Join in on our classic gaming club!

What 2nd place TR game should we play in December?

Poll ended at Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:40 am

Playing with Power: Portable Power!
33%
Camelot on the Spot
33%
Famicom Exclusives
6%
Gothic Games
11%
Digital Retro
17%

Total votes : 18
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Together Retro December 2021 Poll - Runner-Up Run-Off!

by PartridgeSenpai Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:40 am

Hey, everyone!

Let's get to voting on the 2nd place entries from July through November's TR themes. In the case where there was a tie, I just picked the more interesting of the two to be used here. Here are each of the themes as described in their original posts.

------

Playing with Power: Portable Power! (monochrome Game Boy)

I feel like almost everyone has some experience with the Game Boy released in 1989 but then EXPLODED in 1998 with the release of Pokemon and the Game Boy Color in the US. But I know for myself and some others, the monochrome era games are largely mysterious and unknown. Sure, you might know Super Mario Land or Kirby's Dream Land, but have you played Heiankyo Alien or Daedalian Opus? Give yourself a chance to explore the vast but oft-neglected world of old school monochrome Game Boy! What hardware you play it on is up to you: the original GB is kind of rough with its blurry green screen, so folks are definitely welcome to play on a GB Color, Advance, Super Game Boy, or even emulating on a PC. But those black cartridge "Game Boy Color enhanced" games are OUT! Monochrome only!

----

Camelot on the Spot

Camelot Software Planning started out in 1990 as Sega CD4 then quickly renamed to Sonic Software Planning and was known for the development of the Shining series. During their tenure with Sega, they released a multitude of great RPGs for the Genesis, Game Gear, Sega CD, and the Saturn. They had a brief stint working with Sony and eventually ended up as an exclusive second party developer for Nintendo, creating fun sports titles such as Mario Golf and Mario Tennis, and the Golden Sun series. Camelot has a long resume of games, spanning a few different genres and it’s great to see them still around. This month let’s delve into some of the games from this developer!

----

Famicom Exclusives

The wild popularity of the Famicom in Japan means there are a lot of strange and wonderful gems to be dug up and enjoyed by western gamers. Or maybe you want to play some of the console's more bizarre and and obscure shovelware? I won't judge. This category is for games that just didn't make the leap to the NES for whatever reason.

----

Gothic Games

Now, as I mentioned, I don't like Horror Games. But, for October, I had to pick one category appropriate for the Month. So, for now, we are going with Gothic Games. Anything with a Spooky aesthetic would be perfect for this category, like the Castlevania Series would be great. Think of Non-M Rated Horror Games. No Blood spurting everywhere, but more of that unnerving feeling of dread.

----

Digital Retro

Digital distribution has been a wave sweeping over the medium for well over a decade now, which means a lot of games that have only existed digitally are now retro! (At least according to our 10 year rule :b). PSN nearly going away on older platforms earlier this year made me think about just how much is on these services that's under appreciated. This is a category dedicated to playing games that were at least originally only released digitally (a really well-performing digital-only game that got a physical release later is fine, so something like Tokyo Jungle would be perfectly fine to do~).

Let's have fun examining what devs tried to do in the early days of digital distribution, and exploring what features often defined games from back then. Sure, they were often simple, but like with one of my favorite games of this category, Tokyo Jungle, the clever design that could come from this enforced simplicity often made for some very cool and interesting experiences ^w^

Tragically Impossible Games:
- Tokyo Jungle (It came out in 2012 TwT)

Possible games:
- Dead Nation
- 'Splosion Man
- Konami WiiWare Rebirth titles (and most WiiWare games, really)

----

The poll will run until right up until the end of the month, give or take. Happy voting! ^w^
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
SpaceBooger

Re: Together Retro December 2021 Poll - Runner-Up Run-Off!

by SpaceBooger Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:50 pm

I voted for Camelot. I have always wanted to play Beyond the Beyond, but the reviews and the few minutes I played it (I still have my copy I bought after beating FF7) I abandoned it for Wild Arms.
So, if this wins I have an excuse to play through it.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:04 pm

I also voted for Camelot. I’ve been playing a lot of their Saturn stuff lately - I’ve finished Shining Force 3 and Shining Wisdom, so I could use the month to polish off Shining The Holy Ark and complete the English set.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:04 pm

My votes are in! Thanks for hosting, Pidge!
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:41 am

prfsnl_gmr wrote:My votes are in! Thanks for hosting, Pidge!

No problem! I'll do my best to host for whatever wins, unless the person who originally made that topic wants to host it instead~

I'm not sure what I'll vote for, myself. I might just wait and see~. For Camelot, I've been pretty curious about Beyond the Beyond too. I've read that it's a pretty damn rough time (uninspiring story and VERY grindy battle system), and that is just fascinating and janky to capture my attention :lol: . But at the same time, I also love an excuse to dive into GameBoy stuff and Famicom stuff. Decisions decisions :O
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:47 am

Only another day or so until the poll ends! Camelot has just pulled ahead by one vote! Will it beat out Monochrome GameBoy fun? :O

If it does, I'll need to go out and pick up Shining The Holy Ark, because what I stocked up for after Megami Tensei: Last Bible was GameBoy games, not Camelot games :lol:
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:45 am

If Game Boy wins, I'll jump in and make the thread since it was my topic originally. The monochrome GB library is so vast that there plenty of largely forgotten but still fun games out there waiting to be rediscovered!

But I'll still try to participate if Camelot wins! I've been thinking I need to replay Shining Force or Shining Force II on the hardest difficulty and use a guide to find all the hidden characters. I'm mostly just waiting for my new CRT to come back from the repair shop before I hook up my Genesis.
Syndicate
32-bit

by Syndicate Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:55 pm

This looks like a cool one, I'd like to see Gothic Games or Digital Retro get the nod but it really looks like it'll be a GameBoy or Camelot month.
Return to Together Retro