Join in on our classic gaming club!
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Together Retro 2023 - Upcoming Console of the Month list

by alienjesus Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:29 am

Hi all

I've had a few people ask me to share a list of which consoles will be console of the month each month. I'd initially been keeping this a surprise each month but some people would like to have notice so they can prepare games to play for each system, and that's fine by me!

So, here's the schedule for 2023. It covers most of the remaining big consoles that I hope will generate some discussion.

January 23: NES
February 23: Dreamcast
March 23: Wii
April 23: Game Boy Advance
May 23: Playstation 3
June 23: Game Gear
July 23: Xbox
August 23: Nintendo 64
September 23: Mega Drive
October 23: Neo Geo Pocket Color
November 23: Gamecube
December 23: ???

I need an idea of December's console though, as I'm out of obvious options by then. I want an option that people will want to actually talk about! Here's some possibilities, share some thoughts or other ideas you might have:

- Go with something 2nd gen (Colecovision, Intellivision, Game & Watch)
- Go with something more niche or obscure (3DO, Virtual Boy, Wonderswan, 5200, 7800, Jaguar, Lynx)
- Go with something more modern but still not current (Vita, Wii U, 3DS)
- Go off track from 'Console' of the month (Arcades, PC, other home computers)

2022s console list:
January: Sega Saturn
February: PlayStation 2
March: Game Boy & Game Boy Color
April: XBox 360
May: Turbografx/PC Engine
June: Nintendo DS
July: Atari 2600
August: Sega Master System
September: Super Nintendo
October: PlayStation Portable
November: Neo Geo AES
December: PlayStation (1)
Last edited by alienjesus on Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro 2023 - Upcoming Console of the Month list

by alienjesus Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:37 am

Quick bump as I've edited the first post with 2023 plans!
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:33 am

OMG, the Wii and PS3 are retro? Time isn't fair! :lol:

Just a quick suggestion... Perhaps switch October and November. I think the Gamecube would have a better horror selection for October. And it might be better to put the less popular console in a month were participation starts to taper off (anyone that's gonna play it is gonna play it no matter what month it's in).

Maybe since December is such a dead month for the forums, we should leave it more open ended? Maybe make it holiday themed? Games that have a Christmas theme in them (there are many). And/or people can share stories about games they've acquired in Christmas past, attached memories, etc.

And I also love the idea of non-console gaming for future months. If you do arcades and computers, I'd recommend making some kind of reference to break them up by genre or era or something. Just because those platforms are so vast and span so much time. We could get more months out of them if they're aren't wide open. Like, instead of just "arcades" maybe do arcades from a certain era or company. Like single screen arcade games. Or arcade games from a particular publisher like Sega or Capcom. For computers, there's tons of non-PC platforms we could do. Commodore 64, Amiga, MSX, etc. DOS and Windows PC are more like arcade, you'd have to break it up because they're just too vast. Maybe by genre? Or if we wanted to make it more console like, do it by hardware. Like "486 era gaming" or something, you have a 486 DX2 66 with 16 MB of RAM, although that gaming library would still be vast it still focuses on a certain era of gaming.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:46 am

Excellent! I’m excited for 2023. Thank you again for hosting.
Return to Together Retro