Console of the Month (May 2023) - Playstation 3

Join in on our classic gaming club!
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Console of the Month (May 2023) - Playstation 3

Post by alienjesus »

It's time for another fashionably late console of the month thread. This month we're taking a look at the Playstation 3, everyone's favourite 600 dollar George Foreman grill.

The PS3 came out in 2006 in Japan and North America, and 2007 in Europe, and struggled in sales numbers during it's first few years compared to other Playstation home consoles. Despite this, it received a library of interesting exclusive games and sold a solid 87.4 million units before being discontinued.

Lets discuss Sony's big complicated 7th gen console this month!
RobertAugustdeMeijer
24-bit

Re: Console of the Month (May 2023) - Playstation 3

Post by RobertAugustdeMeijer »

The first game I cared about for this console was Demon's Souls, but I still didn't think that covered the total price tag. So I didn't get one until 2012 with the release of Journey.

In 2010 I bought a laptop with a pretty good 3D card for 400 euros. It ran Deus Ex 3, Dishonored, BioShock, Skyrim, Fallout, Mass Effect, etc. better than on the PlayStation 3, so I hardly played the console.

Everything else seemed to run better on Xbox 360: Bayonetta, Red Dead Redemption, Batman...
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Anyone else remember the old memes that followed the PS3's release?

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/ps3-has-no-games
Ack

Post by Ack »

But is it backwards compatible?
marurun

Post by marurun »

It was backward compatible, until it wasn't.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Final PlayStation console I own.

I like it. It still feels very futuristic to me.

Sad thing is, I saved up money and bought it because I wanted to play............. Final Fantasy XIII. :oops:
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Oof…

I bought the console for 3D Dot Game Heroes and Demon’s Souls. Both of those games remained PS3 exclusives for a looooooong time, and they’re both awesome.

I later grabbed a ton of games for it, of course, since I didn’t have an Xbox 360 for quite some time, and I still prefer the PS3 to the 360. (I’m weird that way, I guess.) A few other great exclusives I really enjoyed are:

Little Big Planet
Little Big Planet 2
Puppeteer
Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction

I also played through Uncharted, but I thought it was just OK. I should probably try the sequels sometime since, I have heard, they are much better. I also still need to get to MGSIV someday since it was also a PS3 selling point for me.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Final PlayStation console I own.

I like it. It still feels very futuristic to me.

Same. I picked up the console last year and my Wishlist for the console has ballooned to a giant amount. Also, it is so easy to pick up games for the PS3 because the library is so inexpensive. You can still get incredibly good games for less than $10. It's crazy.

Yeah, the console feels the most modern that I own and still a blast to play. Many franchises from the PS2 era made the jump to the PS3, so there is a strong base of games available to play. I'm not a big fan of the modern touches like wireless controllers, DLC, and the loss of memory cards. But, you can still bypass all of that and still enjoy it as an off-line gaming console that plays games.

If you ever wanted to get into the console, now would be a good time before people start getting nostalgic for it.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Sad thing is, I saved up money and bought it because I wanted to play............. Final Fantasy XIII. :oops:

Same here. I didn't even have an HDTV at the time. I probably did some serious damage to my eyes trying to play that on a CRT.

I recall having a tough time finding a PS3 around that time. FFXIII and God of War III releasing around the same time caused a rush on PS3 stock. I originally got a good deal on a backwards compatible model on eBay but it got lost in the mail. I felt so bad for the seller. I ended up settling for a slim 120GB model. It was probably for the best because they had less issues than the fat models and it is still going strong today.

prfsnl_gmr wrote:A few other great exclusives I really enjoyed are:

Little Big Planet
Little Big Planet 2
Puppeteer
Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction

Puppeteer is fantastic. Definitely one of my favorite titles on the system. Valkyria Chronicles and Ni No Kuni are some of my favorites as well though they are no longer exclusive. I really need to start working on some of those digital exclusives that I bought back when Sony threatened to shut the store down.

I made a spreadsheet of exclusives back when that happened. I haven't updated it since so there are bound to be some inaccuracies. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Syndicate
32-bit

Post by Syndicate »

...I was never really crazy about the PS3, I didn't get one until around 2012/2013 when it was offered as a gift from the company I was working for at the time. Having spent most of this gen on the 360, my PS3 library is relatively small. The first game I did grab though was 3D Dot Game Heroes. Over time I picked up the God of War Saga, Dragon's Crown, Ni No Kuni plus a few others and just last year I was able to find a new copy of Puppeteer. I honestly never spent a lot of time w/the PS3, so there's still a lot of the library left for me to explore.
Last edited by Syndicate on Sun May 21, 2023 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.