Join in on our classic gaming club!
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro December 2021 - Camelot on the Spot

by o.pwuaioc Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:50 am

Anyone else playing the Mario Tennis/Golf games? I actually fired up Mario Golf on the GBC a couple weeks ago. My skills at it have deprecated greatly. I think I want to put in some time and effort when I can, though, because they were always my favorite. My N64 is still not hooked up, though, so I'll stick with the GBC games.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:48 pm

I’ve said it once, and I’ll say it again…Mario Golf on the GBC is one of the best video games of any generation on any platform. If anyone reading this hasn’t played it yet; they should.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:20 pm

Flippin' heck, I totally forgot that I own but have basically never played both Mario Golf 64 and Mario Tennis 64! Maybe this will be the month I finally check one of them out :O
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Note
Next-Gen

by Note Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:26 pm

o.pwuaioc wrote:Anyone else playing the Mario Tennis/Golf games? I actually fired up Mario Golf on the GBC a couple weeks ago. My skills at it have deprecated greatly. I think I want to put in some time and effort when I can, though, because they were always my favorite. My N64 is still not hooked up, though, so I'll stick with the GBC games.

I will probably play some Mario Tennis on the N64. This is a game I had when I was a kid. My sister and my friends clocked a lot of hours playing this game multi player. It was up there for us when it came to four player N64 games, right there with Mario Kart 64 and Super Smash Bros. We also used to like to play 2 vs. 2 against the computer.

I like to play as Boo and my sister would usually pick Birdo. Lol.

I've also never played Mario Golf on the N64 actually. I probably won't be able to next month, but I'd like to track down a copy.

prfsnl_gmr wrote:I’ve said it once, and I’ll say it again…Mario Golf on the GBC is one of the best video games of any generation on any platform. If anyone reading this hasn’t played it yet; they should.

Gotta admit, I've never played Mario Golf on the GBC! I'm gonna have to check it out through emulation.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:11 pm

Definitely check both of the GBC games out. They're different experiences from the N64 versions, but all four games are great. (I wouldn't go as far as prfsnl_gmr though). I have 3 golf games that I still play, and Mario Golf on the GBC and N64 are two of them. Neo Turf is the third. All are fantastic, and I really can't find a reason to own any more unless you're really into golf games. Obviously tennis has a few more options, but even then, these two Camelot games are cuts above what came before and even most of what came after.
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:48 am

Putting in about 30 min into Shining and the Holy Ark every morning and currently am around level 13 and wandering around the 2nd graveyard by the mansion.
I'm loving this game, but man the slowdown is insane. I am having issues with the controller port on my Saturn, but this game drops FPS often. I don't think this has anything to do with my Saturn - anyone else who is playing this notice the slowdown - especially in the main town?
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:00 am

SpaceBooger wrote:Putting in about 30 min into Shining and the Holy Ark every morning and currently am around level 13 and wandering around the 2nd graveyard by the mansion.
I'm loving this game, but man the slowdown is insane. I am having issues with the controller port on my Saturn, but this game drops FPS often. I don't think this has anything to do with my Saturn - anyone else who is playing this notice the slowdown - especially in the main town?

Yep, it's not just you, there's lots of slowdown - especially I've noticed in areas where you have a long sight line (like in the main town) or in dungeons when you're at a junction and can see multiple side paths ahead of you.

I've been powering through Shining The Holy Ark too. I was at the South Shrine when the month started (just a bit ahead of where Spacebooger is at now) and I've cleared that and the next few dungeons too. I'm fairly sure I'm overlevelled - I did some grinding on the game's equivalent of metal slimes in the East Shrine - for comparison, the other enemies in the shrine give about 150 experience points if you hit them with the pixies first. This enemie gives about 4000.

I'm about ready to go into the final dungeon now, although I couldnt afford to buy much of the games best armour I think I'll get by anyway.
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:46 am

Tell me more about this grinding. I love grinding and being overleveled. In these games, I usually wait as long as possible to promote characters (in the SF games I always waited 5 levels past the minimum promotion level). For whatever reason working on the grind is so rewarding when you just trounce through the rest of the game.

So I was not supposed to be in the graveyard yet, I need to explore the mansion first. That is where I am now. These stupid locked doors are driving me crazy when you only have limited time to play each sitting.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:00 am

SpaceBooger wrote:Tell me more about this grinding. I love grinding and being overleveled. In these games, I usually wait as long as possible to promote characters (in the SF games I always waited 5 levels past the minimum promotion level). For whatever reason working on the grind is so rewarding when you just trounce through the rest of the game.

So I was not supposed to be in the graveyard yet, I need to explore the mansion first. That is where I am now. These stupid locked doors are driving me crazy when you only have limited time to play each sitting.

You cant do the grinding til the East Shrine, which is one of the later dungeons. You need items from earlier dungeons to get in so no visiting early. In the very first room, if you walk back and forward on the top wall of the room, the only enemy that appears is called a Hattori. It's quite strong (it knows spark 2) and it tends to run away, but a strong enough party can take it down in 2-3 rounds of attacks. Most of my party got a level for each Hattori when I first fought it. I was maybe level 3 promoted when I first encountered them.

I wouldn't recommend waiting past the minimum promotion level in this one (which is level 20!). In Shining Force, the level cap was lower overall, and when you promoted it reset exp gain so you levelled up faster. In this game, neither of those are true - you can reach level 99 and will come nowhere close (I'm about level 19 even with the grinding going into the final dungeon). In addition, exp doesnt reset, so it'll make it harder to gain levels when you're promoted if you wait later as more exp will be needed for each. The stat boosts are higher per level up promoted, and you learn better spells promoted than unpromoted. Basically, as soon as a character hits level 20 I'd advise leaving the dungeon and promoting asap.
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:11 am

So in Shining the Holy Ark I have been wandering around the Mansion for while. I was kinda lost for an hour or so - I am only using guides to find all of the Pixies. I think I leveled up too much while lost By the time I found and had Basso join the team I was level 17 and he was only level 10.
I have all of the items (clock key) and am ready to fight the boss (I think) of the mansion.
BLOG | BST
Return to Together Retro