Console of the Month (April 2022): XBox 360

Join in on our classic gaming club!
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Re: Console of the Month (April 2022): XBox 360

Post by JoeAwesome »

opa wrote:RE: netflix - my parent's used a Wii until the last day of service. lol

I liked the 360 back in the day. I owned one before the PS3. Very good co-op/multiplayer game machine. Recently I've went back and played a little of Fallout 3 and it still holds up pretty well to this day. Who would've thought that a wasteland didn't need great graphics? haha

I basically just have one for the odd and end game session now. It's really only ever hooked up to play Deathsmiles around Halloween. Speaking of Deathsmiles - I did use the face plate that came with the game. Was I the only one? I wish newer systems had removable face plates. That was really fun to have your favorite title displayed on the console.

Same on owning the 360 before the PS3. I thought to myself, "You have to install the games before you can play them?! PFFFFT."

I see now that was unavoidable for the future...

I'm enjoying it a bunch nowadays with a hacked system. It could easily be up there in my mind as the most fondest of systems, and I've owned everything from NES onwards until this gen, most within a year or less from launch (except the Sony systems for some reason).

I have the Deathsmiles face plate, and while I don't use that, I alternated between one for The Outfit (fun game, btw) and a metallic silver one I drew on maybe 17 years ago. I kid you not, I'm looking at the last face plate on my second phat system right now. :lol:
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

So does the XBox 360 require a login to play like the XBox One does?

That is one of the things I hate most about the XBox One.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Limewater wrote:So does the XBox 360 require a login to play like the XBox One does?

That is one of the things I hate most about the XBox One.

No, it does not. However, it requires you to be logged into Xbox Live in order to download any game updates or oXbox compatibility patches.
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

Awesome to read everyone's experiences with the XBox 360 and to see some pictures of collections. The 360 was released while I was in college, I didn't get one at the time of release, but a few of my friends and roommates did, so I had the opportunity to play it a lot. My friends would normally play Halo and Gears of War, which I ended up getting into a bit as well.

Once I was done with school and had a job (around fall of 2009), with some disposable income, I was debating between a PS3 or a 360. I ended up going with a 360, because at the time I was interested in trying out some games online, and more of my friends owned that system. I believe I got my console with Gears of War 2, which I was really into. I enjoyed both the solo campaign and some of the online modes. Definitely recommend Gears of War 2 to anyone just getting into the system!

Another huge release for me was Street Fighter IV. I couldn't wait for this game to come out -- this might actually be the last game I picked up on or close to release day. I called Video Games NY to set aside a copy for me and went there during my lunch break at work to pick it up. A few months later my friend and I went to the same store to pick up Hori EX arcade sticks specifically to use for SFIV. I spent a ton of time playing this game with friends, and it's definitely up there as one of my most played games on the system.

As was mentioned by others, I'm also a fan of shmups and picked up a few on the 360 as well, both in the physical format and digitally. My favorites at this point are probably Raiden Fighters and Mushihimesama Futari. However, I would also like to get Eschatos and Death Smiles, as I think I would really enjoy those too. The CAVE collection also looks amazing.

It's been the source of a lot of co-op entertainment for my partner and I. The past few years, we have played through Castle Crashers, both Left 4 Dead games, Diablo III, Resident Evil 6, and Borderlands. Earth Defense Force 2025 is another co-op title I've had a lot of fun with, but unfortunately my partner didn't really get into it, so I haven't spent as much time with it as I would like. We've really enjoyed these games, and I'm interested in purchasing some other co-op games, especially any action RPGs, so Dungeon Siege III is definitely on my list.

Another great experience I had on the system more recently was last year playing Rayman Origins for January 2021's Together Retro. Truly awesome platform game, and one of my favorite games I've played in the last few years. Highly recommend it to any fans of 2D platformers. I was totally hooked on this game and looked forward to playing it every night after work for a few weeks until I finished it.

The 360 is actually the last console I bought, and is the only console I have hooked up to a modern TV. While I have enjoyed a lot of games on it, there are some aspects to it which annoyed me after some time. As mentioned earlier in the thread, the issues with gamer profiles, having to be online to access certain basic features, and having to wait for a large update to finish before I could start a gaming session, I found particularly frustrating at times. Having to pay a monthly fee to play games online was also a pain, and something I still don't like the idea of. Another frustrating issue I dealt with and still have an issue with one of my controllers, are the battery packs not staying connected, and the controller randomly and sometimes repeatedly turning off during gameplay. Not to end my post with the negatives, but I think it's important to bring up both sides of my experience. Due to these issues, it actually made me turn back to start purchasing games for older systems more frequently, and made me fully realize I enjoyed the gaming experience from a previous era a bit more.

My original console from 2009 is still hanging on, but more recently, it's had an issue reading game discs, and it's taken quite a number of tries to get discs to load. I think I'll need to try to take it in to a local game shop to get analyzed and repaired. I do also have a slim model on hand that was a hand me down from my partner's cousin, which I can use for now. But I'd really like access to my saves on the hard drive and digital games, so I'm willing to get my other model repaired.

This thread's motivated me to take a look again at some 360 games I wanted to purchase in the past but never did. Bayonetta, Dead Space, XCOM, and Arkham Asylum are up there on my list.
Last edited by Note on Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gucci
64-bit

Post by Gucci »

Awesome response Note. It reminded me to mention how I got my first 360.

I used to work at the local Staples. Back then, Microsoft had this rewards program for retail employees where PCs and other MS products were sold. You’d do these training courses and get points that you can use for merch like shirts, pins, and hardware. One of those items was the black first gen Xbox 360. I think the retail price at the time was like $350 to $400 and I got the thing for $99 with a shit ton of points saved up.

I ended up trading it in later on down the line for the Slim.

I still have a tee shirt from the program though. It was a brown shirt with the Zune logo. I’ll look for it later and post it here.
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
marurun

Post by marurun »

So is the shirt a shitzu(ne) shirt?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Post by JoeAwesome »

@note, There’s a way to transfer saves if you want to migrate to the slim system (or any other). It’s a USB product, pretty cheap to pick up around here. Lmk if you need help.
Gucci
64-bit

Post by Gucci »

Lol yeah just about. I mean, the color isn’t doing it any favors:
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
Melek-Ric
32-bit

Post by Melek-Ric »

One of my favorite consoles, probably in my top 3. Hard to believe it's as old as it is. I still have my Jasper hooked up, ready to play in my bedroom.
"Challenging my unit was both foolish and reckless! You are nothing more than my prey... one that is soon to be retired!"
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

Is there any way to play Snoopy Flying Ace? It seems to be a full blown masterpiece, but it looks like it was delisted.