Console of the Month (Jan 2023): NES

Join in on our classic gaming club!
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Console of the Month (Jan 2023): NES

Post by alienjesus »

It's the start of a new year, and this time on Console of the Month we're going to look at a system that for many people started their love of gaming - the Nintendo Entertainment System (and of course it's Japanese counterpart, the Famicom)!

Released in 1983 in Japan and competing directly against Sega's SG1000 and later Master System Consoles, the Famicom proved to be super popular and was released stateside in 1985 under a new name and design to help combat issues from the video game crash that had happened in that market. It was released in Europe and other markets from 1986 onwards via a number of different distributors resulting in a situation where there are 2 regions of PAL cart region locking - PAL A carts in the UK, Italy and Australia, and PAL B carts in the rest of Europe.

The NES and Famicom sold around 62 millions units and was the birthplace of some of gamings most iconic and popular franchises. It had a whole host of interesting and unique peripherals, including the NES Zapper, ROB the robot and the Power Glove, which was so bad.

Let's talk about Nintendo's first foray into the home console market this month! When did you first play NES? What are your favourite games on the system? Show off your collections, play through some of your favourites and review them here too!

Edit from racketboy:
Some NES guides to browse, if interested
NES Beginner's Guide: https://www.racketboy.com/retro/nintend ... ners-guide
Games That Defined the NES: https://www.racketboy.com/retro/top-nin ... st-defined
Classic Hidden Gems: https://www.racketboy.com/retro/best-un ... -nes-games
Games That Pushed the NES to its Limits: https://www.racketboy.com/retro/best-nes-graphics-sound
Rarest & Most Valuable NES : https://www.racketboy.com/retro/the-rar ... -nes-games
Ziggy

Re: Console of the Month (Jan 2023): NES

Post by Ziggy »

That's funny the NES is this month's console, because I was just getting a hankering to play it!

I have a somewhat weird history with the NES because I sorta grew up with it but I sorta didn't. I don't consider myself to be a "NES kid" because I didn't own a NES before the SNES was released, although I have owned a NES since a young age. I grew up as the youngest in my family, I had older siblings and even older cousins. So although I was born in the late 80's, I really didn't miss out on 80's stuff since I had a lot of hand-me-down stuff. A few of my cousins had a NES, so I had exposure to it at a young age. My first console of my very own though was a SNES. And although I fully enjoyed playing my SNES, I took every chance I could get to play a NES when I was over someone's house. Particularly the Mario games. I had Super Mario World on the SNES, and I always wanted to play the first three on the NES whenever I got the chance. I can remember having a friend that lived a few houses down. They had a NES and Genesis, and I would love to play Mario 3 whenever I could.

So some years after getting a SNES, I wanted to get my own NES. Funco Land, which was a video game buy and sell chain, advertised a NES bundle. They basically recreated the Action Set, which was the console with Mario/Duck Hunt, two controllers and a Zapper. Making hard choices of some games to trade and scraping together whatever money I could, I asked my mother to take me to Funco Land so I could purchase a NES with the three Mario games. And I was DENIED! Ouch, classic Mom-block! She told me getting a NES would be like going backwards. Why would I want to get old tech? I should get new tech instead. Obviously I'm the kind of person that likes tech of all ages, and I even did at that young age. But being a dumb kid, I guess I couldn't articulate an argument to convince my Mom. So the compromise would be that I get Super Mario All Stars for the SNES, which was about the same price as a NES with the three Mario games anyway. And that's what I did, I got Super Mario All Stars. And I really don't regret it, I still have that exact cart to this day. It has been one of my favorite SNES carts since I got it, and remains so. I have many fond memories of playing it. But I still wanted an actual NES.

So I did a classic kid move. When Mom says no, ask Dad! Some time had passed since I got Mario All Stars, and I still wanted an actual NES, so one day I asked my Dad to take me to Funco Land so I could get one. It's not like my Mom forbade me to get a NES, she just didn't see the point in it. So I finally got a ride down to Funco Land (it wasn't especially close), and was able to get enough money together from trades and whatever I could get from doing chores and whatnot, and I got that Action Set along with Mario 2 and 3. I'm pretty sure that's all of the games I purchased initially with the console. But something awesome happened. As I was checking out, there was another dude there trading in his (or his kid's) old NES games. For whatever reason, Funco Land would not accept his copy of Kirby's Adventure and T&C Surf Designs (I think they would do this if they had too many copies in stock). He saw that I was buying a NES, and offered them to me as he had nothing else to do with them at that point. Well, one of those turned out to be a great game (LOL which one?). Actually, Kirby's Adventure turned out to be one of my favorites for the NES.

