Console of the Month (April 2022): XBox 360

Join in on our classic gaming club!
Note
Next-Gen

Re: Console of the Month (April 2022): XBox 360

Post by Note »

Gucci wrote:Awesome response Note. It reminded me to mention how I got my first 360.

Great story about how you got your 360. That's dope that you got it at such a discount!

JoeAwesome wrote:@note, There’s a way to transfer saves if you want to migrate to the slim system (or any other). It’s a USB product, pretty cheap to pick up around here. Lmk if you need help.

Oh wow, had no idea this was possible. What's the name of the USB product? Also, do you have any links with information on how this can be done? Feel free to PM me if you think that's more appropriate.
Melek-Ric
32-bit

Post by Melek-Ric »

Ziggy587 wrote:
Ninja Gaiden II - This got an "upgraded" Sigma port on the PS3, but some say this version is still better. The gameplay is intense, I'm having a blast playing it so far.

Greatest 3D action game ever made in my option. If you can play in on a One X or Series X, it's even better thanks to it being enhanced to 4K, locked 60 FPS.

Ziggy587 wrote:Perfect Dark Zero - From what I've read, this game is just sort of mediocre. I played the first level and there was really nothing that sucked me in. Although I guess I could say the same thing about the original N64 game, I never cared for it much.

You're right, but in 2005 at launch, this game was awesome to my roommate and I. CoD 2 was a better-playing FPS (and selling), but PDZ had a lot more modes and content, if you could get past the fact that it wasn't as good as PD1. We played this way more than I care to admit, but once Gears 1 came out, we abandoned it. Game difficulty is pretty unbalanced on harder difficulties. Achievements are hard to get as well. I still have 1 mission to beat on Perfect Agent.

I bought Forza Motorsport 4 a long time ago but I wanted a racing wheel to play it. I need to buy one for the 360. If anyone has a decent one they want to sell, hit me up.
"Challenging my unit was both foolish and reckless! You are nothing more than my prey... one that is soon to be retired!"
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Post by JoeAwesome »

Note wrote:Oh wow, had no idea this was possible. What's the name of the USB product? Also, do you have any links with information on how this can be done? Feel free to PM me if you think that's more appropriate.

It's this. It goes for a lot less if you shop around, though. I found one at a local game store for ~$5. I've also seen it at a nearby gamestop for ~$3. They're not as in demand as they once were, so if you find it locally, it shouldn't be expensive like on Amazon.

Basically, unplug your HDD on your old system, hook it up this device, and plug it via USB to your new system and transfer the files in the system menu. Mind you, I haven't done this yet, so I don't know how much more involved it is, but this is was the device was exactly built for: transferring your old system files to your new system. However, I do hear there are some files which may not transfer over (profile protected?), so I'd recommend doing some research (like I will) to see what those are.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

When the Xbox 360/PS3/Wii generation came out, my first reaction was that I didn't need any more consoles and they didn't really offer anything I wanted.
But by 2010, I was convinced to get an Xbox 360 and I quickly fell in love with the system. I had an original Xbox but like the 360, I never had much interest in the popular FPS titles. I appreciated the odder Japanese games that filled the 360's catalog: Dead Rising, Deathsmiles, Bayonetta, etc. I also appreciated that I could get a high quality arcade stick and play modern fighters and shmups, as well as classic arcade games either on compilations, XBLA, and the poorly-received Game Room which wasn't actually totally terrible.

Like it was for others, the 360 was definitely my system for 2D shooters. I have most of the American releases as well as a good number of the region-free Japanese games: Eschatos, Ginga Force, Mushihime-sama Futari, Dodonpachi Saidaijou, and Shooting Love. 10th Anniversary. I'm really kicking myself for not getting Muchi Muchi Pork & Pink Sweets when it was affordable, I hope they get ported to PS4 or Switch at some point.
I've actually been building up my 360 collection over the past couple years because there are so many classics from that generation I haven't played. Assassin's Creed, Gears of War, any of the Halo games (even though ODST came bundled with my console). There's a lot out there I want to play and it's thankfully mostly inexpensive!

I'm lucky to have never got the Red Ring of Death. I know mine was a later internal revision that was supposedly less susceptible to it (and has that handy-dandy HDMI port), but I think *all* original-style 360s can suffer from it. I hate not knowing that it could suddenly die without warning.
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Post by JoeAwesome »

The Jasper revision gets all the love out of the phat editions, but I've had good experiences with the older Falcon revisions *knocks on wood*
lordb0rb4
32-bit

Post by lordb0rb4 »

What a bug hunt 8)
Melek-Ric
32-bit

Post by Melek-Ric »

Ironically, my 360's power supply died yesterday.
"Challenging my unit was both foolish and reckless! You are nothing more than my prey... one that is soon to be retired!"
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Melek-Ric wrote:Ironically, my 360's power supply died yesterday.

I was laughing out loud when I first saw the power supply for my 360. I don't know if all the revisions are like this, but mine has a FAN in the power brick. I've never seen that before. It's just so Microsoft to have something like that. It wasn't enough that the 360 itself runs super hot, the motherfucking power supply runs hot enough to require a fan! I've seen tons of in-line bricks before. The Wii, Wii U, PS2 slim, every laptop AC adapter ever... and I've never seen a fan in one.

Not sure how they die, but maybe it's an easy fix?
Melek-Ric
32-bit

Post by Melek-Ric »

Ziggy587 wrote:
Melek-Ric wrote:Ironically, my 360's power supply died yesterday.

I was laughing out loud when I first saw the power supply for my 360. I don't know if all the revisions are like this, but mine has a FAN in the power brick. I've never seen that before. It's just so Microsoft to have something like that. It wasn't enough that the 360 itself runs super hot, the motherfucking power supply runs hot enough to require a fan! I've seen tons of in-line bricks before. The Wii, Wii U, PS2 slim, every laptop AC adapter ever... and I've never seen a fan in one.

Not sure how they die, but maybe it's an easy fix?

I knew it had a fan in the psu. I've seen other psu's with fans, but not many. I've had this 360 since early 2010, so this brick is at least 12 years old. It's been plugged in all that time. I don't know if it's fixable, but the major benefit of it being external is I can just buy another. The light is a solid red on the brick. I assume any phat 360 power brick will work with this Jasper? I know the jasper drew the least amount of power, being the last phat revision.

EDIT: I had the psu unplugged for 2 days. I hooked to back up to another outlet. Solid orange, standby light. Hooked the console up, solid green light, 360 works fine. Maybe the psu overheated and/or the outlet was the issue?