosilver skins, you can click on Quick Links (top left) and click "your posts," that will show you any threads that you've made posts in. Additionally, on the top right there is "notifications." Am I imagining things, or did the old phpbb / RB skin not have this? If it did, I never noticed it before. Anyway, notifications will show you if someone quoted you and probably some other things. IIRC there might be some options for it in your user control panel.

Yeah, I'm not sure if notifications was always there in the old phpbb. But if it's something new to this new version, can we make sure it stays present in the custom skin? It's extremely useful.

Also, does tagging work?

Testing... @racketboy

I know on other forums, you can tag a username and that person will get a notification that someone tagged you, with a link to that post.

edit: Tagging doesn't seem to work. At least, not in the usual @username kind of way. And I see no mention of tagging in the options for notifications.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Ziggy wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:34 pm You can subscribe to topics, that will notify you any time there are replies to that topic. Or, under the current prosilver skins, you can click on Quick Links (top left) and click "your posts," that will show you any threads that you've made posts in. Additionally, on the top right there is "notifications." Am I imagining things, or did the old phpbb / RB skin not have this? If it did, I never noticed it before. Anyway, notifications will show you if someone quoted you and probably some other things. IIRC there might be some options for it in your user control panel.

Yeah, I'm not sure if notifications was always there in the old phpbb. But if it's something new to this new version, can we make sure it stays present in the custom skin? It's extremely useful.

Also, does tagging work?

Testing... @racketboy

I know on other forums, you can tag a username and that person will get a notification that someone tagged you, with a link to that post.

edit: Tagging doesn't seem to work. At least, not in the usual @username kind of way. And I see no mention of tagging in the options for notifications.
The notifications are definitely new. Well, new to RB. Pretty sure they've been a part of the software package for a while. Definitely useful when someone replies to a comment you might have made a while ago.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Notifications are a new feature in phpbb 3.2/3.3
https://www.phpbb.com/about/launch/

I don't think that tagging works though...

I did like getting email notifications for subscribed threads -- does it seem like that's not an option anymore?
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Email notifications for subscribed threads are still an option.

If you click notifications on the top-right, then click settings, you can see everything that you can possible get on-site and/or email notifications for.

Personally, I really like the way the new notifications work. My vote would be to keep that integrated in the custom skin (because obviously the custom skin for the old forum didn't have that).

Also, I don't know if there's a plugin or something to add tagging, but it is a pretty useful function to have. For example, if I quote someone, they will get a notification. But say there's a new thread that I think a particular person would have good input or whatever, I can tag them and they will get a notification for it. Otherwise they could miss that thread.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

OK -- I agree the new notifications are nice, but I would like emails for certain things as well.
And I'll look into the tagging.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Ziggy wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:34 pm You can subscribe to topics, that will notify you any time there are replies to that topic. Or, under the current prosilver skins, you can click on Quick Links (top left) and click "your posts," that will show you any threads that you've made posts in. Additionally, on the top right there is "notifications." Am I imagining things, or did the old phpbb / RB skin not have this? If it did, I never noticed it before. Anyway, notifications will show you if someone quoted you and probably some other things. IIRC there might be some options for it in your user control panel.

Also, does tagging work?

Testing... @racketboy

thanks ziggy! the Quicks Links->Your Posts is the exact thing I was looking for