And that's why I have sort of a weird history with the NES, because I didn't own one in its heyday. I didn't get to explore the NES library the same way. Rentals, playing games over someone's house, word of mouth recommendation from kids at school, current published magazines with game reviews, etc. So my NES library remained very small for many years. There were some titles that were obvious to me, and those were pretty much the only ones I would get. Like Zelda, obviously. And Casltevania IV was one of my favorite SNES games, so I naturally got the first three. And I liked Turtles in Time, so I got the three TMNT NES games (the first one was a whopping 99 cents at Funco Land). Oh, and Tetris, of course. But that was about it for a while. Maybe I tried some other games from Funco Land, but nothing that I can remember.

Then in the early 2000's, I discovered eBay. Which at that time was an amazing place for old games. This was before you had professional sellers on there, it was just people in their homes selling their own used junk. This was the golden age of eBay. And it's when I was finally able to start collecting more. Also at this time, it became much easier to find sites for game recommendations. So I finally was able to dive deeper into the NES library. And to be honest, I feel like I never really explored the depths of the NES. I'm sure there's a lot of great games that I've yet to try.

My main NES is a stock toaster, although I do also own a Famicom. I have the NESRGB kit for the toaster, but I haven't gotten around to installing it. Maybe I'll finally do it for this month. Most of my retro gaming has been on a Sony PVM in recent years, so it would be nice to finally get RGB output from the NES.

I had a somewhat decent-ish NES collection, but in 2020 I decided to sell a good chunk of them. I kept all the ones that I really care about, and everything else can be played on my PowerPak or N8. So in my mind, I still have a great NES collection. It's just quality over quantity at this point.

Here is my NES game list, before I started to downsize:
Air Fortress
Amagon
Arkanoid
Base Wars
Batman
Captain Skyhawk
Castlevania
Castlevania II: Simon's Quest
Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse
Circus Caper
Donkey Kong Classics
Donkey Kong Classics
Double Dribble
Dr. Mario
Dragon Spirit
Dragon Warrior
Dragon Warrior II
Duck Hunt
Excitebike
Excitebike
Final Fantasy
Friday the 13th
Guardian Legend, The
Gyromite
Gyromite (with adapter)
Heavy Shreddin'
Hogan's Alley
Ice Climber
Jaws
Jurassic Park
Karate Champ
Kirby's Adventure
Kung-Fu Heroes
Legacy of the Wizard
Legend of Zelda, The
Major League Baseball
Mario Bros.
Mega Man
Mega Man 2
Mega Man 3
Mega Man 4
Mega Man 5
Mega Man 6
Mickey Mousecapade
Milon's Secret Castle
Milon's Secret Castle
Ninja Gaiden
Ninja Kid
Pac-Man
Paperboy
Q*bert
Star Voyager
Super C
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. / Duck Hunt
Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario Bros. 3
Superman
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: The Manhattan Project
Terminator 2: Judgment Day
Tetris
Tetris (Tengen)
The Goonies II
The Last Starfighter
Tiger Heli
Time Lord
Town & Country Surf Designs: Wood & Water Rage
Where's Waldo?
Wild Gunman
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

And here's the list of what I decided to keep (although I still have some from above, I just forget what I have yet to sell):
Arkanoid
Castlevania
Castlevania II: Simon's Quest
Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse
Heavy Shreddin'
Kirby's Adventure
Legend of Zelda, The
Ninja Gaiden
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. / Duck Hunt
Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario Bros. 3
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: The Manhattan Project
Terminator 2: Judgment Day
Tetris
Town & Country Surf Designs: Wood & Water Rage

T&C Surf Designs really isn't that great of a game, but it was a keeper for me because of how I obtained it.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I sort of have a grew up with the NES but didn't grow up with the NES story not TOO dissimilar from Ziggy's. When the NES first came out our household had an Atari 2600, a ColecoVision, and an Apple \\c. I had friends who all got NES systems, but not me. Whenever I would go to a friend's house they would have an NES and I would get as much face time with their machine as I could, and there was also lots of game renting. When the SNES first debuted I only knew a couple friends who got one, and about that time was when I bought my TG-16. But shortly after one friend gave me his NES because I often wanted to play when I visited him and he only had eyes for his new SNES. So in a way, I got to play a lot of NES, a lot of SNES, and a lot of TG-16. But I only ever visited one friend who had a Genesis. Not sure why but it just wasn't popular in my crowd.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

The NES is my favorite console. I have a stack of them I got for cheap or free back when nobody else wanted them. I think I posted this before, but my "daily driver" is actually one I found in a gutter when I was out on a run in the late nineties.

My family got our first NES on Christmas of 1992. I call it "first," but I want to be clear that I still have it and it still works.

My brothers eventually got newer consoles, playing SNES and Nintendo 64, but I just stick with the NES. If I stuck with the NES, I didn't have to worry too much about sharing. Games were cheap. I built most of my collection in the late nineties and early 2000s when people thought NES games were worthless. I got Dragon Warrior III complete in box and unopened in 1996 or 1997 for $4 when a local drug store was getting out of the video and game rental business.

I remember reading visiting NES World and TSR's NES Archive daily for several years starting in 1996 when we got our first PC and had dial-up internet access, excited any time they posted an update. Amazingly, NES World is still around, though now rarely updated, and all updates are Nintendo 64-related.

