Console of the Month (December 2022) - Sony PlayStation

Join in on our classic gaming club!
Markies
Next-Gen

Re: Console of the Month (December 2022) - Sony PlayStation

Post by Markies »

Also, I think it depends on the genres.

For example, the PS1 had many Horror and RPG's on the system. Those are the ones that have shot up in value mostly based on their fan bases. Many of them were small print runs in the first place and the people that own those types of games are not willing to sell them as easily.

But, yes, I can imagine for "new" people getting into the PS1, the graphics are a huge hurdle. Any 2D game has probably aged a bit better and made it easier to get into.
marurun

Post by marurun »

The PS1 and Saturn came out my senior year of high school, and in the student center they cleared out the arcade machines and put in two TVs with a Saturn and a PS1. We got to appreciate the opening titles side-by-side. The PS1 was more popular and I really enjoyed Warhawk, Twisted Metal, and Ridge Racer (but VF was definitely mechanically superior to Toshinden and Tekken). In fact, I think Warhawk was sort of a hidden gem despite reviewing well.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

marurun wrote:In fact, I think Warhawk was sort of a hidden gem despite reviewing well.

Agreed. Warhawk is awesome. I love that they made it the final boss in Twisted Metal Black. Such a cool callback.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I just recieved a new (to me) PS1 game as a birthday present this month - Jumping Flash! I'm looking forward to giving it a go. Anyone have much experience with this one?
TheSSNintendo
128-bit

Post by TheSSNintendo »

My cousin had a PSOne, and anytime we came over he was playing either Final Fantasy VII or Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Pretty sure that led to my brother buying a Playstation for his birthday in the summer of '98, along with FFVII. My first game was WWF Warzone. Got some pretty good use, especially with the create-a-wrestler mode.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

alienjesus wrote:I just recieved a new (to me) PS1 game as a birthday present this month - Jumping Flash! I'm looking forward to giving it a go. Anyone have much experience with this one?

I played the hell out of the Jumping Flash demo that came with my PS1. I really enjoyed it back in the day. It was one of better 3d platformers prior to Mario 64. I've been on the lookout for a copy recently and my local game store has a sealed copy for a very reasonable price. I haven't snatched it up because it has a fair amount of sun damage.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

bmoc wrote:
alienjesus wrote:I just recieved a new (to me) PS1 game as a birthday present this month - Jumping Flash! I'm looking forward to giving it a go. Anyone have much experience with this one?

I played the hell out of the Jumping Flash demo that came with my PS1. I really enjoyed it back in the day. It was one of better 3d platformers prior to Mario 64. I've been on the lookout for a copy recently and my local game store has a sealed copy for a very reasonable price. I haven't snatched it up because it has a fair amount of sun damage.

I miss the real demos. I got to quickly know which game was good and which was bad by demoing them. I remember playing both MGS VR Missions followed by Mortal Kombat Mythologies... Can you guess which one I went on to own? :lol:
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Jumping Flash! is great, and the sequel is even better. (Strangely, the third game is not that great.) The controls are antiquated (remember…the original PS1 controller features only a d-pad), and the graphics are blocky. It’s just so wacky, though, and features some great first-person platforming mechanics. There still aren’t many games like it, and I hope you enjoy it.
Syndicate
32-bit

Post by Syndicate »

...so this is a console of the month I've been thinking about for a while and really been meaning to get back to. During the 5th gen console race I was a broke-ish college student and still had one foot in the console wars :lol:. So when the time came for to me buy something, picking up a Saturn was a no brainer for me as a Sega fan. However, the PSX always had a bunch of stuff that I really wanted to check out. Thankfully all of my friends and associates in college all had Playstations, and I have to say even though the Saturn is my system of choice there is a ton of great games on the Playstation to check out. Outside of fighting games (well except Soul Blade), imo it's pretty difficult to go wrong with the Playstation. A few of my favorites include:

• Gran Tourismo
  • Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
  • Toomba
  • Klonoa
  • Wipeout
  • Strider 2
  • Suikoden
  • Bushido Blade
  • Silent Hill
  • Final Fantasy Tactics
  • Tenchu
  • Einhander
  • Ace Combat
  • Chrono Cross
  • Trap Gunner
  • Super Puzzle Fighter
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • Colony Wars
  • Ray Force
  • Soul Blade
  • Resident Evil
  • Resident Evil 2
  • Parasite Eve
  • Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
  • Armored Core
  • Buster Bros Collection
  • All of the Working Designs stuff

...not a bad list for someone living vicariously through friends and what not. Though I did eventually get a Playstation of my own, it was an overheating unit that I never got around to properly fixing. As much as it hurts me to admit, the original Playstation was a real game changer and had a lasting effect on the hobby. When I got a PS2 I resolved to finally get some Playstation but just didn't get too far into building collection, so I only have Final Fantasy Origins, Gran Tourismo 2, and Resident Evil 2. I should probably get back around to growing that part of my game library next year.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

Syndicate wrote:...so this is a console of the month I've been thinking about for a while and really been meaning to get back to. During the 5th gen console race I was a broke-ish college student and still had one foot in the console wars :lol:. So when the time came for to me buy something, picking up a Saturn was a no brainer for me as a Sega fan. However, the PSX always had a bunch of stuff that I really wanted to check out. Thankfully all of my friends and associates in college all had Playstations, and I have to say even though the Saturn is my system of choice there is a ton of great games on the Playstation to check out. Outside of fighting games (well except Soul Blade), imo it's pretty difficult to go wrong with the Playstation. A few of my favorites include:

• Gran Tourismo
  • Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
  • Toomba
  • Klonoa
  • Wipeout
  • Strider 2
  • Suikoden
  • Bushido Blade
  • Silent Hill
  • Final Fantasy Tactics
  • Tenchu
  • Einhander
  • Ace Combat
  • Chrono Cross
  • Trap Gunner
  • Super Puzzle Fighter
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • Colony Wars
  • Ray Force
  • Soul Blade
  • Resident Evil
  • Resident Evil 2
  • Parasite Eve
  • Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
  • Armored Core
  • Buster Bros Collection
  • All of the Working Designs stuff

...not a bad list for someone living vicariously through friends and what not. Though I did eventually get a Playstation of my own, it was an overheating unit that I never got around to properly fixing. As much as it hurts me to admit, the original Playstation was a real game changer and had a lasting effect on the hobby. When I got a PS2 I resolved to finally get some Playstation but just didn't get too far into building collection, so I only have Final Fantasy Origins, Gran Tourismo 2, and Resident Evil 2. I should probably get back around to growing that part of my game library next year.

That's a great list of games. The Saturn had 2D fighters on lockdown for sure but the PS1 still had a few respectable ports. I really should get the Armored Core games before prices go even higher with Armored Core VI's announcement.

Speaking of growing PS1 libraries, I've added a few more games to my collection this month. I got a pretty good deal on Kartia considering what it is going for now. The case was all beat up and cracked but I have replacement cases stockpiled.