Join in on our classic gaming club!
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Together Retro July 2021 - Alms for the Poor

by Nemoide Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:04 pm

For this month's Together Retro, we're aiming to play the cheapest games we can find!
The rules are a bit loose, but the goal should be games worth less than $15 USD by ebay or retail pricing. But if you want to challenge yourself, try to find the absolute cheapest game you can that you're still willing to play! It doesn't matter if you're going out and getting something new or something from your backlog. We all know Racketboy has a number of guides for "best games under $X" but they've just about all become irrelevant over the past year and a half.

I'm going to be curious to see what people find! Maybe some new hidden gems will be discovered! Maybe it'll be kind of fun to sink time into a long-forgotten 4/10 game! Maybe you'll have fun with a sports game even if you don't enjoy the actual sport! Maybe you'll stumble upon a beloved classic that was printed in such a large quantity that it's still not valuable!

As for myself, I think I'll be aiming for one of the neglected sports games in my collection: perhaps the copy of NHL All-Star Hockey '95 for Sega Genesis I picked up last year at a garage sale or Baseball for Game Boy
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro July 2021 - Alms for the Poor

by PretentiousHipster Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:07 pm

Is it ok if I continue cheap wii games that I've started the month before?
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:16 pm

Portable gaming is the way to go for this theme in my opinion, outside of some super successful consoles like Wii and PS2. There's an absolute abundance of fantastic (or at least interesting) games for Game Boy, DS and Game Gear which can be had for a few quid.

I have been taking a look at cheap games for more expensive systems and seeing what can be had too. It's slim pickings on Saturn, but there's some pretty great stuff on Gamecube for low prices - Resident Evil, Rogue Squadron & every Tony Hawk game for a start!
Michi
Next-Gen

by Michi Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:56 pm

PretentiousHipster wrote:Is it ok if I continue cheap wii games that I've started the month before?

For simplicity's sake, the general rule around here is if it's 10-years-old, it's considered 'retro', so unless otherwise stated I don't see why that would be a problem. There are tons of good Wii games out there that are still relatively cheap right now.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:59 pm

Michi wrote:
PretentiousHipster wrote:Is it ok if I continue cheap wii games that I've started the month before?

For simplicity's sake, the general rule around here is if it's 10-years-old, it's considered 'retro', so unless otherwise stated I don't see why that would be a problem. There are tons of good Wii games out there that are still relatively cheap right now.

Oh no I meant like games I'm already in the process of playing. I remember the 10 years old rule, and also remember how often the retro gaming subreddit and discord fights over what is considered retro :lol:
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:18 pm

No problem if you've already started playing something; just share your experiences in this thread!
marurun

by marurun Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:31 pm

If you started playing it 10 years ago and now it's considered retro, you can pick it up and continue where you left off, yes. That's what you were asking, right? Right?????
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Michi
Next-Gen

by Michi Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:04 pm

Shit, if that's what he was asking, then I envy his memory. I can barely remember where I left off if I stop playing for more than a week :lol:
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:05 pm

That would be a fun experiment, at least for retro games. Take a memory card, or an old save of a game, start from there and try to continue. Maybe that can be a monthly challenge lol
MrPopo

by MrPopo Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:09 pm

PretentiousHipster wrote:That would be a fun experiment, at least for retro games. Take a memory card, or an old save of a game, start from there and try to continue. Maybe that can be a monthly challenge lol

That's actually what I did with my Wild Arms 5 playthrough earlier this year. I was about 5 hours from the end when I stopped playing the save and left it alone for ten years.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Return to Together Retro