I really appreciated the increased depth and scope that the NES provided compared to earlier consoles. Games really felt like worlds to explore rather than the single-screen simple arcade-style shooters so common on the Atari VCS. Of course there were exceptions on the 2600, like Pitfall II and Adventure, but these were uncommon. I really dug the exploration aspect of NES adventures. I remember the first time we rented The Legend of Zelda and someone had left a fully-powered save game. I loaded that game and just wandered around the overworld map, scared to venture into any labyrinth but amazed by the world.

To be clear, there were computer games with much more depth than any NES game by the time the NES came to our shores. Ultima IV came out in 1985, for example, but I largely unaware of computer gaming.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
marurun

Post by marurun »

What's funny about that added depth and scope the NES offered is that it wasn't until the FDS and mapper chips that the system really did much of that. The hardware as designed was intended merely to be able to provide a serviceable Donkey Kong adaptation to the home. And then mapper chips happened in the wake of the Famicom Disk System and the rest is history.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Here's one game I recently found out about...

Fire n Ice. The only reason I know about it is because I saw it on the Switch Virtual Console (or whatever it's called on Switch) and decided to try it. I know it's on Racket's rare and valuable guide, but it's only on one of those "additional" lists. Anyway, it's a really fun and addicting puzzle game. Too bad it's way to expensive to ever own a copy of.

Limewater wrote:I remember the first time we rented The Legend of Zelda and someone had left a fully-powered save game. I loaded that game and just wandered around the overworld map, scared to venture into any labyrinth but amazed by the world.

When I got my first NES, I got Zelda not long after. Of course, I got it used, without the manual or map. I played the game for many hours, but had no real progression in it. Sure, I was able to find the first dungeon, maybe even a few others, but I mostly just roamed around Hyrule. I didn't realize that I could look up a FAQ on the Internet at the time, so that's all I could really do.

marurun wrote:What's funny about that added depth and scope the NES offered is that it wasn't until the FDS and mapper chips that the system really did much of that. The hardware as designed was intended merely to be able to provide a serviceable Donkey Kong adaptation to the home. And then mapper chips happened in the wake of the Famicom Disk System and the rest is history.

Yes, it's really something how the NES started and how it ended. You look at early games, a lot of single screen games. And the ones that weren't single screen were still fairly simple games. Then you look at games like Mario 3, Kirby's Adventure and Castlevania III... It's like a totally different system!
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

I had a chance to buy Fire N Ice at a pawn shop in 1993 or '94 or so for $10 or $15. I didn't know anything about it, but liked the title. I think my brothers and I were going in together on a game, and I got overruled so we got Toxic Crusaders instead.

In case anyone is wondering, Toxic Crusaders is not a hidden gem.

The progression of games on the NES is pretty wild, but I do want to give some credit to the Atari VCS/2600. That system was literally designed to just play Combat and Pong variants. To the point where the system could only handle 5 hardware sprites, and they were just named "Player 1", "Player 1 missile," "Player 2", "Player 2 missile," and "ball." In Adventure, you're a small square because you're the "ball" sprite.

Knowing those limitations, it's really amazing what they were able to pull off.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
marurun

Post by marurun »

Ziggy587 wrote:Yes, it's really something how the NES started and how it ended. You look at early games, a lot of single screen games. And the ones that weren't single screen were still fairly simple games. Then you look at games like Mario 3, Kirby's Adventure and Castlevania III... It's like a totally different system!

That's because it is! Those mappers added so many capabilities it's like there's a metaphorical 32X in every cartridge!
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I think it's even more impressive than a 32X though. The 32X used additional CPUs and RAM, even SNES enhancement chips used co-processors and more RAM. Some NES mappers add RAM, and you have cases like Konami's VRC-6 adding extra sound channels, but more often than not a NES cart mapper is simply a memory mapper. It uses the same CPU and PPU found inside the NES, just in new ways that weren't originally intended. They don't add any actual computational power, like an additional processor would. Mostly just bank switching and interrupts. Which is why I think it's more impressive.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Ziggy587 wrote:I think it's even more impressive than a 32X though. The 32X used additional CPUs and RAM, even SNES enhancement chips used co-processors and more RAM. Some NES mappers add RAM, and you have cases like Konami's VRC-6 adding extra sound channels, but more often than not a NES cart mapper is simply a memory mapper. It uses the same CPU and PPU found inside the NES, just in new ways that weren't originally intended. They don't add any actual computational power, like an additional processor would. Mostly just bank switching and interrupts. Which is why I think it's more impressive.

Those interrupts are actually key. Want to scroll smoothly in more than one direction at once? You need a mapper. Want to have a static status bar above or below the scrolling field? You need a mapper. Want animated tiles? You need a mapper. Even those rudimentary capabilities required mappers to implement. But you're right, of course, some mappers were simply additional CHR banks. Still, the point is, the NES with a mapper is quite a different beast from a stock NES, and often in varied and interesting ways.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile